Monday, January 20, 2020

The Verbal/Cognitive Stage of Motor Learning

In November, we discussed the stages of motor learning that are involved when we are building new skills. In the next few blogs, we will take a more in-depth look at each stage, the first of which is the verbal/cognitive stage.

As outlined in The Vocal Athlete by Wendy D. Leborgne and Marci Rosenberg, the verbal/cognitive stage is where we're just starting to explore a new skill and getting a feel for what we're doing. This stage requires a lot of repetition, guidance, and feedback, and involves many failed attempts.

When students come to my studio singing with a significant amount of jaw tension, for instance (a common inefficiency among singers), my job is to help them create a new habit of singing with freedom at the jaw. To let you in a bit on the process, here is how I often structure voice lessons to help them work through the verbal/cognitive stage as they acquire this new skill.

First, I explain the important role of the articulators in singing (jaw, lips, tongue, etc.) and how they allow us to have clear diction as well as open, resonant vowels. In order to provide accurate anatomical understanding, I show them pictures of the temporalis and masseter muscles and explain their function as jaw-closing muscles. Then I direct students through self-massage of these muscles, encouraging release of any tightness or tension.

Temporalis muscle, by Henry Vandyke Carter - Henry Gray (1918) Anatomy of the Human Body (See "Book" section below)Bartleby.com: Gray's Anatomy, Plate 382, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=528874
Continuing, I ask students to place their hands across their jaws while encouraging a sense of looseness, using their own sense of touch to create sensations they can feel and remember. Then I have them vocalize on simple, easy patterns while maintaining the sensation of looseness at the jaw. When they can do this, I ask them to look in the mirror as they vocalize so they can see what it looks like to sing with freedom at the jaw.

Masseter muscle, by Kevjonesin - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26222892
Then I will start to take some of those cues away. I will ask them to drop their hand from the jaw but to continue looking in the mirror. Then I will have them look away from the mirror and only use their internal awareness (proprioception) to see if the jaw is still free as they sing. Then I will change the vocal pattern they are singing and after every third or fourth repetition I will ask them to either touch their jaws again or to look back in the mirror. By doing this, the students start to build a repertoire of visual cues and physical sensations of what it is like to sing without excessive jaw tension.

I may then move on to a completely different exercise and change their focus to another element of their singing. After a few minutes, I will ask, "Was your jaw free on that last exercise?" If the students say, "I don't know," I'll say, "Let's do it again and see what you notice."

I try to avoid simply telling students, "Your jaw is tight," even if that is something I see. Instead, I prefer to redirect their attention back to the jaw so they can make their own assessments. This causes the singers to check back in, observe, and make an adjustment, if needed.

Progressing through the verbal/cognitive stage of specific singing skills means practicing the unfamiliar until it becomes familiar. In this process, there will be some successful tries and some failures, each of which will begin to inform our successive attempts IF our attempts are done with focus and awareness.

As I have mentioned before, there are some elements of our singing that are more developed and some that are less developed. It may be human nature to avoid practicing the skills that are less developed since they tend to frustrate us. But without doing the work of focused repetition, we won't progress beyond the first stage of motor learning.

What elements of your singing are in the verbal/cognitive stage? How have you been doing in working toward your semester goals so far?

Now go practice.

18 comments:

  1. Unsurprisingly, I believe both tongue and jaw tension are in the verbal/cognitive stage. Once I was told I grind my teeth I became much more aware of my jaw's fatigue and in turn when it is in use/clenching. I've gotten a bit better with it but I'll still need to keep checking in. With my goals I do believe the vibrato I got over break might be coming back slowly but surely. With everything else tech has kinda been killing me but I'll be ready to get back on the train soon enough.
    -Brendan Lowry

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me I think both jaw tension and lowering my jaw are both at the verbal/cognitive stage. I am very aware that I need to create more space for certain notes and I don’t need to clench my jaw to make that happen either. Now that I’ve been aware of it for some time, it’s becoming easier to relax and reach those shapes but I definitely need the reminder when my brain is too focused thinking of notes or lyrics it tends to slip back to what it’s comfortable doing.
    I’m feeling pretty good working towards my goals so far. I always make time to practice more belty sounds and trying to keep up what I worked for last semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the verbal/cognitive stage of vowel shaping. When changing genre of song I still find that I need to be reminded or purposefully remember to change lip shape and placement. I got notes from juries that my bottom lip sometimes covers my lower teeth too much so I have been more aware of that and I am interested in playing with that shape to see if my sound is better when I change how my lower lip is shaped.

    - Niko Krieger

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, jaw and neck tension are definitely in the verbal/cognitive stage. I have definitely seen progress, but it is still an area where I have much to work. It is noticeable to me when watching videos of myself singing, where I see my chin reach up and out while my jaw is nearly clenched. I also feel it when I've been singing for long periods; there will be a soreness in those areas that I recognize come from tension. I know that eventually, singing with more ease will become second nature, but right now it requires consistent thought and focus. I feel like I am making positive progress on my goals this semester. I am finding more ease and power in my upper range. I am also gaining more confidence in my voice.

    -Caleb Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. The verbal/cognitive stage that I am in is a transitional one from fully understanding how I normally am controlling, moving and acting when I am singing, to understanding what I need to correct as I am singing. I understand that I use the power and projection of my voice, without using the subtleties or nuance that I should be using. I am also more understanding of why my voice sounds nasal sometimes. This is because I do not always fully open my upper pallet, and when I do the sound and air are flowing more freely. I think I have been working well on my goals for this semester. The first couple of weeks were crazier than normal, but I am now in the swing of things and able to practice, with success and failure on working on my goals.

    Will Tepner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I am in the verbal/cognitive stage of both consistently singing with aligned/ proper posture, as well as some remaining eyebrow tension at the higher end of my register. When I practice, I always make sure to check in with my eyebrows, and it has mostly been "dealt with" but it occasionally creeps in, if I am not cognizant of it. However, I don't always think about my posture when singing. In dance this year, we've been really focused on engagement of out backs and consistent posture, so I am very aware of my posture of a daily basis, and always trying to work on keeping things in line. In my singing, I just don't think about it. But, it does provide a better ability to breathe, and also opens things up in the back space. If I consistently think about this in my signing, it will make things a whole lot easier, and will also be easier to do while dancing, or moving around- like in blocking. Then it will be one less thing to worry about! As far as my goals are concerned, I think I am creeping towards my goals with gusto! Confidence in my voice is growing, and I'm starting to understand how it ~feels~ to sing in a healthy and efficient way. I'm also falling back in love with singing, and rediscovering how healing and enjoyable it is! DUH! That's why I did it in the first place, and I am so happy to have gotten back to that place :) Vocally, things are looking good this semester, and I can't wait to see where they continue to go !
    -Treygiorni

    ReplyDelete
  7. With verbal/cognitive processes I have a couple. I am one of those that came in with a ton of jaw tension. In the first couple of months, Brian gave me a couple of jaw tension release methods. I currently do a lot of jaw massage techniques, for example: when I sing I move my jaw in a circular motion while watching in the mirror. I also feel that I have to use repetitive actions with my practice in all sense of the word. I repeat, my singing, my lyrics, jaw massages, etc. My own practice has been brought to a halt in the last couple of weeks. Due to how vocally taxing the show that I’m in is and the vocal problems that I have had recently, most of my practice has been just listening and memorizing lyrics, not singing.
    -Caden

    ReplyDelete
  8. The aspects of my singing that I feel are certainly in the verbal/cognitive stage right now are my mixing and my riffing. I’m still at the point that when I mix, I have to actively think about my placement and airflow and a lot of times (generally when other people are watching me), those things don’t line up that well and the execution is less than perfect. As for riffing, I’ve never had huge amounts of vocal agility; I’ve always thought of myself as the kind of singer that did more legato, sustained notes. It is becoming increasingly clear, though, that riffing is something I should be able to do. I generally avoid it, but maybe I should stop that.
    There is steady progress on my goals up to this point. I’m practicing more (and more regularly). I’m still working on getting into my mix consistently because it’s not always there. I’ll just keep working, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that my skills are almost all in the verbal cognitive stage (or at least, I observe that they break down under pressure). I think I can improve my performance by drilling the technique of my performance until it is so second nature that I can replicate it consistently in stressful situations. Then I will add style and acting to my performance. Those skills, the ones that give life to a performance, are certainly in the verbal/cognitive stage. Voice and acting coaches can coax them out of me with skillful direction, but they are not ingrained enough in my brain yet to be unconscious.

    -JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s great to see a post like this when I’ve been slowly trying to lean back into lessons. All break I was wondering “is there a lot of tension in my jaw” or is there unnecessary tension in general when I was singing. After a point I began to even forget about that being apart of singing. After reading this post though I’ve noticed I do seem to ignore the things I’m not good at. It’s human nature but it is also up to us to work on what we’re not “good” at. Yes, some people are extremely talented but hard work can never be substituted. Constant practice, a strive to get better and realizing there is going to be failure is the key to success. I’ll remember this for when I’m playing piano, helping my a cappella group or are just practicing to practice. Thank you for everything Brian!

    -Isiah Cambridge

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think for me, my head voice in my upper register is in the verbal/cognitive stage right now. I know that I am comfortable with singing high notes really loudly and in a chest-dominant placement. However, I'm beginning to realize more and more that I need to be able to sing higher in a lighter placement. Singing "With You" last semester was really helpful for that, but I know I still have a far ways to go to get my head voice to be consistent when I sing higher notes. I am glad that this is one of my goals for this semester, so that I can really focus on making this a priority so that I feel more comfortable to do repertoire that requires a lighter sound for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just starting out with Brian this semester has been great, I feel like I've learned a lot in just a short time. However, I see many parts of my voice are still in the verbal/cognitive stage. What we worked on most recently, using straw phonation to use the CT only, I would consider to be in this stage. The control of volume on any pitch, as I stated in my goals early, is also in the verbal/cognitive stage. Through my practice that i've actually been keeping up with well, with time and consistency I can achieve my goals I set out a few weeks ago.

    Josh Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  13. The parts of my singing that are in that stage would be use my jaw to much when I sing. there are times when I don't need to use certain parts of my mouth to sing. for my goals I am doing a lot better job of keeping a good posture. when I am practicing, I am keeping all of the good aspects of my singing and improving on what I feel could be better. today infant I auditioned for a solo for one of the MTE group pieces. so far this semester has been going really well.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've actually been practicing regularly! I'm so happy and feeling excited to progress. I can't believe I didn't do the freaking blog on time again. MOST of my singing skills are in the verbal/cognitive stage. I've noticed creating bright sounds is slowly creeping out of that stage and into a higher proficiency than I've ever experienced. Those little milestones are really important to me, they give me a little boost when I'm feeling bad about my abilities. I ALWAYS feel better after I sing, and that helps me self-motivate. I realized this week that I don't have good control of my volume. It's really hard for me to control it in the first place and then remember to keep the volume steady instead of defaulting into wherever I naturally go. Most things are FAR from clicking for me, but I'm on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Singing in my mix range or rather singing through my passagio is in this stage. I am just trying to get a feel for it and sometimes I can make it work and sometimes I can't. I see that the exercises I'm doing are there to challenge me and to get me to feel how different parts of my voice work. I see that there are some things that have become easy for me and some things that wouldn't seem to be that different are a much bigger struggle. I have to just keep being patient, keep practicing, and keep challenging myself. I wont't progress if every sound I make is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Falsetto sometimes is in this stage... just an area of singing I'm not required to sing in much. I am though in Floyd... but the context calls for almost a full voice slowly switching into the falsetto while sustaining the same note. Working on it. I used to have significant jaw tension. That was my bane from 18-23 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few things in Dracula that pulled me into areas I wasn't used to as well. When I thought to take a Dracula song to auditions, Kristen Blodgette said that although it was a good song for me, there were notes that exposed the weakness in my voice, on the lower end of the range. So... naturally that's something I just need to spend more time on. Although you're right, that's the area I want to stay away from as much as possible because it's hard. "It's not hard, it's just new."

      Delete