Sunday, March 10, 2024

Rest

I've been catching up on some reading during spring break, going back to the books, magazines, and journals that have been piling up since the start of the school year. I'm also catching up on the online articles I've been saving, which means I've now closed about half of the tabs that have been open on my computer. (Hallelujah!) 

One noteworthy article I came across, written by Maria-Cristina Necula, features an interview with opera singer Latonia Moore and was published in the September/October issue of Classical Singer magazine. Moore brings up several important topics, like how her training in jazz and gospel singing enriched her operatic singing, and how much her knowledge of music theory has benefited her career. But when asked, "How do you keep your voice in such incredible shape?" one of the main things she highlights is rest.

"There have been times when I needed rest, and rest has been forced upon me. For instance, at the beginning of last season I did Il trovatore in Washington, and when I came to the Met to do Aida, I was not well vocally and physically because I did a very bad thing. I did not take a break. I had gone straight from January to December and my voice said, 'No, you won't!' So, I sang one performance of Aida, and it was just so hard—I was already sick and feeling so run down that I withdrew."

Even though management was understanding, and actually encouraged her to take time off, deciding to step away from a production at the Metropolitan Opera was not easy to do. But she knew it was the right call. 

"It was necessary and I'm so glad I did, because now I feel good again and I know to remind myself: Latonia, take breaks when you know you need them. Lesson learned." 

Those of us who work on an academic calendar know that several breaks are built into our schedule. We get fall break, Thanksgiving break, long weekends for Labor Day, MLK Day, and Presidents Day, spring break, and summer break. Because of that, we sometimes push through when we are tired, knowing that the next time off is just around the corner. Outside of academia, however, breaks may not be so conveniently spaced throughout someone's schedule. In those situations, we may need to be proactive about scheduling (and protecting) our periods of rest. 

I have written previously about the importance of sleep for physical and vocal efficiency as well as it being a prerequisite for learning to occur. In both of those blogs, I cite some of the research that has been done in this area. 

I'm sure there is also research that supports the importance of rest for our mental and emotional health. I could look that up so I could quote it in this blog...but I'm on break. 

I hope you enjoyed your time off and that you were able to rest in all the most enjoyable and meaningful ways. The second half of spring semester always feels like a sprint to the finish. Make sure, as you are completing your work, that you are giving yourself time to rest, as well. 

Assuming you've been able to rest this past week, now go practice. 



7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for closing all your tabs, that is quite the achievement! This is a great blog post, considering I was thinking about this a lot over spring break. When I think back to high school, I remember my teachers, parents, and others forcing breaks upon me. I would work til I was completely burnt out, which would always result in injury or extreme vocal fatigue. I’ve noticed that in college, I have had those moments as well- but I seem to take care of myself much more. I think it has to do with having a lot more independence, and being able to listen to my body at my own time. I tend to do better when I listen to myself and my needs, rather than creating a set time for a break. I noticed I wasn’t as relaxed over spring break, than as I feel on a weekend where I have nothing to do, since it was more of a forced break. I will go practice!

    Hailey Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost..congratulations on being able to close some of your tabs! Yay! Rest is something that I have a complicated relationship with. I find that musical theatre is a business that feels incredibly fast paced; when in one project..you ultimately have to focus on another (such as auditions for upcoming shows). Being in classes, shows, and rehearsal spaces are ultimately areas that I find myself feeling most fulfilled. That being said, I find it hard to compromise and sacrifice work seeing that I want so badly to be a part of it. I find though, that while I am most fulfilled in those specific settings, I truly notice that I feel true happiness when I am balancing those experiences along with rest/hobbies that I enjoy partaking in. I definitely I am looking forward to working towards creating more of a balance and discipline in knowing when to take a break to prevent burn out.

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian! You closed your tabs! A very warm congratulations from me! In terms of rest, especially regarding this Spring Break, I spent the most of my time in bed, as my evenings were filled with tech for Spongebob, which already proved to be a very vocally taxing role for me. I used whatever rest I could get and signs from my body to let me rest and that break could not have come sooner. Now, with the show being over, I am still taking that time to rest at home, as I have seen it be so beneficial for me and my overall mental and physical health. Going from rehearsals every other day on top of school and part time working, to having my after-school hours be empty, I find myself having a lot of free time to rest from those residual rehearsals until I feel better to start integrating more practice and work back into my life. I truly try to listen to my body when I can and not overexert myself, as when I do, the recovery time is longer rather than resting when I can and expediting the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With graduation coming up, I've come to the realization that spring break was kind of my last built-in break for the rest of my life! I luckily had a pretty restful break but I rested so much that right now, it's hard for me to get back up onto my feet a little. I've been blessed to have continuous projects lined up the last 3 years that now that I don't have anything lined up, I'm not doing anything. I have time now to focus on academics and my life and resting but I do wish a part of me had some form of reassurance of what is next. However, now that I'm not in a show, I find that I have time to do things that I haven't been able to do while I'm in a show. I'm going back to the gym and I've been taking time to go out and walk around my neighborhood to get some more air!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the biggest takeaways I have from this college experience is that rest is SO important. Taking breaks is such a necessary thing and it’s something that isn’t really talked about very much. Through the things I’ve worked on and everything I’ve done so far, I realized quickly that my instinct is always to push through. I don’t like taking days off or calling out or not being there for things. It’s something that gives me a lot of anxiety and I’ve always prided myself in that determination and NEED to always be there. But I learned quickly that that also burns me out so much faster and that it becomes so exhausting and is not really sustainable. I remember during the Amina Faye workshop she talked about how the best performers she ever saw were the ones that called out when they needed. They knew their limits and they took care of themselves. When I first started out, that felt like such a weakness and I didn’t want to be “difficult” in any way but I came to realize it isn’t and it actually shows so much maturity and knowledge of oneself. If you know you need to rest, do it. It’s a difficult thing but taking care of your instrument should always be the first priority. And even if everything is fine vocally, taking breaks is so beneficial for your mental health too. Sometimes you just need to connect to yourself again before you jump back into things. This is a big thing I’m gonna carry with me after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've really grown to appreciate rest over this last year. Usually, I don't mind working over my breaks; that's part of why I was willing to take so many credits over the summer this last year. But after such a demanding year with my ankle and summer credits and the first full semester with two majors, I was feeling super worn down by winter break. My body was telling me that it needed to not think about school for a while and that I needed to just take a break. So that's exactly what I did. This semester, I have felt a lot better about managing everything and have been more willing to take a day off over the weekend and to just rest. This blog was a really good reminder of how that applies to the voice and how it can be important to implement your own breaks when they aren't scheduled for you with school.

    Nate Ginsberg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof. A college students' nightmare: the "are you getting enough rest?" question. The short answer is no. But I've been trying to prioritize rest more now that I'm not in rehearsal, and I do notice a big difference. I also use my voice a lot outside of school and classes. I sing all the time, just this weekend I sang for hours each day working on recording for a project/studio album. And then I follow that with grocery shopping, cleaning, and last minute homework and before I know it, it's 11:33pm on a Sunday night and I have to be up at 7:30 tomorrow morning for another full week. As they say "the grind never stops", but I agree with Latonia, I think it should every now and again.

    Helena Goei

    ReplyDelete