Sunday, February 21, 2021

Motivation: Plateaus

In the last blog, we talked about focusing on process rather than product—the journey rather than the destination. As Clifton Ware says in Basics of Vocal Pedagogy, "...when the student learns to enjoy the journey, that is, the process of learning with the detailed routine of practice, real progress begins." (24)

So what do you do when you're engaged in the process but you aren't seeing any progress? 

Ware addresses this situation as well: 
"Students should be forewarned that even the most patient, enjoy-the-process approach inevitably will include learning plateaus, which are periods when little or nothing appears to be happening. Fortunately, frustration can be avoided and long-lasting results achieved by using plateaus as learning time for consolidating and internalizing muscular and mental responses through purposeful repetitious practice." (24)

Call it a plateau, call it stagnation, call it a rut. Regardless, we all know what it's like to be working hard but hardly seeing any noticeable progress. This can be a real de-motivator. 

In these times it can be helpful to remember our previous discussions of the three stages of motor learning. The middle associative/motor learning stage, which is between the beginning verbal/cognitive stage and the final automatic stage, is usually the longest period of the entire learning process. It requires the most focus, the most mental effort, and the most time (which may be measured in years, depending on the skill). It's just a part of learning to go through long plateaus of seemingly minimal progress. 

It's also worth defining what a plateau really is. The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word as, "a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress." Been there. 

But there is also a second definition of plateau: "an area of relatively level high ground." This definition reminds me of the gorgeous sandstone formations of southern Utah. If you've never done any hiking in Utah's red rock country, you should probably skip school and get down there right away. (I mean, you probably shouldn't skip school. Or...maybe you should.) If you have hiked up to one of these plateaus, you know how much uphill trudging it can take just to get to the level ground. Simply reaching the plateau is an accomplishment in and of itself, one usually rewarded by stunning views. 

When we have plateaued in our technical or artistic development, it's easy to forget how much time, effort, and practice it took to get to that point. It's good to look back during these times to see how far you've come and maybe just hang out a while and get used to this new "high ground." 

Lastly, although we often measure our progress through specific achievements, during the inevitable plateaus, we can shift our goals more toward the amount of time we log working on our skills. If you aren't able to note obvious gains, then celebrate consistently showing up to practice and putting your time in. 

You don't have to set a land speed record every time you go out for a run. But if you keep lacing up your shoes and getting out there day after day, you are much more likely to reach your goals than if you allow the frustration of a lack of progress derail you from the regularity of your routine. 

Now go practice. 



14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "plateau perspective" is new and exciting. True, stagnation can feel more stifling and frustrating than the lumps and bumps along the way. Previously, the sensation has been : momentum halted, and seemingly nothing in sight and no where to go. Reframing, one could look off the side of the plateau and admire all the work that was accomplished to get to the top. With this admiration at the forefront of cognition, one is reminded that they are capable of doing work because they, indeed, have ALREADY done the work. Sure, the effort ahead is uncharted territory, but one is already equipped with processes that have born success. Stopping for a second to take in the view might just allow a little room for "self vocal actualization" which can then give way to higher and higher "plateaus." Now, one is able to look ahead to these elevated plains because they actually signal achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this weeks blog. I think during these times of a "plateau" to self reflect and see how far you have come to even get to the point of a plateau. I think that yet it stinks to be stuck in a rut, but also to think that it wont last forever. I love the oxford definition and it really is true that progress will follow. And I think that when in a "plateau" to try something new or new techniques to see what can get you out of that state to help you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think now, more than ever, it is easy to forget the progress you have made and the accomplishments that you SHOULD be celebrating. This manifests for me often in self taping-it is so much easier to be critical when you can watch it over and over, you can zoom in on your face, your form, etc. It might just make you feel like you're in more of a "rut" than you really are.
    Once Margo talked to us about stages of awareness regarding our learning. There is the stage in which you are unaware and untrained, probably relying solely on raw talent. When training begins, you are made aware of how much you don't know. When training is complete and you are on autopilot with your cohesive set of skills, this is the final stage. This middle stage is a perfect parallel to the "The middle associative/motor learning stage" you were talking about. It is the longest, most uncomfortable stage. When we are aware of how much left we have to master, it can be painful and frustrating. That being said, the training is what will make us well rounded and reward us with a sustained career. A plateau isn't a bad thing-like with most things, progress isn't linear. It may be a useful recuperation period, depending on how you frame it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to this blog. When I don't see any progress for awhile or even a decrease in what I normally can do; I get really unmotivated and discouraged. It can be hard for me to keep putting in the work when it doesn't seem like its getting me anywhere. However when I take a step back and look at my progress I have a lot to be proud of. I shouldn't just look at what I can't do but remind myself of what I can. Because just like with putting up shots in the driveway, building muscle memory and consistency takes time and results don't come instantaneously. But going back to last week that's why it's important to fall in love with the process and find a way to make practice apart of your daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love envisioning a learning plateau from the second definition. I can definitely recall times in my learning process that I've felt little to no progress. Having the mindset that it can be a moment to reflect and look back on the hard work it took to get there would have helped me have more grace with myself and to encourage me to continue practicing. Part of loving the process as well! This also serves as a great reminder that the line of progress is anything but straight! While the overall arc is upwards, it is filled with plateaus and slides down as well. All we can control is our practice--how often it is, how focused we are, and for what purpose we are practicing. In time, the results will show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I currently am at a plateau, it is rather upsetting but I know it is just part of the process. I felt such a steady growth during last semester to be followed by a rut like this can put me down. Having the masterclass last Monday with Dr. Jenny Erickson was very helpful because she talked about somethings in a positive light that have become every day things for me. I love that I am growing but can only hope to get over this plateau soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this plateau perspective that we are reading about in this blog, and it makes absolute sense and something that I need to consider more often from here on out. I also feel at times that I am at a "plateau" and get irritated that I am not progressing or "getting better." But I love this idea of using that time to reflect on the progress I HAVE made and the accomplishments that I've already achieved. It also ties into that idea of learning to love the journey rather than looking for the end result. Understanding that we do have our bad days here and there and that that is okay! As long as we are practicing and making the time to get better, that is all that counts, because the results will come with time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I disagree with this idea of a plateau when we are not going forward or backward. In this context, the plateau is used to show that we are not moving forward or backward. Even if it's after and before periods of change or progress, a plateau is still flat, even ground. This ground may be higher up, but it is still flat. However, as long as we are working on something, even if it is only a small amount of work, the slope will never completely even out. By trying, we are moving forward, but we may not be able to see it. This is why people feel like they are "plateauing." In the past when I have felt I was getting nowhere, especially when I was facing a difficult challenge, this idea that as long as I am trying, I am moving forward has been immensely helpful.
    - Will

    ReplyDelete
  10. During this blog, I thought back to senior year of high school, when I was in my own plateau. I vividly remember telling my vocal coach, early in the morning, “I don’t feel like I’ve improved at all.” He then reassured me saying that I have, but I half-heartedly agreed. I wasn’t able to notice improvement on my own end. I believe an important thing to remember from this blog is that improvement is there, even if you don’t notice it. Currently, I feel like I’ve improved so much this year and I hope to continue. Patience is so so important in this industry and it’s important to remember to always have hope and you will look back one day and see how much you’ve grown!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is very important that we see the plateaus as accomplishments still. even if we don't see progress we still have what we have already done to look at and see that we are doing good. also, I have never gone hiking before. It makes me sad so when weather gets better, you know where i will be.
    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really relate to this blog. I've already had a lot of moments of being in a rut this school year and it's definitely not a fun time at all. I do have a tendency to just want to shut down and give up. Plateauing can be very discouraging but this blog provided a lot of new perspectives I hadn't thought of before. While it's not an easy thing to do and I know it will take a lot of practice, I will start trying to think of these moments in a more positive way. I will try and focus more on all the things I accomplished to get there and what I can do moving forward. It's all still part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of not giving up on a plateau. I need to remember how far I've come and enjoy the view from where I am now. I'm skipping on down to St George next week to fly off some plateaus :). But, I can use how far I've come as motivation to go even further. There's always gonna be another plateau to try to find.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe all performers can relate to this plateau mentality, physically and psychologically. I know I have questioned my position on singing, dance, acting, hell, any sort of hobby or skill-set. One thing I remind myself of to keep the motivation up, is how cool or satisfying it would be if I can hit a a4? Or a triple pirouette? How about squatting 350? All of these mindsets are ways I like to glide past plateaus in my life.

    Josh Wheeler

    ReplyDelete