Saturday, February 4, 2023

All I ask of you

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." 

I think I was in junior high when I first heard the quote above—often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but actually of unknown origin. I remember thinking it was amusing, and in the same genre of insults as, "Never engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." 

Whenever I'm in a class, lecture, workshop, or webinar, I tend to be the kind of student who sits quietly and tries to take it all in, as opposed to the students who are quick to raise their hands with questions. I often prefer to listen, observe, and thoughtfully consider what is being presented before I feel ready to verbally engage. By taking this approach, I often find that my questions get answered as I continue paying attention to what is being presented. When I do ask a question, however, I am usually at least a little bit self-conscious about not wanting to be "thought a fool." 

A lot of people think this is a generational characteristic ("These kids today are so afraid to ask questions in class!"), but I disagree. I remember my high school geometry teacher (in the early 1990s) complaining that we students were always so scared to raise our hands in class. She would say, "What's the worst that can happen? I'm not going to bite your heads off!" But then, when someone was courageous enough to answer one of her questions, she would often bluntly shout, "Wrong!" "Sorry!" or "Nope!" She grew up in New York, so I don't think she ever really understood how her brash, East Coast delivery pierced our thin, Midwestern, adolescent skins. 

As protection, I suppose, my classmates and I would preface our questions with qualifiers: "This may be a dumb question, but..." "This question may not make any sense, but..." "I'm sorry if I missed something obvious, but..." "This is probably wrong, but..." Sound familiar? 

Acknowledging the epidemic of not wanting to ask questions so as not to be thought a fool (which has infected many of us), I heard in a teacher workshop recently that we should consider replacing the ubiquitous, "Do you have any questions?" with, "What questions do you have?" By asking, "Do you have any questions?" we seem to be assuming that most people understood the material, and those who didn't should out themselves by raising their hands. But by asking, "What questions do you have?" the default expectation is that most students will need to ask some questions in order to truly comprehend things. This approach also flips the class power dynamic on its head. Instead of a perception of, "I am the master teacher. Which one of you lowly students did not understand my brilliant lecture?" it admits, "I'm presenting this material in the best way that I can, but that doesn't mean it's going to click for everyone. Which parts can I try explaining in a different way?"

I know of at least one teacher who has started saying, "Before we go on, ask me two questions about what we just covered." Sometimes he is stubborn about it, saying, "Seriously, I need two questions, no matter how basic you think they are, before I can go any further." This gives freedom and permission to ask whatever questions students may have—and, odds are, if you have a question, someone else in the class probably has that same question. I prefer this approach to a teacher announcing, "There are no dumb questions!" which always makes me second-guess whether my question will be the one that will finally make the teacher say, "OK, that was a dumb question." 

No one wants to be thought a fool. But, to quote Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi, “Who’s the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?” In other words, as explained on the website The Dork Side of the Force, it’s easy to fall to peer pressure. There is always the risk that asking a question will cause you to look foolish, at least to someone. It may be even more foolish, however, to sit in confused silence when clarification is potentially one question away. 

Just ask. 

Now go practice. 



12 comments:

  1. I very much resonate with this blog post. As you mentioned, I am very much the type of student who soaks in information, observes, and allows other people to ask their questions. I think the fact that our sessions are individual takes the pressure off and allows for more freedom. That being said, I have been trying to implement writing down questions for you ahead of time as I know for myself, being put on the spot trying to remember a question is difficult. This post has inspired me to check in with myself at the end of each of my lessons and ask, "what questions do I have".

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this blog post. I feel like it is sometimes hard to also know when to ask a question. Should I ask it immediately or wait until someone is done explaining entirely. I am for sure a person that sits there with questions, too worried to to ask because I may be perceived as "dumb." I think one thing that can help is me is writing down or noting the questions that I have as something is being explained and wait until it is over entirely and then go back and see what questions have been answered and what questions still remain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog post is so relatable to me, as I am always one to just keep quiet and just learn, and when I find myself confronted with questions, I assume its because I was maybe not paying attention, but for whatever reason, am to anxious to ask my question in fear of being ostracized by classmates. However, I am trying to break that habit, and, like this blog post says, asking questions and clarifying what I am exactly learning will prove to be more beneficial. I know for In Pieces I was always encouraged to write down a list of questions I have, and a list of "what I know I do not know" that could be more beneficial in helping me learn more than I anticipated. That is one reason I love the Weekly Practice Reflections, because it gives me an opportunity to provide you with questions about my voice that I have been having, and how we can go about learning to answer them in my next lesson. For that I am grateful to be taking note of questions and concerns and for you encouraging me to bring them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely relate to being the kind of student who prefers to sit and observe. I find myself counting on others to ask questions, but that doesn’t always work and sometimes I’m left sitting in confusion if no one has asked my question(s). However, knowing that I enjoy being a listener and observer has pushed me to take initiative when I have a question. When it comes to voice lessons I’ve gotten better at asking for clarification if things don’t make sense but there’s still lots of room to grow. I think something that could help me ask questions in our lessons, is reminding myself that my questions are worthy of being asked and maybe that question could help lead me to an aha moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself having a hard time asking questions on subjects I am struggling with, especially when I am in a room full of my peers. Being vulnerable enough to show that I am confused is hard for me personally but not impossible. To personally, I think the bigger fool is the one who leads because often the follower is not a fool for the lack of questioning of the leader but is a great follower for not questioning his direct authority.
    -Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian! For the most part, I am similar to young you in the sense that I usually like to observe and listen until my question gets answered. The exception is typically dance, I usually ask some silly questions in dance since it’s something I’m very much working on. I really like the alternative question you proposed in this blog: “What questions do you have?”. I believe that even something as simple as that can lower the barrier often seen between teachers and students. I’ve also been guilty of the “this may be a dumb question…” but I’ve started to embrace it and just asking it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure I've ever had an issue with asking questions in this way, but I can certainly understand the hesitance, as this is something I exhibit when answering questions in class. Let me explain - in class, I only answer questions - even abstract ones - when I am 100% sure I know the answer that is expected of me. If there is even a hint of a doubt that I could be wrong, I will stay silent. Unfortunately, I think this mannerism stems from my deep need for perfection, though I am not sure I can pinpoint any one person or scenario that made me this way (although I'm fairly certain it was my own doing). I am aware that I have a deep-seated for everyone around me to know I'm smart, and I'm afraid that any wrong answer on my part, even expressed from a place of courage and willingness to be wrong, could be seen as a failure and a weakness. While I am learning that being wrong is not a failure and am well aware that mistakes are necessary for progress, I still find it difficult to answer questions courageously in a class setting, and I wonder if there is a possibility for change in this regard. Though I'd like to work on exercising my right to answer even when I'm incorrect, I worry that allowing myself to do so would be a waste of everyone else's time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian,

    Happy super bowl day. I have had many recent experiences highlighting similar issues. When asking questions to a particular teacher, I find myself being misunderstood, and instead of asking a clarifying question, that teacher tends to pretend that the question made sense and move on. That makes me feel dumb for daring to ask a question in the first place. But this blog reminds me that having questions (even oddly phrased, overly complex ones that require too much background) is the expected outcome of learning.

    I wonder why we are so hesitant to ask questions. I feel that it is similar to why it is so difficult to ask for help. The culture that we live in prioritizes individuality over almost everything else, and asking for help, whether it is help moving apartments or help understanding how to sing more "balancedly" is an inherently collectivist act. In that sense, it is a revolutionary act to ask a question. It admits your own frailty in the face of the universe's vast chaos, and reminds us all that we need others to make it through a life that doesn't come with an instruction manual.

    JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also tend to sit and soak in information before deciding if I need to ask a question or not. For most situations, especially within classroom settings, this tends to work out just fine for me as I am able to answer anything I may be wondering about by observing. However, there are some environments that this doesn’t work so well in. I have noticed consequences in rehearsal processes when the director/whoever is in charge does not open up the room for questions. I really like the idea of leading with “What questions do you have?” because a group can only benefit from being on the same page. Particularly when working on a show, and a world is being created, everyone involved should feel safe to be curious and clarify information. This is something I want to take with me as both an asker of questions as well as someone who might have the responsibility to enforce a safe question-asking space for others one day too.

    — Ashlen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely relate to you, and it seems most of my peers, in being the kind of student who likes to sit and let it soak in rather than ask questions. I find it odd as a performer that I am so scared to speak in an intellectual setting or in front of my peers. One of my gen ed’s is a discussion based class and I am always terrified to speak up, and feel more stage fright when I’m called on than when I’m actually about to go on stage, which is really strange to me. I've always kind of attributed it to being myself rather than a character, though it could be something totally different. I also really liked what you said about the power dynamic being switched if you ask “What question’s do you have?” Because I feel that often it does feel like it’s assumed that there shouldn’t be questions if you ask it any other way. I’m going to try to pay attention to how my other professors ask that question to see if it changes how I feel in the classroom and how comfortable I am in that situation.

    --Nate Ginsberg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I relate to this so so much. I’ve never been someone that raises their hand and asks questions or makes commentary. I’ve found that I always learn better by just listening and as you said, usually any questions I have are answered by the end. It helps being observant because I’m able to pick up a lot of things without having to insert myself into the conversation and I really believe that so much can be learned by just observing. A lot of it probably has to do with my anxiety and I’m sure that when you feel totally safe and comfortable in class, it must not seem like a big deal to raise your hand. I guess I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. I always find myself hesitating before asking a question; probably because I am a relentless perfectionist. I feel like I have very high standards for myself and I just want everything to be right at all times. The thought of asking a question and being looked at as "dumb" or "inadequate" for not knowing the answer stresses me out. However, after reading this I have realized that asking questions is most definitely NOT "dumb," nor does it make me "inadequate." Asking questions is how we learn; if we aren't learning, how are we supposed to grow?

    ReplyDelete