Sunday, January 7, 2024

Tiny victories

Happy New Year! 

New semesters and new calendar years are great opportunities to evaluate our big-picture trajectories and then zero in on the day-to-day routines that will help us get where we want to be. I came across some wisdom on this topic on The Mental Game of Musical Theatre podcast by our friend David Eggers. There is a lot of outstanding advice in this podcast coming from David's interviews with Broadway professionals. I recently listened to the episode with actor, singer, and songwriter Gavin Creel and was struck by the way he describes the importance of seeking small, daily joys—what he call "tiny victories." (The two-part episode with Creel is available here and here.).

Essentially, Creel believes that storing up regular tiny victories gives us balance and perspective that allows us to better handle the aspects of life that do not work in our favor. For him, a tiny victory sometimes comes from trimming his hydrangea bushes, or engaging in conversations with the server ("Emma") at his local deli, or committing to regular meditation sessions. By amassing these sorts of small joys, he feels more grounded when challenges arise related to his work ("like walking into that audition room, or weathering that call, 'I'm sorry, Gavin, it's not going your way'") or when faced with one of life's inescapable, larger disappointments ("those breakups, those losses, those deaths"). As he says,

"Those big, big, big things that seem insurmountable are coming for you, for me, for all of us. If I don't have a practice in place for me to be able to weather those things, you'll get through it, but it makes it makes it a lot harder."

While this is powerful advice for big-picture life events, I think the same philosophy can be applied to small-scale events like vocal practice. When we are practicing difficult material, or working to develop complicated techniques, each practice session has the potential to accumulate "tiny losses" or even (to be a bit dramatic) "tiny tragedies." Does the world stop spinning if you crack on a high note? Of course not, but it doesn't feel good when it happens. As we have discussed previously, incorporating "desirable difficulties" that take focus and effort to overcome is an important part of meaningful practice. As singer and voice teacher Aubrey Adams-McMillan posted recently, "Making mistakes is a sign of effort," and both mistakes and effort are necessary for progress. [Consider revisiting "Failure is the only option"]

So, maybe what our practice sessions need in 2024 are intentional tiny victories in order to offset the inevitable tiny tragedies that are part of effortful practice. Maybe every practice session needs to include time when you sing something you love just because you love it. Maybe in every session you should stop at some point to recognize, "Hey, that's something I couldn't do two years ago!" Maybe when you notice the bad feelings that come along with tiny tragedies, you can say, "I'm feeling frustrated by this because I'm a sensitive person, and being a sensitive person is a big part of what makes me a great artist." 

I would guess that, in some sessions, there may seem to be more tragedies than victories (tiny or otherwise). But, if we follow Creel's advice and look for more tiny victories to recognize, the balance may swing in a more positive direction. 

What are some goals you have for this semester in the voice studio? What are some tangible tiny victories you can bring into your singing? 

Now go practice.



9 comments:

  1. I really appreciated this blog post. I am someone who definitely adores the mundane in life: walking down the street listening to your favorite song, my daily journaling, getting coffee with friends, or even just the car ride to school playing some high energy music! I've never really framed this appreciation as "tiny victories", but it sounds like that is exactly what they are. I can confidently say that these small observations and gratitude in my day-to-day, makes the impossible seem a little bit more attainable as I know I can count on the beauties of every day.

    That being said, as a highly self-critical artist (as we all are), I tend to lose sight of the mundane within the space of my own vocal journey. Examples of some things that could be seen as "tiny victories" are smiling at the people in the hallways of the music building, improving my piano/sight-singing skills, or even just picking one of my longer recordings of a vocal warm up to use that day.

    This blog has definitely motivated me to implement this practice into not only my vocal rehearsals, but my journey with theatre at the U for the rest of my time here. This will hopefully build a routine and habit of healthy thinking for after graduation!

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David’s podcast! Some great resources in there- as well as in this blog post! The idea of “tiny victories” is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile. My therapist and I have recently been discussing it, in regards to my mental health. Some days are bad, some days are just meh. But it’s an opportunity to find those tiny victories— my therapist and I call them “low-level euphorias”— and they are within every day. I think it’s about time I start applying this to my singing and performance abilities as well. Often, I think about the negatives about my voice, and dismiss everything positive. But reading this gave me new ideas as to how I’m going to approach my lessons in the future.

    Hailey Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to David’s podcast religiously and loved the episodes with Gavin Creel. When I first listened to it, that was something that I tried to implement a little bit more into my daily life. I think that some days it’s easier than others to fall into the negative, and finding the little things that went well that day can completely change my mindset. Sometimes, that’s just making it to what I said I would be at and participating as fully as I can. Other days it’s finding something new to play with in practice and finding something new and fun in what I’m doing. I’m definitely going to implement it into my practice more and try to find the little steps that get me closer to my goals rather than thinking solely about how far I am from achieving what I want to do, even if it’s just getting into the room and starting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gavin Creel episode came around the same time my therapist gave me similar advice to find small victories and the small pleasures in life which was a funny coincidence to me. I have taken some baby steps with that and have even gotten to a place where I find the tiny victories in acting choices or with my music, it's slow, it's gradual, but it is a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian! I’m not going to lie, I did not have a good start to 2024, and it’s been pretty hard to continue to keep my head up, and there are times where I feel on top of the world but then down back to earth very quick. I had that last semester as well but this semester it’s been rocking back and forth to every other day. I started journaling on bad days but I had a friend tell me that it’s also important to journal on the good days. I want to start taking into consideration of what small good things happened to me and take them with me throughout the day. I really love the quote you put in there that Gavin Creel said. I feel satisfied with the progression I have made the last 4 years, to the point where I can now laugh at my cracks instead of feeling embarrassed. Thank you for listening to ALLLLL of my voice cracks Brian, let’s have one final great semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian! I LOVE this idea!! As you well know, I tend to get down when little things go wrong and my perfectionist tendencies don’t really slay when it comes to practicing so I love the idea of appreciating the good things. In the grand scheme of things, I’ve come a REALLY long way and there’s a lot to be proud of. I don’t think about those things enough and usually take them for granted because I’m always looking towards the next thing but it’s a good idea to stop and assess it all. To realize there will always be a balance. There will always be things I don’t think as well as things I’m happy I did. I’m gonna try and go into my 2024 practice sessions with that mindset a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve used “small wins” in other aspects of life, but not so much in terms of art! Love it! The quote you’ve included from McMillan feels especially relevant for where I am at in my vocal journey right now. I have been getting down on myself lately for the tiny losses (that really do tend to feel much more like tiny tragedies), but it’s refreshing to hear her framing of mistakes as being signs of effort. The new mistakes I’m dealing with are happening because I’m pushing myself and exploring new things vocally! Reframing my mindset in this way to accept these moments as tiny victories of growth is something I can bring into my singing sessions. Another very tangible victory I can incorporate is allowing myself to come back to the storytelling of the song no matter what vocal progress has (or hasn’t) been made. I’ve realized that I’m inhibiting my growth by making too strict of goals for myself– rather than waiting until I’ve perfected what I’m focusing on vocally to incorporate the acting elements, I should be using a more balanced approach. I can learn a lot more about the music and singing when I’m focusing on the storytelling, and I can try different storytelling approaches based on what I’ve learned from the music/singing! Additionally, I would really like to use comparison (in a positive way) this semester. Instead of totally swearing it off, I think it’s important to compare in a reflective way… to remind myself of how far I’ve come + what else I am still capable of. Yay to victories big and small, and to finding something to celebrate in what feels like a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This idea of tiny victories and tragedies is definitely something that I have noticed in my life, as I take much pleasure in appreciating the small things and taking that time for myself to be mindful. I find it helps a lot with my mental health and pushing me to move forward in a healthy manner and improve parts of my life. And I definitely think that applies to my singing and voice lessons. If there are times I know a song will not go the way I was hoping, I do my best to focus on what I did well in the performance, rather than put down what I did wrong and focus on improving that my next go around. In addition to that, I like what you said saying that during practice that if you are struggling with a piece you may not connect to as much, then maybe try singing something you do like after as some sort of reward. Little things like that always make a difference to me, and make the process of practicing so much more enjoyable! I never really realized I could apply it to the arts in such a way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog post hit home. As someone who loves to spiral even after a small mistake, I could stand to take Gavin Creel's words to heart. And it's funny that this post should come at this time, because this semester, my final semester, I am really trying to let go of some of the unnecessary "BFA program pressure". In my time at the U. my biggest hurdle has been trying to get over the pressure placed by some professors and other students. Sometimes even a simple mistake like a voice crack in class for a mock audition sparks and entire conversation and public notes session about it the next day in class. (Yes, this is a real life example that happened to me) Or the times you feel the worst nerves you've ever felt in your life in DEM LAB, of all places, because you're surrounded by peers many of whom don't make an effort to create a supportive and healthy arts environment. In my time away from the program, I didn't feel that pressure. I felt trust and expectations of good work, but that was different. That was inspiring and healthy, not toxic and soul crushing. This year I am really trying to work against that pressure and not let it affect me in ways it has before. And so far, I am doing well. I am trusting myself more, I am letting myself accept the progress I've made and not constantly feel it's not enough; I am taking the wins no matter how big or how small.

    Helena Goei

    ReplyDelete