Sunday, January 22, 2023

How and how often to watch your videos

Last semester, we talked about how important self-evaluation can be, especially by watching yourself on video. Here, we'll talk more specifically about how to do that effectively. 

When watching your videos (whether clips of your practicing, self-tapes for auditions, or Dem Lab performances), you should ask the same questions you would consider whenever evaluating anyone else's singing performance. What works about this performance? What do I like? What is making this effective? What is not working? What is getting in the way of more authentic communication? What could be done differently to make it more successful? Any amateur observer can say "I like this," or "I don't like this." But, as theatre artists, we should be curious as to the why. 

When evaluating your practice clips, I'd recommend watching the videos soon (if not immediately) after you record them. That way you can see and hear what you are doing while you still have a tactile memory of how you created the sounds. If you liked what you saw on the video, try the same thing a few more times to solidify what you did. You can even use this tactic to record yourself singing a phrase of music two or three times in a row but in different ways. Then you can watch to see which version you prefer and, once again, recreate that sound while it's still fresh in your mental and physical memory. If you watch these videos for the first time even a day later, you won't have the same visceral memory and it will be more difficult to recreate those sounds in the same way. 

For performances, like Dem Lab videos, I'd recommend the opposite and instead allow more time to elapse before watching the videos (days, if not weeks). That way, you won't have such strong memory of the feelings and sensations you were experiencing in the moment. This will allow you to evaluate the video more as an outside observer. When you aren't watching with the same physical memory from having just sung, you're better able to give yourself an overview of your performance instead of being more focused on a single element of your singing, like with the practice videos. 

Notice that I'm using the words "evaluate" or"criticize" when it comes to watching yourself. And I absolutely didn't use the words "tear down" or "obsess over" either. You can observe and evaluate by asking the questions above with a true sense of curiosity in order to identify what you are doing well and to strategize about how to improve upon the less effective elements. As I've said previously, feel free to tell your inner critic to shut the hell up!

Remember, the flip side of being your own worst critic is that you can also be our own best evaluator. No one will be able to watch your own performances with as much insight as you. You know what you were thinking at the time. You know what it feels like inside to make those sounds. You have the best idea of how you might recreate or tweak those sounds. The rest of us can guess or make assumptions, but you're the only one who knows. Use that information to your advantage. 

Now go practice. 



12 comments:

  1. This is for sure something that I have been doing. I feel like after I am done singing or even during I am very self aware and then in that moment I can think of the things that I didn't enjoy and figure out what I want to change for the next time. I also do wait a long time to watch my dem lab videos and try to come in with positivity and nicely critique myself. I started implementing this last semester and it has really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so incredibly helpful. Seeing that I’ve had few self-tapes needed this year, and little dem lab performances, i’m definitely going to begin filming my practice sessions. I noticed even within the one filmed performance from dem lab, how beneficial it is to watch myself. In a general sense, its second nature to recognize when something feels “wrong” or “right”. But, if I truly want to elevate my performances and ability to be in tune with myself, I need to begin to watch my habits as a performer and vocalist on video. I’m looking forward to seeing how filming my practice sessions will affect my rehearsal process.

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian! In this current season of self tapes and dem lab performances, having recorded videos of my work has been a battle of frustration and relief. I used to hate my voice, but recording myself more and more has started to make me used to it. I started to have a more positive outlook on my voice from more exposure. Self-tapes have always more of a struggle for me than dem lab. With dem lab, it’s one and done. I get up there, sing, and whatever happens, happens. I can’t change it, and I just have to accept what’s in the moment. With self-tapes, I have the perfectionist temptation to retake the video over and over again. But lately, I’ve limited myself to take 3 tapes that I feel good about, and just stop. Looking at my old tapes compared to now, I noticed the progress I made just within the last year within all of elements of theatre. I’ve started to use more beneficial tactics of criticism rather than tearing myself down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post was came to me at such a great time. I usually do not start listening to my voice lesson recordings until around a day or two days after I have had my lesson, and find myself struggling to pick up certain skills that I could be refining. Most notably are some warms ups that define certain areas of my voice; I tend to find myself confused as to how I could get there in the recording and struggle having the muscle memory of how I felt at the time that resulted in my sound. I had really not thought about how listening to it closer to my voice lessons might affect my progress. I think I will definitely be taking a few notes from this blog post when I approach more practicing, as well as how I view myself in future Dem Lab videos when trying to critique and gain better insight on how my voice works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never really recorded or even filmed myself when practicing unless I have something coming up, but that’s something I’m definitely going to implement this semester. I feel like having a recording of what I’m practicing will help me not only figure out what specifically I should be working on, but it’ll give me a more tangible way to track my progress and see how things have changed compared to voice lessons. I definitely also have a bad habit of watching my dem lab videos as soon as they come out and immediately critiquing my self rather than waiting, so this semester I’m going to allow performances to sit so that I don’t have the emotional feeling of performance tied to watching it and can better evaluate my performance.
    Nate Ginsberg

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog really helped understand the true value of self evaluation. Sometimes when doing self tapes, I will try to just do one take and then send that one in, but especially for a place like Dem-lab it is very important for us to start evaluating and making sure that we are perfecting the way we look and sound. And yes like you said we can bring ourselves down sometimes, but also like you said we are the ONLY ONES that can actually make the changes.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I generally struggle to watch performance videos of myself singing, and I find I need a lengthy amount of time away before I can watch it with a “relatively” objective eye. This year I’ve been working hard to become more forgiving of myself. And part of the process has become making it a goal to focus on the way I’m creating sounds and figuring out what feels comfortable and secure in how sound is produced instead of only judging my voice based on what my ear hears. I’ve also noticed that in the moments where the sound feels good, placement feels aligned, and all that other good stuff, I find more positives or things to like when I listen back on the work. Focusing on how the sound feels and the emotion and story that’s being told has helped me unlock my voice and grow. When my focus was purely on how it sounded, it was harder to grow. Approaching the evaluation of my singing with an attitude of curiosity is a perspective I really love and want to consistently implement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found that in my practice sessions, using voice memos and video recordings have been really helpful in trying to improve both my voice and other areas of performance (acting, dance, cello). Sometimes things sound worse in my head than they do when I listen/watch the feedback, and sometimes it's better, but it's great to be able to evaluate in the moment so I can remember what I did! I also agree with the idea of waiting a LONG time after performances, because that is when my inner critic can finally take an objective look at how I did. If I watch it too soon, all I can think about sometimes are the negative feelings I had as I performed the piece, and that can be a tough self-feeding machine of self-doubt and not lead to much growth (if any). I definitely want to shift my mindset into being more "curious" instead of consciously and subconsciously tearing myself down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I watch myself back on video pretty often, but I also tend to be a very harsh critic of myself. However, when I am thinking curiously, I do walk away with useful information. I think that in order to make this process more effective for myself, I need to remember to work on just one or two things at a time to avoid becoming overwhelmed with things I need to “fix” or focus on improving.

    Something that I would like to start implementing as a habit is allowing time for this while filming self-tapes. Typically, I allot only enough time to complete my recordings in one session. Whereas, if I were to set aside two different times for filming, I could use the time in between to evaluate my singing and figure out how to make improvements on a few things I can control in the moment.

    Throughout this semester, I hope to keep using vocal information to my advantage and practice being my own best evaluator!

    — Ashlen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Videos, videos, videos. They are so ubiquitous to us. In my thoughts about how to be a more objective observer, the idea of curiosity struck me. I want to find a way to be more curious when watching rather than destructive. I think a way to do that is practicing mindfulness. I can try to notice what happens, name it and identify it, and then allow it to move on, just like I try to allow my thoughts to move through my mind rather than getting stuck there. I think by doing that I can be more objective and detached, and less emotional about my self tapes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, one thing I could work on in regards to self-evaluation, especially as it pertains to recording and watching myself in practice, is eliminating the extremely short pipeline I hold between self-evaluation and self-deprecation. Now, in my life, this does not come from a mentality of "why can't I be better in performance," rather it comes from a point of understanding what is working well for others and not understanding why I seem to have difficulty applying the same principles. While it is extremely difficult for me, I feel the only way to overcome this is self-evaluate from recordings as often possible, such that I may become less sensitive to my challenges and view them from a more objective point of view. That being said, I do not feel ready to record myself during my practices but I feel a good place to start would be with my Dem Lab videos, which already exist and do not require the willpower on my part to record myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this post, mainly because it is an idea I put into practice daily. Anytime I sing, whether it be late night karaoke, a voice lesson, or a real performance, I ALWAYS record it. I find that looking back on my performance videos help me to get a literal visual of my progress; I can see what is working/what is not working through careful self-evaluation and constructive criticism. Not only do my self tapes help me see where I am in terms of progress and improvement, it also gives me "rehearsal tracks" in a way. Whenever I do my daily practice sessions, I like to follow along with warmups/technical training recorded from a lesson. This has been such a useful tool I have definitely taken advantage of!

    ReplyDelete