Sunday, January 21, 2024

O Holy Vibrato

One of the best things about the break between semesters is that it affords us the time to do things we enjoy that we don't always have time for during the school year, like watching movies, hanging out with friends and family, or analyzing the vibrato rate and extent of pop singers. 

OK, maybe I was the only one who did that last one. Let me give you some background. 

At one point during the holidays, I was listening to an all-Christmas music radio station and they played songs performed by Aaron Neville ("O Holy Night") and Josh Groban ("Believe") back to back. If you don't know who Aaron Neville is, this duet he sang with Linda Ronstadt in 1990 was one of the big pop love songs when I was growing up. Although, to hear his unique vibrato, you only need to listen to the first few seconds of his rendition of Schubert's "Ave Maria." 

Most of you are probably familiar with Josh Groban, given his stardom in both pop and Broadway spheres. His ever-present, quick vibrato is part of what I believe makes it difficult to categorize where he best fits, genre-wise. 

Regardless, hearing these two singers back to back, I was really struck by how different their vibrato rates are. So, I pulled out the spectrogram (VoceVista Video Pro) to see if I could measure the differences. Those of you who were in "Vocology Day" at Dem Lab (or who just had Voice Pedagogy with me) may remember a bit about VoceVista. As a research tool, it's tremendously useful for voice analysis. But, for my purposes, I kept it pretty simple and just gave it the eyeball test. 

I looked up recordings of both Neville and Groban singing their own versions of "O Holy Night." This first picture is from Neville singing the climactic note on the word "night." 


In the middle of the screen, the wiggly lines show his vibrato. The number of wiggles per second indicates his vibrato rate. How far above and below the pitch each wiggle travels indicates his vibrato extent. In the picture above, we can see that his rate is about 4.5 cycles per second and his extent is not that extensive. 

Earlier in the song, Neville sustained a less climactic note, which looks like this: 


Here, the rate is almost exactly the same as in the other example (about 4.5 cycles per second). But, looking again at the middle of the screen, you can see that the extent (the size of each bump) is much greater. This means that he is singing much further above and below the pitch. 

In Groban's rendition, his climactic note is on the second syllable of the word "Noel," which looks like this: 


His vibrato rate is roughly 5.5 cycles per second, which is an entire cycle faster per second than Neville's. We can also see that his extent seems to be somewhere between Neville's two examples—wider than Neville's climactic note but not as wide as his second example. Groban's extent also seems to be more consistent in this one-second selection than Neville's, especially in the second example where the peaks and valleys had more variability. 

So, what does all of this mean? For starters, it would seem to confirm what my ears had already told me, that these two singers use their vibrato quite differently from each other. But it also zeros in on how they are different. My suspicion was that Neville uses an unusually slow and wide vibrato. Though it is somewhat slow, it is sometimes wide in extent and sometimes quite narrow. My suspicion for Groban was that his vibrato is faster and wider than most other pop singers. We see in these selections that it is faster than Neville's, but in extent it's somewhere between Neville's two examples. 

I think there is a natural follow-up question to all of this analysis: Which vibrato is better? Well, it depends on what we mean by "better," I suppose. Both singers have made major careers singing the way they do. Neville, who is now 82 years old, has four platinum albums and four top-10 hits as an R&B and soul singer. Groban, who is now 42 years old, has four multi-platinum albums in styles that have been classified as everything from easy listening to pop rock to operatic rock (better known as "popera"). He's also played two leading roles on Broadway. Have these two singers been so successful because of their unique uses of vibrato or despite them? It's probably impossible to say. 

One thing we know about musical theatre singing is that a variety of vibrato rates and extents are used, depending on what era or style of musical theatre is being performed. That can range from a wide and fast vibrato to no vibrato at all to a note that starts with no vibrato and then ends with lots of it! What is "better" may depend on the style, the situation, the emotion of what is being expressed, and what works best in the voices of individual singers. 

How has your singing been this week? 

Now go practice.



5 comments:

  1. That’s so crazy, I ALSO spent my whole break analyzing the vibrato rate and extent of pop singers! All jokes aside, this is a great blog. Josh Groban has a very specific vocal style, and it was quite interesting to literally see that, there are so many warm and cool qualities! It’s hard to compare two great singers, but being able to see it is very intriguing. My singing this week has been pretty solid, I’ve been working on getting exact notes and rhythm in my new pieces. I’ll take this blog into consideration going forward with my practicing.

    Hailey Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post came at a really important time for me! This past week, I've been working on a variety of pieces; going back/revisiting old pieces, working on my “I Am” songs, and also diving into pop/rock in both leisurely and uber-intentional ways. As a person who has a vibrato that feels hard to control, vibrato is something that I immediately analyze and appreciate when hearing others sing. Through working on this range, it’s been easy for me to dissect the different vibrato qualities in not only styles/genres but time periods as well. Not only this, but it has allowed me to become a lot more autonomous in regard to my use of vibrato. It is a very unique experience given the fact that vibrato is essentially released and lacks tension. It has felt extremely counter-intuitive to “muscle through” different styles of music in order to feel the sensation of straight tone that a genre like pop/rock requires.

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed a lot of this concept of vibrato since I started coming to the U. In voice lessons I had taken before college, it was almost presented to me as a skill of sorts to add on to songs to make it not only more challenging but also more appealing to the audience. And while that can ring true for a lot of producers and directors that want singing like that for their show, I don't think vibrato is necessary in all pieces, nor should it be. In Dem Lab all of last year I would hear everyone get a similar note from David Schimdt regarding "Hold and sparkle", mentioning a quality like you said, starting without a vibrato and escalating the note until it has one usually by the end of the song. While it is nice to go back to some songs and apply that to them, I notice the song itself doesn't lend itself a good meaning to apply that vibrato, and again, like you mentioned it all boils down to personal preference. Personally, if it fits a choice in a song to use it, like we have heard in masterclasses regarding riffs among other stylistic choices, it should be motivated by the song and should be used to gain what you want in the song, and I definitely keep that in mind while practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that vibrato is super interesting, especially the aesthetics part of it (similar to all aspects of singing). Having trained with David Schmidt as a little kid, my opinion of vibrato was, and kind of still is, very similar to his - if you have it, use it. I recently have gained a lot of appreciation and respect for those who don’t use it all the time, and for vibratos of varying rates. It takes a lot of control and artistic decision to deliberately put/not put vibrato on a note, as I’ve experienced first hand while working on pop/rock material. I remember last year in pedagogy with Dave, he split us up into groups based on our vibrato rates and size, and it was interesting to see how all of us have differences in vibrato and how none of them are necessarily better or worse, just different. It’s interesting to see that in two successful popular artists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Brian, this is such a "you" blog post and it's so awesome. My singing has been great this week, thanks for asking! I am singing a lot because of Into the Woods, I am also speaking a lot because of Into the Woods, and I am also (healthily) screaming a lot because of Into the Woods. So, any vocalizing I do outside of that is very gentle, warmups/cool downs, or light practicing of material for other classes. Two show days of this show is going to be crazy but a good challenge! I am finding a lot of new progress in my voice just looking on back on how I was singing the witches material last year during the auditions/callbacks. I am equally finding more ease and more power. So overall, it's going well. Hoping to keep that streak alive!

    Helena Goei

    ReplyDelete