Saturday, April 8, 2023

Defining Success—Play Ball!

In 2003, my wife, Erika, and I took a road trip from our home in Indiana two and a half hours north to Lansing, Michigan for a baseball game. Although we had spent a lot of summer days together in ballparks, this trip was a little different. 

The Chicago Cubs, the team that has brought me joy and heartache (mostly heartache) for my entire life, had just drafted a hot prospect whom many felt would become the next superstar that would light up Major League Baseball. His name was Félix Pie (pronounced like the Spanish word for "foot" and not like the delicious dessert). He was an eighteen-year-old outfielder born to Haitian immigrants in the Dominican Republic. As one of the first stops on his professional baseball journey, he had been assigned to play for one of the Cubs minor league teams, the Lansing Lugnuts. This trip was our first chance to see Pie in action. 


We got to the stadium early so we could watch the team take batting practice. This pre-game time in the stadium offers a great chance to catch foul balls (which I did!), since it's less crowded and there are fewer small children to run over when chasing down these souvenirs (which, for some reason, is frowned upon). 


After batting practice, I noticed a crowd of fans gathering over by the Lugnuts' dugout, most of whom were wearing Cubs gear. Clearly, we were not the only ones who had driven some miles to see this kid play. Before long, Pie walked up to the crowd and started signing autographs. I looked at Erika and she rolled her eyes a bit and gave me a "shoo" gesture with her hand, as if to say, "Go ahead." 


I used to collect autographs from ballplayers as a kid when my family would go to minor league games, but it wasn't a hobby I had kept up with. This time, however, I was presented with a golden opportunity to have an interaction with the next Cubs superhero. So, why not? Plus, there were other adults in the autograph line so I didn't feel too awkward. 


Pie was quiet but polite as he signed his name for fans on scorecards, caps, and on my foul ball. When I got back to our seats, Erika smiled and said, "Well, when's the last time you waited in line to get an autograph from a teenager?" 


Long story short—and this is an unsurprising twist if you know anything about the Cubs—Pie did not live up to the hype. He gradually worked his way through the minors and made it to the big league club in 2007, but after struggling through an injury and lackluster performance on the field, he never become a mainstay in the starting lineup. A year and a half after his Cubs debut, he was traded to the Baltimore Orioles. 


The Cubs have a long history of making a big splash with highly-ranked draft picks destined to be the savior that would lead us to World Series titles, most of whom have ended up with short, unremarkable careers in the majors. Ask any Cub fan who is around my age or older about Ty Griffin, Cory Patterson, and Earl Cunningham and they'll recognize the pattern: The fan base gets excited, the player underproduces, the fans get let down, some other player gets drafted, and the fans (with short memories) get excited all over again, expecting this new phenom to be the one who will lead us to glory. It's one of the most endearing and infuriating things about Cubs fans. 


I hadn't thought about Félix Pie all that much since then until a few years ago when I decided to do a Google search and see what became of him. After a couple of seasons in Baltimore, he spent the next few years bouncing between the major and minor leagues on teams with the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, and Pittsburgh Pirates. He then went on to play several seasons internationally with the Korean Baseball Organization, the Chinese Professional Baseball League, and the Mexican Baseball League. He's currently back in the United States playing on a team in Kentucky as part of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. 


According to the Princeton Review, the average career length for a major league baseball player is 2.7 years. At present, Félix Pie is 38 years old and has spent the last 20 years playing professional baseball, which has taken him across the country and across the world. For every kid who grew up playing Little League and dreaming of major league stardom, we'd have been ecstatic if someone with a crystal ball had told us, "You'll never be a major league superstar, but you'll end up with a 20-year career getting paid to play the game you love." By nearly every measure, Pie has had a successful life in baseball. The only reason anyone would consider him a failure is because a handful of scouts saw him as a teenager and thought they could determine how his life would play out. It seems someone failed in this scenario, but I don't think it was Pie. 


I still have that autographed baseball. In fact, it lives in my studio, so most of you have probably seen it. Instead of keeping it as a memento of someone who took the sports world by storm, I keep it as a reminder of how someone can find success in their field even when that success doesn’t look like they thought it would when they were starting out. 


Seniors, most of you came to the U when you were the same age as that young outfielder I drove two and a half hours to see play. Some of you may have come in thinking you would set the musical theatre world on fire, while others may have just been glad to be accepted and given a chance. You probably also had a specific idea of what success after graduation would look like. Maybe that idea has changed over the last four years, or maybe you still have the same goals. Regardless, I hope you have learned that there is no one way to measure success. Sometimes not ending up where you thought (or hoped) you would be turns out to be the best thing that can happen. 


At this time of year, I feel a bit like I imagine Pie's minor league coaches felt as he progressed through the ranks. I've watched you build your abilities, develop your character, and learn tenacity, all of which are valuable attributes. Even so, there's no way I can predict what success will mean for each of you. 


Cubs fans are known for being "die-hard." We display ridiculous amounts of loyalty and are eternally optimistic about our team (another endearing and infuriating aspect of this fan base). As my role in your lives shifts from coach to fan, know that I will be enthusiastically cheering you on, remaining faithful through the slumps, and celebrating all of your victories along the way. 


Sko Utes. Batter up. 


Much love.

-brian




11 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!! Almost to the finish line (or... home plate?)! If there's anything I've learned since beginning my journey toward the college experience as a high schooler, it is that plans change, but such shifts can lead to truly amazing opportunities you could never have seen coming. For example, if you had told me when I was a freshman in high school that I'd be pursuing a career in dance, not therapy, I would've squealed with excitement, because I didn't even know this was a possibility. Then, if you had told me a year later that this career would involve me singing, I would've been shocked beyond compare and probably told you you were crazy. If you had told me when I was rejected from the U's MTP that a few months later I would be asked to join without even a second audition, I would've been elated. And, most of all, if you had told me as a freshman in college that only a few years later people would be seeking me out for submissions in the ensembles of Hamilton or cruise casts while I was actively rehearsing to perform my favorite show of all time, I think I would've just died from excitement. Therefore, each and every year I learn that, while it is painful to "roll with the punches," that life throws, there is always something down the line that will amaze current me beyond belief, and THAT, I would say, is something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, if I had any tears left (lol) I would be sobbing. I for sure have had my idea of success changed, and have really learned that there is no one way to measure success. Through these last four years I have grown and changed so much. Like Zyena said in her post, if you would've told me that I somehow achieved all my goals while being here at the U, I probably would've said thank god because if I didn't achieve those goals it would've been the end of the world. I came here wanting to prove to myself and my family that this is what I need to be doing. I wanted to be in a show here at the U, that happened and I got to understudy two roles, be apart of the senior show and Matilda! I was determined to get the internship at pioneer and separately, get EMC points, which I did. I REALLY wanted to find my damn mix belt, and I DID. And even though all these things DID NOT happen in the order or the way that I intended them, they all happened. I mean I got an F-ing audition for Hamilton?! And they reached out to me?! These last four years have really proven to me that anything is possible and damnit, manifestation really do be working!

    Also, Brian, thank you so so much. I haven't ever had a vocal teacher who is 1. a genius 2. understands me and the way I learn the way that you do 3. is really just the best! I am forever in debt to you and grateful, because I wouldn't be the singer I am today without you! And its crazy to think that this all started with our zoom lessons! But seriously, thank you for everything!
    I am so eternally grateful for you and all that you have taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brian, thank you for this last blog. I think you are so great, and I've been so grateful for your guidance this year and all of the years of my time here. You've seen me through some difficult things, and some good times too. Thank you for remaining a cheerleader even when I can't cheer myself on. Thanks for thinking the way I do about a lot of things, and thanks for redefining success, and for redefining practice. You really are a cubs fan, down to your teaching style.

    Thanks,
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, thank you for all your kind words and support and critiques and guidance. This year alone I have grown so much in understanding what success means in both a classroom setting and as an artist. And—in learning from you—I have been able to redefine what it means to succeed as a singer. Over these four years, my vision of success has somehow grown and changed, and yet stayed the same. Hearing Félix Pie’s story was a loving reminder that an accomplished career does not equate to fame. And in this industry, so often we are told that in order to be accomplished we must be famous, we must be given validation and recognition by others. Of course, being recognized for your hard work, talents, and art is wonderful, but as long as you feel fulfilled by what you do and you feel you have a purpose, isn’t that success? It has been a joy to work with you Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, this was such a beautiful blog post, especially such a beautiful send-off for the seniors. I can tell you without a doubt, I am sure the way I think about success will change over the years, and no doubt it already has. I have rolled with the punches throughout this entire process, letting go of what was negative and seen improvements. I am exactly where I am supposed to be in life, and I am sure that all of the seniors would agree. I would like to say that in the short amount of time I have been in the MTP, I have made good connections with the seniors and am very upset to see them go, but have no doubt in my mind that if they have this mindset and your advice from this blog post, along with their unbelievable talent and work ethic, that they will get far in the professional industry. I am so proud of their hard work and am excited to see their, and fellow students' futures.

    Jack Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post Brian! My definition of success has 100% already changed since being here, and it continues to evolve every couple times I think about it. I really like to think about how success is different for everyone, and if you find a way to do what you love in a way you want to do it, then you really are successful. I love this group of seniors so so much, and can’t wait for everything that they accomplish, big or small (because those are big too).

    Also, Go Cubs!!

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this blog post was such a good way to close out the year. While I haven't had many opportunities to get to know the Seniors super well, I'm so excited to see where they end up! Even within this past year, I feel like my definition of success has changed so much. Within the process of the college application, rejection/acceptance, and decision process defining success has been a very fluid process for me. I'm so excited to see how it evolves even through these next three years.

    Thank you for a great year!
    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved the story that you told in your blog. It is a really good reminder to know that there is no one way to happiness, and as long as I am doing what I love and loving doing it, that will be enough. I want to thank you for not only being my first and (Always Favorite) voice teacher, but for showing me I have confidence and can use my talents to tell stories.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brian! This was a really cute story, thank you for sharing :) I know what you mean when you said that our goals might have changed because mine definitely have. I can't remember what my goals were prior to coming here. If you asked me then, I probably would have said that I would move to NYC straight out of college. I would have said it with such confidence, but I don't know if I would have 100% meant it. Right now, my goal is still to move to NYC, but I can wait before I go. I want to book a cruise, and I want to work on stage somehow in the future. Just enough to make a living, which is still quite a dream for an actor. Thank you for reminding us that you're our cheerleader :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great way to finish everything off. It’s still hard to wrap my mind around the fact that we’re nearly done. My goals have definitely changed since I first arrived and I’m curious to see how they’ll continue to do that through senior year. I’ve been feeling a lot of things lately as you know and I’ve been super nostalgic and I don’t really have words for it right now. I just know I feel so lucky to have you in my corner and we’re gonna make the best of our remaining time together <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it’s so interesting to know the inspiring backstory of a trinket I’m sure all of us had noticed at least one time or another. In fact, I recall in my lesson even today that this baseball was involved in some mindless fidgeting, or maybe adding to some deep thinking?

    Reshaping the idea of what “success” means has been a great stress-relief to me in the past year, and something I have found myself thinking more and more about as we inch closer to graduation. I think there was a pressure in high school and possibly early on in college that the only way to really “make it” is to get to Broadway and never leave, and if you take any other path as a theatre performer then you have failed. My professors here these last three years are living proof that this is not the case. There are so many ways to have fulfilling, meaningful lives on this path we have chosen, and to think with such a narrow mind excludes chances for growth, consistent work, and other meaningful experiences that others may cast aside in the pursuit of “the peak.” Don’t get me wrong, I still dream of one day being in an original Broadway cast! But the success of my career does not lie in whether or not this singular goal is achieved.

    Thank you, Brian, for all you have taught me in this short year you’ve been my voice teacher. I am so grateful for your unwavering support. You are truly committed to helping your students find success, and I’m sure the rest of the seniors feel the same. Thank you 🙂

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete