André De Shields is nothing short of a legend. In his nearly 60-year career, the actor, singer, dancer, director, and choreographer has won a Tony, a Grammy, and a Primetime Emmy, among other awards. On Broadway, he was in the original productions of The Full Monty, The Wiz, and Hadestown, where he originated the role of Hermes. Most recently, he appeared as Old Deuteronomy in Cats: The Jellicle Ball, a role that earned him another Tony nomination.
Earlier this year, in an interview on National Public Radio, he offered some career advice that seems in line with our early-semester discussion on goals. And when someone like André De Shields offers advice, I figure it's in all of our best interests to pay attention.
In his 2019 Tony Award acceptance speech, he said, "Slowly is the fastest way to get to where you want to be." NPR's Steve Inskeep asked him to expand on that idea. De Shields said,
"Most people misunderstand that and say 'Slowly is the quickest way to get to where you want to go.' That is not what I said and it's certainly not what I meant. Now, because I am 80, I remember when 'fast' meant 'dependable,' meant 'secure'...[as in 'stand fast']...That's what I'm talking about when I say slowly is the fastest (surest) way to get where you want to be—not 'go.' That's a New York interpretation of it, because if you're not constantly in action you must not belong here, that kind of thing."
I appreciate how intentional De Shields is about his words (an unsurprising trait for such a successful theatre artist). There are layers of wisdom in what he says that would seem to apply to all aspects of life, including singing training. So let's take a closer look.
First of all, he advocates that we work slowly. I take that to mean that real progress doesn't happen immediately or on a short timetable. Rather, it is cultivated over many thoughtful hours, days, and years ("...not for just an hour, not for just a day, not for just a year..."). So we should make intentional choices as we go through the process of getting where we want to be, but we should also be patient with ourselves along the way.
Second, De Shields says that slowly is the fastest way, as in the most dependable way. This seems to say that there are other ways to get where we want to be, some of which may actually be quicker than working slowly and purposefully. I suppose some people haphazardly or accidentally end up where they want to be. But the most dependable way, the most reliable way, the most responsible way (both words listed as synonyms for "dependable" at Thesaurus.com), is to work slowly—in other words, deliberately or gradually (Thanks again, Thesauraus.com.).
Third, he makes a distinction between where we want to "be" and where we want to "go." Once again, brilliant word choice. One of the definitions for the word "be" is "to exist or live" (Dictionary.com). But another definition is "to belong." So, working toward where you want to "be" could mean working toward where you want to live, exist, and belong. That goes along with what De Shields calls the "New York interpretation" of his words, which falsely implies that if you aren't constantly in action then you must not belong.
The other distinction worth noting on "be" versus "go" is that the first word lives in the present and the second is concerned with the future. If we are always focused on where we want to go at some point down the road, we may miss the opportunity to fully be, exist, and belong where we are. Since nothing in the future is guaranteed, focusing more on where (and who) we want to be now feels like a better plan than expending all our energy on trying to get somewhere else (or be someone else) at some later time.
So what does that mean for setting goals? How can I make a three- to five-year plan, as we discussed in the last blog, if my focus is on being in the present?
For starters, the word "be" is still a verb, meaning it can still be intentional and active rather than static. "Being" the best singer I can means that I will do something today that supports being the best singer I already am. That includes exercises and practice sessions that are designed to build skills, develop artistic capabilities, and simply enjoy what I am capable of doing today. Of course, it also has the added benefit of contributing to future growth, even if our focus is in the now. Imagine where you will eventually be in three to five years if you can commit to the slow, daily, dependable work of building where you want to be now.
How has it been working on your goals these first few weeks? What have you noticed? Do you need to make any adjustments to your original goals?
Now go practice.

I find it very reassuring that De Shields uses the word ‘Be’ rather than ‘Go.’ Just as you said, if I was consistently looking forwards to something, I would miss what I have now. That seems a bit careless to me, and sad. Life is good where I am! I choose to make the best of every day, even if it is not necessary where I want to be forever. Life is the journey, not the destination. That has become more apparent to me as I have been working on my goals these past weeks.
ReplyDeleteSpecifically my goal of learning my vocal range. That is still in progress, I have not yet determined an accurate range because the more I sing, the more I Can sing. As such, it is ever changing at the moment. Not to mention my vocal ability does vary from day to day. Due to this realization, I believe I need to add a ‘stepping stone’ to this goal.
Before learning my range, I need to better understand what it means to sing consistently. Or rather, what my consistency is. The notes I can reach consistently, which I know will continue to change with practice but still.
Essentially, my goal needs to be a multipstep process. A multiassessment process. Instead of simply writing down my highest and lowest notes once, I should study them over a period of days. Thus allowing a more comprehensive knowledge of my range, allowing room for ‘off’ days.
My goal of becoming more confident when singing in front of others, is improving but not noticeably yet. I still have a long way to go. I simply need to ‘perform’ more. Sort of like exposure therapy. The more I am placed in a situation where I need to sing in front of others, the more comfortable and confident I will become.
I am excited to see how I improve as the semester continues!
The idea of being "slow" is really reassuring to me. Being in an atmosphere with so many talented people, sometimes it can feel like I should be further along, especially with my singing abilities. But when I read this article, it reminds me of my ballet training. It took me 17 years to get to the level I'm at today, and I still have constant room for improvement. I am very happy with the progress I've made and would never expect to magically improve my dance technique in a matter of weeks. It takes repetition, trying out different strategies, and consistency to improve. So why wouldn't I apply that same logic to my singing? Hearing someone as successful as De Shields affirm that slow is the best pace was a great reminder of that.
ReplyDeleteMy goal to build head voice is coming along okay. I have found practicing somewhat difficult as I live in an apartment and am shy about singing. I have managed to find to that my roommate isn't home to practice, but even then, I am very aware of the fact that my neighbors can hear me. It makes me much more tentative, and then I end up singing quietly/scared to experiment, so then I'm not practicing as productively as I could be and can't get an accurate read on my abilities. But I just need to get over that! I guess my new "mini-goal" will be to get over my neighbor anxiety and just vocalize however I need to. I'm looking forward to the progress I can make by practicing more full-out!
This is such a helpful and beautiful line of thinking! As a person with OCD, there is a constant fear-based brain connection between my thoughts/actions now causing something negative to happen in the future, and that causing rumination on those negative thoughts of a future that likely will not come true. In our world that is more and more future focused, I love the idea of "being" each day with intention of achieving goals but also living and understanding what they are doing for me right now in the moment. What is in my control is staying present and living in a way that betters myself and my abilities. I have noticed that some personal anxieties or feelings have got in the way of my practicing at times, comparison and other negative or emotional wounds have been picked at recently and that can be hard to continue to be motivated. I am proud, however, that I have been responding by allowing myself to hold those feelings and then also push myself at times to keep working.
ReplyDeleteOne of the ideas from this blog that really stood out to me was concerning too much with what the future will bring and hyper-focusing on how to get there, rather than living here, rather than "being." This is something that I have struggled deeply with. Often, I've found myself only thinking about what is coming next and completely missing living in the moment, and frankly it sucks. So moving on from that mentality (or rather, the hyperfixation) is something that I'm working on.
ReplyDeleteAs for the goals! It hasn't been terrible, I think. I've mostly just been following this one video from one of my music-major friends, and recently been using our vocalization from class as well. Also, I've just been more conscious of my voice lately. Not yelling as much. Not straining when I sing high. Thinking about breath and where I want the sound to come from. And I think I've actually noticed a difference! My voice feels less tired and scratchy, and I think that I can sing for longer. Or maybe I'm only seeing what I want to. We'll see. Anyway! One of the biggest obstacles I've encountered has been being consistent and sticking with the times I've set aside. It is so easy to come home from school tired and fatigued, and to just let my brain convince me to push everything out, or to skip it altogether. Also, the evening, when I practice, is the only time that many of my friends and I are available, so that is another obstacle that I have been navigating. I might have to go from 5 days to 4 days a week, so that I can leave some more time for other activities and so that I don't burn out. We'll see, though!
The idea that progress is slow has always been a difficult thing for me to get on board with. It always becomes a question of what I'm doing wrong. If I know what the technique is, what it is supposed to be, why can’t I do it? Why does it take so long for my knowledge to grow and apply? Ultimately it’s because the voice, and singing, is not a science. You can’t magically plug in the information and get the right result/answer. The way that Andre Dè Shields phrases it makes it feel better. Going slower allows you to build a sturdy foundation. The voice is a fragile instrument that is a huge part of who we are as performers. By being steady, regular, and slow, we allow ourselves to grow and make mistakes where we can backtrack before they become habits. Rather than slow, I like the idea of fortitude and steadiness. It also serves that slow progress is progress nonetheless. Every little step, every little moment, every second we spend practicing is one brick closer to the castle we hope to one day have.
ReplyDeleteWorking towards my goals of understanding music theory better and working on my breathe efficiency has been going okay. I have been refreshing on what I know about music theory and Utilizing music theory.net every practice session. I have found breathing is hard for me when I am anxious or stressed and so I want to add into my breathe efficiency goal some effective coping strategies for my performance anxiety and practice utilizing them when I perform in front of my peers. I really like the idea of "slow" discussed in this blog and by Andre de Shields. It reminds me to put effort and quality into what i'm doing not rush results.
ReplyDeleteI really found the whole "slow" aspect relieving. I don't come from a huge history of singing and I can't say that being in a room with incredibly amazing voices helps my confidence in my voice. The "Slow" thing really helped remind me that everyone is at a different level and trying to compare to them will only hinder my own progress. As I have been practicing with the daily warm-ups along with working on my own songs for private voice lessons, I have noticed my voice feels like it warms up faster or at least feels more "ready". My goal was during performances that I would be more grounded and less scared to allow my jaw to loosen and body to allow to proper breath support. I think this a good goal but also, I'm realizing that this goal really can only be improved by actually singing for people. As much as this terrifies me, a goal for this weekend is to try singing for friends. I also am staring to work on, while practicing my singing to really keep in mind of what my jaw and body are doing, trying to catch any tightening or poor breath support.
ReplyDeleteI love De Shield's emphasis remaining on the present instead of the future, and your reminder to us that the future is never guaranteed, so we must work to be the best we can "be" right now, in the present. That is something I am starting to get better at--appreciating where I am right now, what is within my capabilities to achieve in this moment, and how much I've grown to get to this point. I have talked a lot with professors lately about the timeline of when growth really starts to show up, and I feel like this is the first semester I've really seen and FELT that improvement. My current voice goals have shifted as I've gotten deeper and deeper into rehearsals. Instead of pushing myself to grow, I am focusing more on maintaining my vocal health and longevity in the wake of upcoming performances. Consistency and ease is key to me right now, instead of taking risks for the sake of a small improvement on one skill. This translates pretty similarly into the goals that belong in other areas of my life. I keep planning out my weeks by asking myself "what can I realistically get done when, and how can I make time for rest and doing the things I love?" While I don't always get the balance right, I'm starting to get more into the groove, and I find myself procrastinating a little bit less than I used to (improvement!).
ReplyDeleteI’ve thought a lot about this quote. And I really like all of your additions. I thought looking at the quote from a view of consistency and not speed was especially poignant. Because it is true that you can take big risks and they can pay off sooner, but those big risks aren’t sustainable. The best way to get some where you wanna be is slow and steady and sustainable. But I think consistency is important aswell because if you wanna be proficient at something, you could try to take shortcuts and take risks but and that might get you foreign, but it won’t get you consistent. Consistency and sustainability go Hand in Hand. The strategy to reach proficiency should include both.
ReplyDeleteMy practices have been going well. I’ve been really focusing on the basics on the specific notes I’ve received from private voice instruction. take that into the discussion. I’m not focused on a specific timeline for my talent. I’m just focusing on developing consistent, sustainable habits that will set me up for success later in life.
I like how André De Shields explains that “slowly” does not mean lazy. It means working in a steady, careful way that you can trust. Rushing might look faster, but it often falls apart. Doing the work little by little every day is the more dependable path. The difference between “be” and “go” also makes sense. If I only think about where I want to go in three or five years, I can miss what I can already do today. Focusing on being a better singer right now, like practicing with care, enjoying what I can do, and building small skills still helps. It just does not put all the pressure on some far away goal. I have been trying to work on my goals these first weeks. Some days feel slow, and that used to frustrate me. After reading this, I feel more okay with the slower pace.
ReplyDeleteShirel Harrus
Andre De Shields’ commentary on NPR has not only led me to reflect on the goals for our class, but my general life goals as well! Often, I fall into the trap of thinking too ahead of time, and focusing on “going” rather than “being”. For example, there was a point in my life when I started to do my vocal practice for at least an hour every day, even when I didn’t have the time or energy for it. Despite the fatigue and exhaustion my voice would feel afterwards, I would say to myself, “If I’m going to NYC and pursuing my dreams of being a musical theatre actor, this is what it takes!” A year or two ago, I set a goal to read five books a year, because I felt that keeping up on literature would set me up to be a better writer. I thought to myself, “If I plan to get my plays on well-renowned stages, I need to expose myself to every type of writing possible and do that as early as I can.” Now, I wouldn’t call these objectives useless. Actually, they did support me in reaching my goals, at least for a certain period of time. However, my aims were too focused on the big picture, and I didn’t form them in a flexible manner to meet me where I was at. Ergo, I never fully achieved these objectives, which made me feel bad about myself. Now, I try to focus on setting goals that still challenge me but aren’t too overwhelming and can be managed with whatever else is going on in my life. So far, this has been working out for me, since I’ve been able to keep up with my goal to dedicate at least five minutes to solfege practice and work on songs of distinct genres. Overall, putting my attention towards my current capacity has been beneficial, and I have seen tangible improvement from that.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how much I needed to hear this quote. Over the past few weeks, I've felt myself slowly but surely drowning in the wealth of information new professors have given me. All of a sudden, I've found myself frustrated, entitled, and falling into old habits. I'm sure it's because I want so desperately to be a master. I want to live in a future that doesn't exist rather than stay focused on the present. There is no reason to torture myself for not being a "master" at 21. In fact, when looking back at these past weeks, I can only see a slow trail of light success and minor failure. Building a trail brick by brick that I can follow into the future. Following this advice means taking the slow path. I think I packed my rehearsal schedule too tightly. I said I'd practice my voice every day for 1-1.5 hours daily. With my current schedule, that just isn't viable; 20 minutes is enough.
ReplyDeleteIn my original voice plan, I said I'd alternate every day between singing and practicing voice-over. For right now, I'm going to take voice-over out of the equation and strictly focus on singing. Voice-over is tough on my vocal cords; with that, along with a daily rehearsal schedule, I'm not giving myself much time to rest my voice. The more I sing, the more I enjoy it; the more I'm able to coach myself through knowing what sounds good and what sounds could use more work. I'm very happy with the progress I've been making. Besides that, I really need to buckle down and figure out more for Music Theory; it's all flying over my head...
wowww I really liked this pov!!! I think that André De Shields’ idea that “slowly is the fastest way to get where you want to be” is something I sooo needed to hear as a performer. In a program as small as ours & through the increase of actor influencers on social media, it can be really easy to slip into this mindset where I feel like I should constantly be improving, accomplishing something, or moving on to the next goal.. so much so, that sometimes I get caught up in rushing my own timeline or trying to “race” my peers to be the first to do “X,Y,Z” instead of just focusing on what I can do right now. I really liked the distinction that De Shields makes between “being” and “going” because it reminded me that I don’t have to wait until I reach some future goal to feel successful or proud of myself. In this light, I’ll say that working on my performance-related goals throughout these first few weeks of school has been going pretty well. I’ve noticed that I feel the most successful when I focus on small, realistic things that I can accomplish each day instead of worrying about the bigger picture/ future plan all of the time. However, it’s not always super easy. Progress can feel really slow even when I am constantly putting in the work, BUT I’m learning that just because I don’t see some huge improvement immediately doesn’t mean I’m not making any progress. I mean, I think back to how I sang my freshman year of college, and while it wasn’t absolutely horrible, it was definitely not as intentional or vocal-health focused when in comparison to how sing nowadays. Anyway, I think that keeping my mindset in check when it comes to working on my goals for myself is going to be the most important thing for me going forward. This blog reminded me that it’s all about perspective, and so if I choose to look on the positive side, I will subconsciously begin to trust & believe that I’ll eventually get to where I want to be.
ReplyDeleteI find the idea of going slower to be really important, I have always tried to move too quickly or set unrealistic goals. In doing to I often fall hard on my face and have to start over. I have been singing since I was very young but never felt the need to move quickly with it like acting or dance. I want to be able to take my time and remember that it's okay that I'm not "there" yet, no matter where "there" is.
ReplyDeleteAs for the past few weeks with starting at the U and adjusting I've been moving very fast. I haven't been able to slow down and remind myself to breathe. I want to make more time for breathing in general, meditating, singing without the need to be prefect, etc. I have been working on my goals and practicing everyday. Ive noticed my voice has more clarity and support. Im able to spend the entire day talking, yelling, and singing all while being able to not feel vocally drained by the end of the day.
My range has not improved as much as I would like it to but I am in no rush and its okay for things to take time!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great concept. I find myself having such negative mindsets about not being exactly where I want to be, or having the skill set that I wish I had to the point of overworking myself trying to force my voice to do things that take time to master. The idea of “slowly is the fastest way to get to where you want to be” is so valuable and is something I should remind myself up consistently. the first few weeks have been a bit inconsistent for me in terms of practicing. I tend to get discouraged easily, and rather than take a step back and take things slowly and easily as Andre would do, I speed things up hoping my voice will respond to force, but it never works. I don’t think I need to make adjustments in my goals, I just think my mindset needs to change.