Sunday, March 27, 2022

Performing vs. Assessing

Two blogs ago, we discussed the differences between practicing and performing. In short, practicing involves stretching yourself, trying new things, and making exploratory sounds, whereas performing (and the practices leading up to a performance) involves settling into your choices and doing the best you can with your current skill set. 

Then, in the last blog, we discussed how non-judgmental assessment (through awareness and inherent feedback) can help us silence our inner critics.

Now let's talk about the differences between performing and assessing. To start, let's go back to the dictionary. 

Oxford Languages defines performing as carrying out, accomplishing, or fulfilling an action, task, or function. It also, and more obviously to our purposes, defines performing as "presenting to an audience." I actually prefer the first definition, though. When we perform, we are essentially looking to fulfill or carry out what we have already accomplished during our practicing and rehearsing—we're not trying to accomplish something new. As I have said before, we shouldn't expect magic to happen when we perform. We should expect an "average performance" where we deliver a presentation that is as close to what we normally do as possible. 

Assessing, on the other hand, involves evaluating the quality and effectiveness of our singing. This is a crucial part of practice, since it informs us as to which aspects of our singing we need to focus on building and improving. 

Performing and assessing, therefore, are different tasks. Too often, in my estimation, instead of doing one (performing) and then the other (assessing), we try to do them both at the same time. The trouble is that human beings are notoriously bad at multitasking (even though we think we're great at it). As the Cleveland Clinic points out, when we multitask we become less efficient and more prone to making mistakes. In essence, instead of doing one thing well, we do more than one thing poorly. 

There is an appropriate analogy here. As explained in The Musician's Mind by Lynn Helding, the body's sympathetic nervous system is responsible for ramping us up when we are in the presence of danger or, unfortunately, when we are experiencing musical performance anxiety (MPA). Thankfully, we also have the parasympathetic nervous system to calm us down and restore us to a resting state. It's fascinating to note, however, that these two systems can't function at the same time. In order to calm down, we first have to turn off the system that is revving us up before we can turn on the system that will start settling us down. Helding uses the analogy of taking your foot off the gas pedal before you start to press on the brake. 

In a similar way, we can't really perform and assess our performing at the same time. That's multitasking, or the equivalent of pressing the gas and the brake together. So if you're performing and you catch yourself assessing or judging the sound you just made, you're no longer performing. You have switched into assessment mode. And chances are, if you noticed that shift, so did your audience. 

Of course, you have to practice the way you intend to perform. Therefore, you need to practice performing without assessing. Odds are, when you finish your performance, you will still be able to think back and give an honest analysis of what just happened. It takes practice to really commit to monotasking and keeping your focus entirely on your performing while you are in the moment. There will be time for assessment later, I promise. 

As we get closer to the end-of-the-semester juries, consider practicing monotasking. Just perform. Then assess. Then repeat. 

Now go practice.



11 comments:

  1. Look at me Brian. Killing it with the blogs this semester. I think I've gotten good at the monotasking by focusing on the acting of my performance and letting the singing come in as I've practiced it. I'll focus on assessing my performance afterwards if I have a video but if I don't then unfortunately I'm only able to assess based off how my acting felt. When I sang for Cynthia a couple weeks ago I didn't do any "multitasking" during my performance and I felt like that might have been my best dem lab performance ever. But I had an audition last Sunday where I think my voice was a little tired and I started unintentionally assessing myself in the audition and got distracted by the light that they were shining in my eyes. So it wasn't a bad audition but I fell into some of the traps that you mentioned in your blog.
    -Myles Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment you acknowledge a mistake with any kind of facial expression or noise, you have taken your audience and yourself further out than the initial mistake did. That was a habit I had to break; the audience already knows and does not need you to linger on the mistake. They'd rather you move on. Also, I have learned that just about any sound you make can be justified. If you crack or flub-your character was excited! Or they were heart broken! or anything that suits the story. A mistake of some kind is destined to show up in almost any performance. You can either incorporate it or move on from it and pretend it never happened- but you can't let it linger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog really resonated with me. I am 100% guilty of trying to assess my performance as I am performing. I definitely overthink most things in a more general sense (shocking, right?), so it isn’t surprising that in moments of pressure, like in performance, I am also hyper-aware and thinking about how the performance is going as I’m performing. This leads me into a spiral of negative self-assessment and distraction that is entirely unhelpful to me while I am performing. Rather than being able to let go of nerves and focus in on the character and the story I am trying to tell, I am bogged down by how I believe the performance is going. I liked the analogy of assessing and performing being like a break and a gas pedal. By trying to do both, neither can do their job and it is just left with a halting “eh”. This is part of the reason that video feedback can be helpful, as I know I can have a perfect play-by-play of what happened to look over after the fact, so I don’t have to try and assess while performing. Once again it’s just a game of not over-assessing and driving myself into despair with small mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian is out her calling me out. I fully catch myself assessing, I think because I started to see progress and learn tips and tricks, I have started to asses myself more. I often catch myself doing that in callbacks and try to combat that my just continuing to act but I notice how my voice doesn't perform like it has. I think I even over do this in lessons, which is fine to an extent. But I feel like I just need to build the confidence and have confidence in my skills and what I can do, especially after practicing over and over and the over assessing with go away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with this blog; I do in fact catch myself performing and assessing at the same time, which is not a great thing. I think it's important to perform and then assess, because if you try to assess while performing, you are getting pulled out of the performance. Staying in the moment of a song and character is so important to the story and we cannot judge ourselves in those moments, because then we retract from the story. Plus we should just be having fun while performing. Assessing is also very important, but like the blog says, there is a time and place for it, and it is not while performing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the biggest takeaways I’ve gotten from this year is that I don’t need to treat a performance as an end goal, but rather a showcase of what I have been working on up until that point. I still need to put in the work and get to a place where that “showcase” is justified, but that isn’t the end, the work keeps going after that. When I am in performance situations, I still find myself assessing as I perform, but I have noticed that I am in the moment of the performance more often now than I was before. It is hard to shut off the critical part of my brain, but the more prepared I am for a performance the less critical I am of it. I also find that if I know I will have a video of a performance it’s so much easier to tune into what I’m doing and to not worry about the assessment until later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was something that I've noticed the other in rehearsal, at the end of Sweeney Todd, Toby has a moment where goes and uses the grinder. During that moment in rehearsal, I became quickly aware of my current state and the way that I was acting. I was taken out of the moment and became James and I felt as thought that impacted my interpretation in some way. I find myself assessing in my performances often. Thoughts like, "here comes the high note," or "I messed that up!" I want to work on being in the moment more. I have had moments where I felt as though I was in the moment, but those are usually rare. Acting class has helped me a bit into getting more in the moment, by truly believing what I'm saying, I can tell a story more vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely see myself assessing my performances constantly, whether it’s to do with music or any other performance I can’t help but always think ways I can’t get past this. I find that the more comfortable I am with a space I am able to just let myself perform and not stress about what I’m doing wrong but rather just stay in the moment.

    -Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve definitely been guilty of doing this pretty much every time I’ve performed in dem lab so far unfortunately. This is a habit I need to break but it’s definitely so hard not to assess while you’re performing. It doesn’t help I’m super hard on myself and maybe what I hear isn’t necessarily what the audience hears. I feel like my anxiety just enhances whatever mistakes I made and suddenly I’m thinking I’ve done horribly even while I’m up there. I’d like to think I’ve gotten better at not doing this as the semester has gone on but it’s still something I need to work on for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has reminded me that it is important to find the happy medium of making sure I do each task. It is always important to make sure that I perform and then look at that to make sure my mannerisms or ticks are put to the side.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a truly important thing for me. I really have trouble practicing and not assessing at the same time. I think I should work on this by recording myself, allowing myself to judge myself more objectively.

    xoxo, JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete