Monday, March 27, 2023

Begging, borrowing, and stealing

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal." 

Most of us have probably heard some version of this quote, often attributed to Pablo Picasso. But what does it really mean? Is it an endorsement of plagiarism? What's the difference between copying and stealing? And shouldn't we be coming up with our own ideas instead of poaching them from other artists? 

In the last blog, I shared Megan Hilty's thoughts about the importance of embracing our uniqueness. She believes this is the key to success as well as longevity in the musical theatre industry. Yet earlier in that same book (So You Want to Sing Musical Theatre), author Amanda Flynn also recognizes the usefulness of copying. She writes, "It is important to listen to professional singers to learn style, and mimicking can be a helpful way to explore sound." But she also warns that singers have to set realistic goals about their sound and not get lost in trying to copy someone else.  

From a technical standpoint, mimicking can be an effective tool. By exploring the sounds you hear in other singers and trying them out yourself, you can sometimes stumble upon different ways to negotiate your own voice or discover new sounds you didn't know you could make. So this kind of copying and stealing has real advantages. 

I saw a video this week featuring some of the best celebrity impressions performed on Saturday Night Live. In the video, they make a distinction between impersonation and parody. Jimmy Fallon's imitation of Jerry Seinfeld and Amy Pohler's imitation of Christopher Walken are both incredibly skillful impersonations. Will Ferrell's performances of Alex Trebek and Janet Reno, however, are better described as parody. Ferrell doesn't really try to sound exactly like the celebrities he portrays. Instead, he picks out certain mannerisms or characteristics that he then highlights or exaggerates in his performances. We can see hints of the celebrities coming through, but you wouldn't mistake him for the actual person he's parodying. 

I think there is a significant tendency for singers to do both impersonations and parodies of their favorite singers without even realizing it. More than once, I have complimented students on their near-exact replicas of performances by Jeremy Jordan or Sherie Rene Scott. Sometimes I hear them taking on certain vocal qualities of these singers and other times I recognize stylistic characteristics that have been swiped. Once again, if great artists steal, then all of these choices are available to us. But I think we need to be incredibly mindful of when and why we are imitating, impersonating, mimicking, copying, and/or stealing. 

Back to author Amanda Flynn, who expands on this idea. She says, "Singers often give themselves silent obligations. They may think that they must sound a certain way, or that they have to copy the riffs and style choices of the original artist. Sometimes they think this subconsciously without realizing it. Singers compare themselves to others and come up with ideas about what they are 'supposed' to sound like." (So You Want to Sing Musical Theatre, p. 217)

Singing with subconscious obligation of how we believe we are supposed to sound would seem to be the exact opposite of embracing our uniqueness. If these personalized expectations are what lead us to copy other singers, we are essentially trying to force someone else's characteristics and choices onto our own voices and performances. While it may be useful in select moments, wholesale imitation is really just a form of parody. 

By bringing these tendencies into the forefront, we can start to recognize when we are intentionally borrowing and when we are just defaulting to an impersonation of someone else. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but performing as anyone other than yourself is likely to fall flat. 

Now go practice. 



11 comments:

  1. I really liked this blog because I feel like this is something I really struggled with. Especially when I first got to college and the pop and rock started becoming more mainstream in musical theater. But instead of focusing on sounding exactly like certain people I changed my focus on being able to navigate my voice like those who I looked up to. I know that my voice isn't going to sound the same as say Megan Hilty, but I can work to make my voice more powerful like hers and also increase my belt/mix so that instead of flipping I can "steal" what she does and stay in one voice.

    ReplyDelete

  2. This idea has been on my mind a lot recently! Especially when watching others perform in Dem Lab (and myself), I recognize patterns in my peers along with recognized performers.

    When I was younger, I had a stronger tendency to copy. As I am growing into myself both as an artist and human, I've improved on the front of copying in the sense that it is more taking inspiration at this point.

    I have noticed that when I back phrase heavily during songs (Disneyland for example) its primarily because that's how the original singer performed it. Recognizing this will help allow me to find my own places to back phrase (stealing technique) rather than parodying previous artists choices.

    Alexa Shaheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is something that I definitely resonate with, especially recently with me working on Her Embrace attempting to sound like Jeremy Jordan.During my time here, I sometimes try to sound like someone else, that I sometimes don’t even really know what my sound is. Like when I sang Easy My Mind, I leaned into the temptation to imitate the warm quality of his voice, when I sing Take Me to Church, I try to mimick the dark tone that Hozier has, the list can go on and on. There is one instance that I think that I can potentially think that I have stolen rather than copied, and I think it’s when I sang Tennessee Whiskey, I didn’t feel the need to copy Chris Stapleton’s voice, but I did want to add my own southern twang into it. I want to be versatile so I think when I attempt to imitate a darker tone, it’s sometimes placed somewhere that doesn’t sound like me, but I think I’m starting to figure out my voice more to be able to create my own sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve always tried my best to not copy other people/recordings, and I’ve always been taught to sing like myself, but the older I get the more I see the benefit of trying to sound like other people and to find ways for my own voice to do the things that they do. By “stealing” their techniques and adopting them into my own voice, I can learn new ways to do things and add more tools to my toolbox, which will help me be a more versatile and well rounded artist by giving me things that I can play with. I think that as long as you know what you’re doing and if it’s being done intentionally, taking techniques and sounds is more than okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning that stealing was a good thing during my time at the U was really confusing to me up until recently, people always said stealing was great copying was bad. I didn’t understand what they meant until recently, you can steal but understand why the actor does what they are doing. Imitation is something I default to because thats how I learned how to sing in the first place, I think I am getting better about being my own voice but as we’ve seen with the Michael Buble stuff I still do a bit of imitation by default. Here is to learning to steal better!
    - Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely at times have found myself taking inspiration from vocal qualities of singers who have sung the songs that I am using in my book. I also feel I am making sure that I use my own as well to make sure that I have plenty of changes to make the performance my own. When I do, When I am Older, from Frozen 2, I make sure to make the voice my own.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed that a lot of the time I sing along to backing tracks in the car, or cast albums, I imitate the way the performers are singing on the track, and prior until the past two weeks, I never thought about how it might have an impact on the copying of the performance. It never allowed my personality to shine through. For example, I sang along to Giants in the Sky so many times with the new cast recording, and it carried through into my voice lessons, because I had literally picked all of the spots to breath at the exact same time Cole Thompson did. It really has been affecting how I view making a performance my own in a much more negative way, but going forward, I am going to try my best making choices and being confident enough in my own singing to make it my own, rather than a parody or imitation of someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is hard not to imitate people, especially when they're so good. I struggle because I feel like my "natural" sound tends to be one that people don't like, so I don't often use it. How do I use my natural sound but also be marketable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeling like I need to perfectly imitate other artists in order for my voice to have value and worth is something I’ve struggled with for a long time. When there is often a “streamline sound” for musical theatre artists, not fitting into that can be intimidating. However, gaining confidence in what I can bring to the table has allowed me to find a more healthy balance—I think—of being more and more mindful of when I’m imitating another artist. I do grow a lot from listening to singer’s sounds and placement, and in replicating that sound I then begin exploring what it feels like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel as though, with regard to the borrowing and stealing of techniques, styles, etc. from other, often famous, artists I walk a particularly fine line. At this point in my life, I still attribute a great portion of my musical upbringing and ability to hold a tune to the sheer amount of music I listened and sang along to growing up. In learning to mimic the styles of a range of artists (and even the instruments accompanying them), I was able to understand how to match pitch fairly early. However, once I began formal training the primary lesson I was taught was to work from the ground up and sing completely without style to build a foundation of technique. I feel this has built a strong ability for me to sing accurately, but I now feel unsure of whether I've passed the "milestone," yet, wherein I can finally incorporate my own stylings. Furthermore, I feel as though this lesson kept me from even exploring what my own style might be, and I am now stuck in a spot where the illusion of a checkpoint has seemingly not been met, and even if it had been, I wouldn't know where to even begin with regard to my own style. To answer the question of whether or not it is okay, or even wise, to borrow and steal from other singers: if it weren't for this practice, I don't think I'd even be able to hold a tune, but it becomes a problem when one is copying note-for-note and dynamic-for-dynamic the execution of songs by their favorite artists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Brian I definitely feel targeted haha. This is a big issue for me. I’ve always described myself as a very good mimic because I always tend to blend in to whatever original singers did no matter the genre. And I think a pro to this is that it makes me versatile because I’m able to sing all kind of things in all kinds of genres but sometimes it can become confusing because I forget what my own sound is. I’d like to be someone that sounds like I belong in any genre and like all of it is my comfort zone but what comes with that is that sometimes I don’t know if I still sound like myself. I can never tell if what I hear inside is what the audience is also hearing. There are times that when I think I sound like myself but then I find out I just sound like the original singer. This happens all the time. And when I did love in the dark, I definitely sounded too much like Adele and I had to try and find a way to not make all the same choices she did and after much practice I think I finally found it. But it’s hard to start it off that way for me. Even when I did hadestown it took everything in me to try and not sound like Eva Noblezada. This is something I’m still working on but I’m finally taking steps to find what my own sound is and how to find it from the get go.

    ReplyDelete