Monday, February 19, 2024

Trauma and the Voice

I recently read (and am now re-reading) a book called Trauma and the Voice: A Guide for Singers, Teachers, and Other Practitioners by Emily Jaworksi Koriath. One statistic it highlights is that people are more likely to have experienced abuse or neglect than they are to be left-handed. Therefore, most of us are carrying around some degree of trauma. 

Koriath outlines the recent understanding that places traumatic experiences into two broad categories. The first is shock trauma, where we experience events that overwhelm our system's capacity to respond to threat in real time, such as the speed and danger of a car accident, violent attack, or a sudden fall. The second category is developmental trauma, which refers to the long-term effects and psychological issues that result from abuse and/or inadequate care during critical periods of development. 

She also highlights how some writers have begun to differentiate between what they call "Big T Trauma" (life-altering events) and "little t trauma" (instances of cruelty, silencing, bullying, or shaming that leave their imprints on us). Neuroscientist and researcher Dr. Stephen Porges refers to trauma as "a chronic disruption of connectedness." Author and activist Staci Haines calls trauma "an experience, series of experiences, and/or impacts from social conditions that break or betray our inherent need for safety, belonging, and dignity." 

As you can see, there are many forms and degrees of trauma. Koriath presents her own working definition of trauma, paraphrased from Resmaa Menakem, as something that occurs in the body when the nervous system encounters more than it can process in real time. That “more,” she says, could be light, noise, violence, shame, or any number of other things. The in-the-moment response to this overwhelm is generally to shut down or “numb out.” As a self-protective measure, the mind fights to forget trauma. But, Koriath points out, the body remembers. 

Koriath also cites psychologist Peter Levine who indicates that trauma is not in an event itself, but in the nervous system’s response to the event. Each of us has a different threshold for what events are tolerable and which may result in trauma in the system. As Koriath emphasizes, “Even identical twins can live through the exact same circumstance, and one will experience the event as traumatic and the other may not.” 

It is not, therefore, up to outside observers to decide if someone has been “legitimately traumatized,” since we all process events differently. As Koriath states, “If there is stuck energy in the nervous system, it’s real trauma to that person.” Significantly for singers, if this emotional energy is stored in the body, it can inhibit our best singing and storytelling, which comes from free and unrestrained bodies. 

As a voice teacher, it is way beyond my expertise and scope of practice to try to identify trauma, point it out to my students, or attempt to help them work through it. Instead, as Koriath states, “Our responsibility is to be aware of the prevalence of trauma, and to adopt practices that contribute to nervous system care.” 

Luckily, she gives some specifics. For instance, when singers are in performance studies (like a degree program in musical theatre), they are constantly moving in and out of states of “fight, flight, and freeze.” Because bodies react differently to the feelings of overwhelm that come from perceived threats, our individual systems find ways to keep us safe that Koriath calls “innately brilliant and unique.” What we experience in those moments of stage fright or performance anxiety is the natural response of a healthy and adaptive nervous system. You are not wrong, bad, or "not cut out for this business" if you experience any of these normal, healthy anxieties. Koriath believes we should be better about normalizing the body’s response to the heightened state of performance. Once singers learn to recognize this process as not only healthy but necessary, they can choose to cooperate with it for more freedom onstage. 

How has your practice been this week? How can you stay focused in these last weeks before spring break? 

Now go practice.



5 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this blog post! I feel as though lots of the information presented is not only pertinent within this program and in the realm of vocal production; but allows for basic empathy in the day-to-day as well. For example, the idea that “each of us has a different threshold for what events are tolerable and which may result in trauma in the system”. This sentiment is one that I believe will permit lots of grace in difficult conversations; and is extremely relevant in ideas beyond this one. For me personally, trauma is something that is unignorable in how it has affected who I am as a person. That being said, I’ve never thought of it in this framework in regard to singing, speaking, or expressing vocally before this post! Practice has been difficult over this past week and a half given the fact that I’ve been sick and really had to preserve my voice for rehearsals and class work as well. It has finally started to feel incrementally better so I am looking forward to getting back into a routine with vocal rehearsal.

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an excellent blog post Brian! I have seen many studies and books about trauma, and how it is stored in the body, specifically a book called "The Body Keeps the Score", essentially stating what you did, that the body's natural response to trauma, whether we consciously know it or not is stored somewhere in the nervous system, and it is up to us, and other mental health professionals, to help us understand how to navigate and try to heal. I really appreciate you bringing into play the "legitimately traumatized" argument that I have heard many have, and how it is not really a good baseline because we all handle these traumas differently, and point blank, trauma IS trauma. Sometimes, our bodies form a response to something that we did not even know was going to affect us. I know personally if I am in a high stake performance setting, like an audition or actual performance, my knees get shaky, and I tend to involuntarily swing my arms. But lately, I have been trying to remedy that anxiety, and I believe I have mentioned this in our lessons, I have started doing so by shifting my mindset to instead being excited about what I am presenting rather than being nervous, as I have read the two nerve responses are the same in your brain, and I have noticed that I feel less nervous and more grounded for performances in that context, and that is something I am definitely focusing on doing as I continue practicing and performing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trauma in the voice is a scary thing especially when I'm so prone to sickness and vocal damage, in high school I would constantly lose my voice from improper technique and over singing. Differentiating the different types of trauma between something smaller and “the big T” is a nice way of looking at Trauma through different lenses. Practice throughout the week has been great actually, more and more practice while getting through being sick and learning what I myself have to do to navigate around that is always a good thing in my book.

    Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian! With Into the Woods closing today, I reflected on my nerves the past two weeks and I realized that I have found ways to combat or use them rather than have them against me. If I'm nervous, that's ok, because every character is nervous about something, that's what makes the tension and story so exciting. There were moments in Into the Woods that I realized that I wasn't freaking out on stage! I began to trust myself more in the process and I feel proud of the work that I showed the last two months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. STORY OF MY LIFE! Nerves and anxiety are the biggest struggles I’ve dealt with for my entire time in the mtp. The core of every note I’ve ever gotten and my fears in regards to anything program related boils down to this subject. It’s an extremely hard thing to navigate. And at the end of the day it’s just a mindset thing. I’ve had scenarios where trauma and anxiety have both aided and hindered performances. Sometimes it’s so crippling I can’t move or get words out, I could be crying with no control (my jury last semester), I could get really physically ill. I always get nauseous when I’m nervous. On the flip side, I’ve had it help me too. Sometimes it adds to the story I’m telling. The character could be nervous or heartbroken too. It helps me feel my emotions more fully and get the story across better. It can be both good and bad. It depends on what extremes we’re talking about. Practice has been okay lately! My voice has been tired for quite some time but it’s been better these days!

    ReplyDelete