Sunday, February 4, 2024

Sondheim did the work for you.

I wrote a blog back in 2016 about when it's OK to deviate from the score or change the notes of a piece of music. I think it was inspired by hearing someone in the MTP say, only somewhat jokingly, "Opt up or opt out!" 

Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with that philosophy. That being said, although I am generally a "stick to the score" kind of guy, I do think there are times when it's appropriate to sing something that isn't on the page, which I outline in that previous blog. (Read it here if you're curious!) 

My teacher at Indiana University, Dr. Robert Harrison, often reminded his students that the text, pitches, and rhythms in a piece of music represent the innermost thoughts of a composer and poet (or lyricist). Our first duty as performers, he would say, is to accurately reflect those thoughts. If we feel license to change those notes, it's almost like we're saying we know this piece of music, and the thoughts that inspired it, better than the person who thought those thoughts and turned them into a song (Oh the thinks you can think!). To this line of thinking, Dr. Harrison would sometimes say, "Go write your own damn song! Stop recomposing this one!"

One instance when Dr. Harrison and I both agree it may be warranted to change the notes and rhythms of a song is if it is with the primary intention of enhancing the communication of the text. A great example is text that is set to four quarter notes with one syllable per note. If we were to speak a phrase in such a strict rhythm, it would probably sound monotonous. As singers, it's likely that we would make the emphasized syllables in that text a bit louder and the de-emphasized syllables a bit softer. We may also dot the rhythms, giving the emphasized syllables a bit more rhythmic duration and the de-emphasized ones a shorter duration. In this way, we're helping the audience understand the text by putting them into more of a speech-like rhythm. 

This is the opposite of the "Opt up or opt out" philosophy (singing a higher note than what is written), whose primary intention seems to be to show off something that the voice can do rather than enhancing the communication of the text. 

In my mind, there are certain composers whose music needs very few adjustments, primary among them Stephen Sondheim and Jason Robert Brown. Unsurprisingly, both of them served as composer AND lyricist in most of the music they have written.  When that's the case, I pay particularly close attention to the way they merge text and musical phrases, assuming that every detail was chosen intentionally. 

I still believe this even though there are some incredibly famous singers who have incredibly well-known recordings of the songs of these incredibly well-recognized composers where they (incredibly) take a lot of liberties with the incredibly well-written notes and rhythms. (Case in point: You folks doing Into the Woods right now, have you compared your part the way you learned it to the original Broadway cast recording?)

How did they get away with such shenanigans? Well, I wasn't there, so I don't know. But, in some ways, trying to reinvent this music makes your job harder as the performer. As David Eggers said in Dem Lab recently, "Sondheim did the work for you." If we just focus on presenting his music the way he has written it, more often than not, the message will probably come across. 

How has your singing been? How have you been negotiating your practicing and vocal progress amidst your show schedule? (I think my entire studio is rehearsing a show right now—or just finished one, or is about to start one.)

Now go practice. 



5 comments:

  1. Being that I got a sneak peek of this blog in my last lesson, I’m very excited to finally see the full thing! Balancing telling the story in my own way, while also honoring the writers emotional journey, I’ve been implementing this a lot lately in my lessons, and working at it on my own time. It’s so easy to compare yourself to the original recording, or to follow their mannerisms. Like you said, in the end, it does make it easier to just follow the work that’s already been done. Balancing my practicing with my schedule has been quite tough, but I am still doing my best to care for my voice and follow what it needs through the fatigue. I will go practice!

    Hailey Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this blog post and I feel as though it came at an optimal time for me! Seeing that I am working on a pop/rock piece right now, taking artistic liberties/making choices is something that seems to be inherent when working on this type of song (making this blog post extremely relevant for me)! That being said, something I’ve been really focusing on is the idea of the “primary intention of enhancing the communication of the text”. I have heard frequently in dem lab the sentiment of “earning the riffs” because they have served the text and the story and aren’t there purely for vocal embellishments. When it comes to musical theater music, I definitely agree that there are composers that ultimately need few adjustments. That being said, I find that there are definitely songs that lend themselves to these individualistic adjustments and are set up in ways that permit this happening. For example, “Another Life” from Bridges of Madison County has a plethora of folk-inspired qualities and riffs that can be played with. As far as practicing goes, I feel as though I have had difficulties in balancing practice with my materials for SpongeBob, auditions, callbacks, and songs that are assigned for our lessons. But, it is a work in progress!

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog post for me to keep in mind, as I tend to find myself listening to cast recordings to help me memorize the melody for songs. More often than not, I am told in my lesson that the rhythm or notes have been taken with creative liberty in those recordings, and thus I have started to learn notes and rhythms that are not correct in the score. I am doing my best to remedy that by getting recordings of the melody in my voice lesson and then, only if I am very confident I have found the subject of the song and the story, I add on to it. Especially with Sondheim and JRB I find it very hard to deviate from the score, as a lot of their music relies on themes found in the character's songs that relate to the overall piece, so its hard to shift notes and rhythms just like that. Meanwhile, practice has been hard to find. With all the upcoming auditions for summer, Spongebob rehearsals, work and school, I find it hard to start finding isolated practice time to work on many songs in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we’ve learned in my lessons, I love to listen to recordings and learn the song based on the rhythms recorded. I have LOVED getting to look at the correct rhythms and notes and finding the motivation behind them. I remember when we were working on “Hard to Speak My Heart” I spent a long time studying those rhythms and trying to get them right, and then when I did get them I felt like I had an even greater understanding of the song and the character, and I felt like I accomplished something big. I think that there is absolutely a time and place to deviate from the score, and I think that the philosophy I stand with the most is know the rules to break the rules when it comes to notes and rhythms. That being said, Sondheim has been my semester so far and I haven’t had a ton of time to find practice aside from Into the Woods this week because of tech and being in the space, but I’m still exploring my book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate an option up, it's both the best thing to exist and the worst. Giving an artist freedom is great and I super support new choices, but for some reason in my brain if I don't see the option up I feel like I won't be the option directors choose. Something about going away from the norm scares me and entices me in a confusing way. For instance the almost like being in love option, I don't like it and I don't like the way it sounds on my best day, but some part of my brain forces me to try and try to make it work.

    Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete