Sunday, March 13, 2022

Using assessment, awareness, and inherent feedback to silence the judges

As a voice professor, W. Stephen Smith hopes every lesson he teaches brings himself one step closer to being obsolete. As he says, "My goal is to teach my students how to teach themselves and work myself out of a job." (as quoted in The Singer's Audition & Career Handbook by Claudia Friedlander, p.44)

Encouraging students to develop their own self-diagnostic skills is a big part of motor-learning theory. As singers' abilities increase and become more consistent, they are less reliant on instructions ("augmented feedback") from their teachers. Instead, they can first consult the internal sensory information they get when they sing ("inherent feedback"). In the Journal of Singing, U of U professor Lynn Maxfield describes the two primary types of inherent feedback: proprioceptive and exteroceptive.
"Proprioceptive feedback is that sensory information received from sources within the learner’s own body (primary sources being sensory receptors imbedded within the body tissues), while exteroceptive feedback refers to sensory information received from sources outside the body, the primary sources of which are vision and hearing."
Of course, as we discussed last semester, students can only benefit from their own inherent feedback if they are actually paying attention to what is happening while they are singing and not just switching into auto-pilot. 

Once singers do get that inherent feedback, the next thing to do is assess, which involves evaluating the quality of the singing. In The Inner Game of Music, authors Barry Green and W. Timothy Gallwey describe a similar process, encouraging musicians to use awareness. As they write, 
"Awareness shows us what feels and works best for us...it can even locate specific problem areas, discover solutions, increase our options, and facilitate instant changes. Not only can awareness help us through technical musical challenges of many kinds, it can also enhance our ability to be swept up in the music, to become one with it." (p.37-38). 

Therefore, honest assessment based on awareness and inherent feedback can both identify problems and reveal potential solutions. An obstacle may arise, however, if that assessment is tinged with judgment

In its official definition, there is nothing inherently negative about judgment. According to Oxford Languages, "to judge" is simply to "form an opinion or conclusion about." But, as all singers have likely experienced, there is a more sinister side to self-judgment. As described by author Eloise Ristad in A Soprano on Her Head, "We all have inner judges who yammer at the edge of our consciousness, often intimidating and immobilizing us." 

If we negatively or harshly judge our own singing, we move beyond mere assessment and may enter the realm of self-consciousness. Of course, being "conscious of self" is really what inherent feedback is all about, which is the heart of Green and Gallwey's idea of awareness. But a second definition of self-consciousness is to feel "uncomfortably nervous about or embarrassed by what other people think about you." The irony of this form of self-consciousness is that we're not really focused on "self" at all. Instead, we're focusing on what other people may (or may not) be thinking about us. This can take up a lot of head space and cause quite a distraction while we're singing. 

Luckily, Green and Gallwey offer a strategy: "By accepting distractions and then consciously choosing to focus our attention elsewhere, we can increase our awareness of the music—and lessen the amount of frustration we feel at the distractions." (p.38)

In the article on the stages of motor learning cited above, one indication that skills have moved into the third and final "automatic stage" is that the skill can be executed in different settings, in different situations, and even among distractions. And what could be more distracting than our own self-consciousness? To treat judgments and self-consciousness as distractions, however, may allow us to strategize around them. Once again, Green and Gallwey offer help: 

"...we need to leave our assumptions and ready-made judgments on one side and pay attention to what is actually going on. We can choose to put our attention where we want instead of leaving it on the distractions." (p.38)

In other words, giving more focus to inherent feedback and awareness may crowd out the distractions of "judges who yammer at the edge of our consciousness," thus allowing us to "enhance our ability to be swept up in the music, to become one with it." 

Despite the best efforts of teachers like W. Stephen Smith, we may always benefit from the augmented feedback that trusted teachers provide. But honing our awareness and trusting our own inherent feedback may help us build technique and silence the judges. 

Now go practice. 




10 comments:

  1. Learning more about the voice via augmented feedback and proprioceptive have allowed me to take the "judgement" out of criticism. It used to be that when I failed, it was simple as "I suck." Now that I am a more experienced singer and person, I can recognize certain vocal missteps as something to adjusted rather than a personal failure. This is a nice concept to apply to the work of others, too. I can constructively criticize myself and other's work without it being a criticism on our talent or our beings. I now know from an internal feeling or the external sound what should be adjusted. Thanks Brian! I still don't think you're obsolete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have been one to focus more on what other people think of me than just focusing on myself. I've recently gotten out of this because whenever I'm singing and I listen to a recording I sound completely different than what I thought I sounded like. This method of thinking has improved my performances because now I'm focusing more on my technique and training rather than letting fear and impulses control my voice.
    -Myles Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is some truth to voice coaches becoming “obsolete.” I think for me there are things that I know recognize on my own and can fix and know what to do. But personally, and you know this, I always have questions and I don't think I will ever not have them. So don't think I don't need you! But I think there is still growth with me as a singer and finding what I can fix. I still often times get defeated in the moment or over think how everything feels and sounds. But self awareness is step 1!

    - Langley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog really struck home with me! I often find that I lack accurate self-assessment with my singing. Usually when I am just practicing be myself, I can accurately see where my voice is at, where the song is at, and what I need to do to be better next time. However, when there is a lot of external pressure (auditions, performances, etc) it becomes very difficult to accurately assess myself and I rely too much on outside feedback on how it went. Partially this is a thing with nerves and being unable to focus, but this blog also mentioned our own judgement making voice being a major distraction, which really resonated. By recognizing this voice, hopefully I will be able to quiet it and instead use that mental energy towards bettering my performance!

    -Caleb Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a problem I have with self assessment is I can get lost in my own self assessment. Whether it be in a way where I think I can not get anything right or the oppositions I doing think I can do anything wrong, it really won’t get me anywhere. I hope to get to a point where I can trust my brain but until then I will have to have people like you around Brian!
    -Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a topic that I've always thought about when I leave college. I think about how I'm not always going to have someone who is going to tell me how to improve my technique or how to create sounds that will help me whenever I need to hit a high note. I have had moments where I have gone auto-pilot when practicing to just drill the song, but I have also had moments where I have found what works best for me! I worked on Morning Glow this semester in attempt to improve my chest mix instead of a nasal mix, and I played around with creating more space within the back of my mouth to create a more resonant sound. I think as singers, we are able to tell when something is wrong with our voice. For the past two weeks I have noticed that when singing, I started mixing more than usual and felt pressure when singing. I got scoped and was told that I have a little swelling and I have been taking it easier this past week, while also checking in with my voice and doing some light SOVT warming up every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this blog post. I have noticed in my own practice that I can usually give myself relatively accurate feedback and apply it to my work, but once I go into “performance mode” I loose that skill and when asked how something went or how something felt, I usually say “I think it went well!” Performance mode is something that I’ve been trying to avoid recently, and I’ve been trying my best to listen to what you’ve been saying about having a performance being an accurate representation of what I’ve been practicing. I think that the self assessment of our performances would be improved if performances didn’t always feel high pressure, granted it’s not always bad to have them feel high pressure especially to help with motivation towards improving. Also having a trusted person on the outside to help is always a good thing in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a lot of singers, myself included enjoy having lessons because i value the opinon of a professional more than my own. Which i feel like is valid, i mean you are the one with the Doctorate soooo i think thats a reliable source lol. However, i have noticed ive been able to notice things not only about myself but also about others in their singing. Not in a “sinister” judgemental way, but more as an unconscious observation that has grown into a habit since being around that education environment for so long. Kind of how actors watch a movie and think “oooh i could do that” or “hmm interesting choice.”

    It should be something to strive to to eventually be able to train and improve on my own, ideally retaining all the tools and knowledge i get in our lessons, buut realisticly that means i need to show up to lessons more than half the time this semester 💀

    Josh w

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at this Blog I see that with my stress, I often ask of other criticisms of my singing. I also try to include my critiques without being harsh. It is often hard to give credit to certain places in the voice and still build the other parts equally. One of my biggest things that I love is reassurance. Sadly, I almost always look to others to make sure that what I did was good when I need to look to myself as well
    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have trouble giving myself honest inherent feedback, and I think I really need to improve my ability to give inherent feedback in a problem solving manner. Often I can evaluate the effectiveness of my singing, but I'm struggling to solve the problems that I find. I want to work on that.
    JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete