Monday, November 3, 2014

To your health

Due to the environment in which we work, almost no one stays healthy for an entire semester. The onslaught of cold and flu season is exacerbated by the stressful academic schedule we maintain and the seemingly constant exposure to sick classmates and co-workers. This can be further compounded by the lifestyle many college students choose that is not always conducive to optimal health.

One of the best ways to avoid getting sick, of course, is to constantly work toward overall good health. (Consult a doctor for the best advise. A real doctor, I mean.)

-Maintain a balanced diet
-Exercise regularly
-Make a full night’s sleep a priority
-Drink plenty of water
-De-stress your life (to the degree that you can)
-Wash your hands often

But, when you do get sick, as we all eventually do, there are some additional things we can do to minimize the impact on our voices.

-Make sleep an even bigger priority (this is one of the best ways to allow your body to heal itself)
-Continue drinking a lot of water and making healthy food choices
-Prioritize your voice use when sick. Don’t oversing or speak too much if your voice is weakened due to illness.
-Try to keep all coughing to a minimum. Knowing how hard that is on the voice, the less coughing you can do, the quicker the vocal recovery.
-Know the side effects of the medications you may be taking. Most decongestants, for instance, dry out the voice. This doesn’t mean you can’t take them but it should mean you minimize your voice use and increase water intake while using these medications. You can go to ncvs.org and click the “check your meds” logo to see the impact that all kinds of medications may have on the voice.

AND if you are sick please do all you can to keep your germs from spreading to others.

-Keep tissues on hand
-Cough and sneeze into a tissue or at least into your sleeve
-Wash your hands often
-Know when to just stay home

According to Dr. Wendy LeBorgne’s chapter “Vocal Health and the Music Theater Vocal Athlete” in “So You Want to Sing Music Theater: A Guide for Professionals,” a 2013 study supports use of a neti pot to clear sinuses or for allergy relief. She also says that gargling water or salt water (without too much salt) can help in treating or preventing upper respiratory infections.

Many people find tea with honey to be soothing to a sore throat. Or course, this will not (or should not) reach the vocal folds but it can make the tissue of the mouth and throat feel nice. Just make sure that it is herbal tea since caffeinated tea (any caffeinated beverage, really) will have a drying effect on the voice.

No one can avoid illness completely. Unfortunately, the time we are busiest and the most stressed out (tech week, juries, finals) we tend to have compromised immune systems and are more susceptible to getting sick. In that case, take care of yourself even more and be protective of your voice. Any way that you can minimize harm to your voice while sick will hopefully result in being back to full vocal strength even sooner.

Buena salud. To your health.

Now go practice.

5 comments:

  1. I have found, especially as the weather changes, that it is as important to prepare the place I practice as it is to prepare my voice to practice. It's much harder on my voice and hinders my ability when I sing in a cold room full of cold, dry air. I have to prepare my singing space so I am not pushing in a cold, dry space. This usually means singing in the bathroom with the shower running to bring warmth and humidity so that I can fully access my instrument, which works wonders. Humidifiers, or simply boiling some water and singing over the steam also helps me prepare a singing space so I can feel comfortable in my voice.--Keaton Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been in 3PO rehearsals now for about 5 weeks and we are starting to do runs of the show, and I am exhausted. So when I am exhausted my voice is exhausted. But good for this show the vocals are not as demanding as other shows. No matter, I still need to warm up for the show! I also have learned that health and exercise helps the voice so much! Every time I go to the gym and go to rehearsal or the show that night my voice feels ready to work not so…. Tired or thin as I like to say… its because I have already engaged those breath muscles to start working.

    I have done a little experiment one night when I went home I was super hungry but I decided I was only going to drink tea or a small glass of chocolate milk and then just feel up on water. I woke the next morning and felt great there wasn’t any acid reflex that has come up into my vocal chords when I was sleeping then the next night I decided to eat actual food. I woke up the next morning and my voice was raspy and not so clear. So food does matter you need to watch what you eat and drink to get the best performance you want…. Whether we do that or not is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The straw has been my best friend the past couple of weeks! Because of the little sleep I get during tech week, I have often found that my voice is a little more tired than usual. Whenever I feel stress or pushing from my voice, I simply take out a straw and vocalize through it for a couple of minutes, and I am completely back to normal. By doing it every couple of hours my voice has maintained a nice easy quality, which has been very nice while performing. And I agree with austin! I find that doing a great physical warmup before performing really connects my body with the voice and I find great power in my voice. I like experiencing how everything really works together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So we finally got our water heater turned on in our place, and we have lived here since June!!! We apparently were actually linked to our downstairs neighbors heater so we had hot water, but now since we have had ours turned on I can run the shower for 2 minutes had create a SAUNA in my bathroom... No joke. The water is near boiling coming out of the shower. This acts as a great vape and practice environment! I have also fallen in love with my straw and Brian's warm ups. Vocalizing and running through pitches with the straw really seem to help when I sing the song for real later on the session or the day. The big thing for me in these next few weeks is memorization!!!! I need to get on that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like singing at the top of my lungs (who doesn't?), and I don't get sick very often. When I do get sick, I forget sometimes I should sing that loudly. It can hurt, but I just keep pushing it, which is not good for me. I appreciate all the advice I've got though singing class and our private voice about how to best take care of the voice. I also really appreciate how scientific you present the information available because it's easier to rely on. I hope, in the future, that I will keep my voice in better health so that my practices and performances alike will not suffer as much from fatigue or illness.

    ReplyDelete