Sunday, January 23, 2022

Predictable Repeatability: Average Performances

We practice to improve our skills. We practice to learn. We practice to develop consistency. 

We practice to give average performances. 

Wait, what? 

Sure, we practice so that our skills are above average (or, hopefully, outstanding). And we practice so that our performances are above average (or, hopefully, outstanding). So why would I say that we practice to give average performances? Allow me to explain. 

As author Lynn Helding says, "The evidence that a thing is learned is its repeatability" (p.76). As we have discussed in previous blogs, just because you do a thing once doesn't mean that thing is now part of your skill set. It isn't technically "learned" until you can do it often, with consistency, under different circumstances, and in different settings—in short, when the skill is repeatable. 

Therefore, we should practice to make our skills repeatable and our performances predictable. When we get to that point, we won't have to walk into an audition room thinking, "I hope this goes well." We will have practiced enough that we basically know how it will go.  

I think there is always a secret wish that something magic will happen once we get on stage. We hope that everything will somehow click in ways they never have before. That high note will rock like it never has, we'll make it through long phrases without needing to breathe, we'll suddenly be dramatically connected to the character in a way we've never experienced. 

OK, maybe that will happen. But probably not, especially if it's never worked for you that way in the practice room. 

If you do have a "magical" moment where something clicks in a way that is new (whether that's in a practice session, in a masterclass, or even in a performance), that can be the first step toward learning a new skill. You obviously have to experience something for a first time before you can build on that. But, as Helding reminds us, "Exposure is not learning...While exposure may be the necessary first step in the learning process it must be followed by practice in order to encode it in memory and make it habitual" (p.42-43)

Therefore, once you have been exposed to something new, or experienced something new, it's crucial that you keep working on it: immediately after you first experience it and then often after that. If you wait too long to try to repeat it, you may not be able to access it again or it may not be there in exactly the same way. 

Then, when that skill has been practiced to the point of being predictably repeatable, you can head into a performance knowing that your result will probably be the average of what happens when you're in the practice room. It may go better than expected once in a while and, sadly, sometimes it's worse than expected. But most of the time, it will be an average of what you normally do on a day-to-day basis. 

So, maybe we shouldn't ask ourselves after a performance or an audition, "Did I give my absolute best performance?" Maybe instead we should ask, "Was that an honest reflection of what I do most days?" If not, too bad. Keep practicing and you'll have a better chance that it WILL reflect your average next time. If it WAS an honest reflection of what you can do on the daily, then I would call that a successful performance. You have done what you know you can do, shown who you are, and hopefully had fun in the process.

Related: Here's a fun video exploring the "law of averages" that can apply to a lot of what we just discussed as well as other aspects of musical theatre training (especially AUDITIONS!). 

How has your practicing been in these first couple of weeks? How are you doing on your goals? Do you need to make any adjustments now that we're on week three? 

Now go practice. 



14 comments:

  1. My version of this usually goes something like this: I practice "magically", with correct breathing, connection to character, stylistic choices, and a fully integrated cut. When I perform I lose (lets quantify it lol) maybe 17% off the top-In the excitement, I forget a breath or some moment work or I flub a note. It used to severely bother me, that I could perform exactly how I practiced, especially when I was younger and had terrible performance anxiety. Now, I recognize that 83% out of 100% is a GREAT place to be ESPEACIALLY in an audition setting. Having done a solid 20% in past years, I will take the dramatic increase in success. Allowing myself a margin for error that I fully anticipate has allowed me far more freedom as an artist. I find that when I am over-prepared, my performance will turn out nicely with a sprinkle of mistakes. When I am ill prepared, it is pretty much a guarantee it will turn out terribly. I can only have one uncertainty factor- audience or insecurity in the material, but not both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting way of thinking about our performances as artists: to practice consistently to consistently get outstanding performances, thereby making the outstanding performance the average! WOW! I think it's also very important to recognize that being prepared and thorough will take a lot of stress off of our shoulders, because we've already done the work; all we have to do is do it again, so it shouldn't be that hard! Need to start shifting to this mindset!

    Practicing has been pretty good so far; I feel like I am consciously working towards my goals (except I may need to add a new one, which includes preparation and being thorough so my average is actually pretty good).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved looking at it that way. In class last semester one of my classmates brought up that her vocal teacher says "All that matters is that you get an 80% for a performance or audition." And that also made me think. Because all you can do or expect is the best you have done and the best you have felt about it. I am one who always comes out of a performance or audition wondering why that didn't feel the best it has ever been, and I know I need to stop expecting that of myself. I think I need to take a look at my mindset and change it to be healthier and more fulfilling.

    Practicing has gone good. I am just trying to keep a consistent schedule so that I can see the changes I want. I think my goals are coming along good, and I love getting new exercises to help me achieve my goals, it helps me not feel so "stuck."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog really helped me adjust my mindset when going into auditions and performances. I am often let down that I didn’t “magically” connect to the character in the moment of auditions/performances when the nerves are there. I feel that sometimes the excitement and adrenaline can fuel a larger performance for me, but it certainly doesn’t make it more technically correct or emotionally connected. Also echoing off of what Langley had mentioned about getting an 80% on the performance, that also resonated with me and helped to take some pressure of of performing. If all the work and support is under the performance, then that “average” performance will still be incredible and something I can feel proud of. Consistency and repeatability are something that I am certainly working on, as my good-to-bad-day range feels too large.

    Practicing has been pretty good these last few weeks! With how frequently we are singing in class, I’ve gotten into better habits of warming up every morning and check in vocally on a regular basis. I’ve found that by already warming up at the start of the day, it feels easier to jump into more practice later in the day as I’ve already taken that first step. Hoping that I can really get into a rhythm and work on my craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is a lot of information that seems so basic but I really need drilled into my head. My practicing over this past week has been very low due to my lungs being at what I assume is 30% of their normal ability. While I have had that “Magic” moment before its not something I rely on, but always secretly wish it will come every time I perform. I need to be more consistent, I feel so often I practice to a point where something does get consistent and then I decide it is always going to be that way and then focus on another song. I NEED TO KEEP CONSISTENT PRACTICE IF I WANT MY PERFORMANCE TO BE CONSISTENT. Anyways, I hope I can get my breath support back to where it was fast because I am impatient. Here is to getting back into god vocal habits.
    - Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian! I thought that this blog was honest and eye-opening! In order to perfect a skill, it must be done consistently under any circumstances so that you’re prepared whenever life throws something at you. One of the most “magical” moments for me was around winter break of 2020 going into 2021. I was practicing Finishing the Hat in my bedroom in South Carolina when it suddenly occurred to me that I can hit the notes with ease. I hadn’t been able to mix prior to my time here and when I became able to, I realized how many opportunities had opened to me and how thankful I am for the education that led me to this discovery! I totally understand the feeling of having a breakthrough in a masterclass and not being able to produce the same sound in practice, so I’ll make sure to immediately get practicing as soon as I finish!

    Practicing hasn’t been the most productive lately as I’ve been dealing with congestion, so I’ve been mainly working on notes for Pirelli’s Miracle Elixir and studying my music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I oddly enough feel like the main places where I experience the most growth or discovery is when I'm performing for someone. This last vocal jury, I felt like my brain opened up and I could focus on the character, but it has definitely gone the complete opposite direction many times, but those mistakes are less likely to happen the next time because I usually make a big deal out of it in my own psych so that I remember it for next time.
    The first two weeks of the semester were really taken up my Japanese class that I was taking, because we were moving through subjects so quickly. This last week has gone quite well though, I went back through my book and double checked some things that I hadn't sung in a while. like "love I hear", which I was able to perform in dem lab, "Empty Chairs", "Whad'ya do", "Cool" and other things. This semester of Dem Lab has been a lot of help so far with just repeating everything that I need in my book and exposing the weaknesses in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like these first two weeks of the semester have been a lot better for me than the previous semester. I’ve found it easier to get in practicing and the motivation to get into the practice room has been there. I’ve been a lot more excited to keep working to raise my average performance to be the best that I can be, and this blog was an important reminder that the work in the practice room is there to help me have stronger and easier performances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These first two weeks of the semester have been an adjustment for sure, I am still getting used to driving to school every day and not really having the same responsibilities as I did last semester. But I can tell you over break I did have what you would say a “magical” moment, I kind of realized when I was back home in Kansas City that certain songs on their own seem to have gotten easier at the parts I thought were hard earlier in the year. I just remember pedagogy with Dave, how he talked about the male voice changing multiple times And maturing throughout your 20s and 30s. It’s kind of exciting to all of a sudden realize certain notes or vowels are in as hard as they used to be and you can add that to your arsenal. Whether that is a factor or getting out of Salt Lake‘s horrible air quality was the real cause lol, I guess time will tell.


    Josh Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great blog Brian! I definitely can relate to this and the feeling of wanting performances to be amazing and mind blowing but the reality is that rarely happens. I find that the nerves really affect things I thought I knew really well and sometimes I forget to breathe in places I had always practiced or sing things in a way I never did before. While it’s not bad, it is stuff that sticks with me and can be frustrating since I know I’ve done it all correctly while practicing with you or on my own. I think I need to really get these ideas in my head because wanting everything to go perfectly every time is just not helping anyone and giving me unrealistic expectations every time. I need to start finding new ways of approaching these performances for sure.

    Practice has gone well these past few weeks. I think I’m getting a lot of good stuff we discussed done or at least the beginnings of some of them. I’m feeling optimistic about this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The idea of practicing in a repeatable way is something I can really work on. I don't feel like I'm very good at practicing performing. I really need to get better at making practice sessions that are dedicated to preparing for performing performance ready. Instead, I have a tendency to flip out or crash and burn in performance. I don't want to do that any more.

    JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Brian, for this great advice. It is nice to make sure that I take what I've learned and apply and practice immediately. There have been times in the past where I didn't practice immediately. I will make sure to double down and do the work.

    Thank you,
    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the idea of "practicing to be average". Like my insecurities or any disappointment I feel about my skills as a singer are almost always about feeling as if I am not as good as !I! can be, or wish I could be. Not to say that I've never felt bad about my skills as a singer because I didn't think I was as good as someone else, but I'm proud to say that I have grown out of that way of thinking. Anyway, as I was saying. The times I feel most accomplished as a technical performer are when I am able to replicate something consistently. Being able to do the same "trick", for lack of a better word, is a really good indication for myself to feel confident in the technical skills I have sharpened because I now know that I am capable of doing something over and over again without worrying "what if I can't hit that note or hold that phrase?"

    My practice sessions have been fine for just getting over covid lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. In my practicing over these last few weeks I've sort of realized this topic. At my last audition for pioneer I felt the best I ever had in an audition but I think it was just because I'm at the highest level of performance that I've been at before and not because it was a particularly fantastic audition. It's infuriating that you can feel so good when you're singing at your best but then you get into the practice room and you'll rarely reach those peaks when you need to but that's another reason to practice more, so your average gets better and better.
    -Myles Davis

    ReplyDelete