Sunday, September 27, 2026

The Age of Misinformation

I loved my college years. I wouldn’t say they were the “best years of my life,” which we’re often told they should be. But I do get nostalgic about that time of my young adulthood. 

One thing I absolutely do not miss, however, is just how many hours I had to spend in the library to complete assignments, especially research papers. Forgive the "back in my day" recollection, but I can tell you tales about using card catalogs, writing first drafts of papers by hand, and waiting weeks for books to come in via inter-library loan only to finally get them and realize they weren't the sources I needed after all. Today, having so much information immediately available on my laptop allows me to be more efficient, thorough, and prolific. It has completely transformed academia. 

But this accessibility has a cost. When so much information is available, we can’t always tell which sources we can trust. This is exacerbated by the fact that some people create content that is deliberately misleading or even blatantly false. Sure, I don't have to spend hours walking the stacks in the library, but I do have to do a fair amount of fact-checking to verify the accuracy of what I find online. 

Of course, there is plenty of misinformation in the voice world. One recent online conversation was sparked by Dr. Ian Howell of the Boston Conservatory and the Embodied Music Lab. He brought up how voice teachers sometimes post before/after videos of their students, often from lessons or masterclass settings. One concern Howell articulated is that sometimes the instruction that gets a social-media-worthy result actually moves a student away from sustainable singing. In other words, the singer makes a big impressive sound, but it's not necessarily the kind of singing they would be able to use in the long run. Another concern he has is that edited videos that only show quick clips and highlights misrepresent the process of how real skills are built. It can give viewers the impression that vocal study is just about discovering breakthrough moments rather than the actual slow, steady progress that leads toward authentic learning. 

Yet another concern is that these videos could easily be faked (and some on the thread admitted to having witnessed people staging before/after videos). A teacher could easily record a student making an impressive sound, then go back and ask the student to sing it again with an obvious flaw, and then reverse the order when the video is posted. I know, it’s shocking to think that anyone would be so flagrantly dishonest (and on THE INTERNET, of all places!). Even so, when most of the process and the context is removed, it leaves the viewer in the dark about what really happened during the lesson. 

Still another concern has to do with privacy. I’m sure most teachers ask their students for permission before posting videos of their singing (at least, I hope they do). Even so, when there are inherent power dynamics at play, as can occur in any teacher-student relationship, there can easily be an unspoken pressure on the student to agree to have their video posted publicly, even if they would really prefer it not be. 

Consider this circumstance: a 17-year-old student is in a before/after video that gets a lot of views. Five years later, the now 22-year-old singer is auditioning for professional theatre jobs. A casting agent searches the internet to learn more about that singer and finds the before/after video. How would that singer feel if potential employers were watching a before video displaying their less-than-ideal singing? I wouldn't expect that situation to be forefront in the mind of a 17-year-old, but it's something their teachers should have the foresight to consider before posting a video of them. 

I encountered a second issue this week when I read an article—that had been shared by a reputable organization—that was full of misinformation, inaccuracies, and potentially harmful directions. Some claims were probably just a matter of opinion, like the extent to which “diaphragmatic breathing” plays a role in certain kinds of singing. Some advice was simply banal and, therefore, not at all useful, like, “To learn how to sing, you should improve your technique.” Um, yeah. Duh. But other claims and advice had the potential to create problems, like singing through a straw while pushing out a lot of air at the same time. Please don’t do this. 

When I come across these situations, I always want to know why someone would share something so ridiculous. One reason I keep coming back to is that the creator wants to appear like an expert. Maybe it gives them notoriety, clicks, money, something that justifies posting incorrect or unvetted information. Or maybe they've received bad information themselves and they're just resharing what they've been told. I understand that the Internet and social media are tools. Anyone running a private voice studio is essentially running a small business, so they have to find a way to promote their services. In addition, they have to be able to demonstrate what makes them unique and more worth your time (and money) than the other voice teachers who are just a couple of swipes away. But I refuse to believe that resorting to unethical practices, like being intentionally deceptive or dishonest, is the best way to go. 

How, then, can we be better consumers of these media? Is there any way to really know what’s true and what’s a load of crap? One solution is to get your information from a lot of different sources. As effective (and convenient) as social media can be, if that is your only source of vocal information (or information on politics, nutrition, etc.), then you’re almost certainly not getting the full story. Instead, read articles. Read books. Attend workshops in person. Look for long-form videos that show a more complete process rather than an edited-down version that only shows the highlights. Once you start to find authors or creators (I refuse to use the absurd term “influencer”) whose ideas resonate with you, look for other things they have contributed. Look up their background to see where they trained, who they learned from, and how they acquired their perspectives. In the academic realms, you can look for information that has been peer-reviewed, which means a number of other professionals in the field have gone over their work before it was made available. TikTok is not peer-reviewed. 

Of course, this takes time and effort. And social media is incredibly alluring with its constant offer of tips, tricks, and hacks that promise instant success. But learning doesn’t work that way. I encourage you to dig deeper, look for more substantive sources, and practice a healthy skepticism when confronted with anything promising quick fixes. After all, a wise man once said, “Slowly is the fastest way to get to where you want to be.” 

How you encountered confusing or odd voice-related information online? How has your practice been going? 

Now go practice. 



14 comments:

  1. I agree completely that having so much information at our fingertips in seconds can be both helpful and harmful. As you said, anyone can put anything on the internet even if it is misleading or wrong. There is no real accountability for it either. However, I do also respect that there is great information to be found on the internet. If you know where to look for it.
    As many important members of society (past and present) have said, we will find what we are looking for. Even if that discovery is incorrect. I remember growing up and learning to trust .gov and .edu based websites over .org or .com for this reason. I believe to some extent, this still holds true. Information from sources whose purpose is to educate, will be more accurate than from those who want to 'sell.'
    I also think one of the best ways I know what is true or untrue, is to try it or think about it on my own. Some things may be true for me and others may not. Trial and error I find are the best teachers or truth now.
    I have not encountered much information in the way of technique for singing on social media, or any part of the internet really. This is due to the fact that I received sources and practices from trusted teachers and mentors. So I never had to look for it. I am also rarely on social media, which absolutely affects this.
    I am learning so much from practice, as stated in a previous comment, I find it interesting that my range changes day to day. I have found however, that I struggle with changes in tempo and rhythm. I know they are there, and where they are, but it often takes more of my focus to make that change. I am excited to see where my skill level is with this in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the positive sides of not having many vocal coaches is that for most of my life I have shielded myself from the internet and its overflowing levels of information when it comes to my voice. For a lot of the younger years of my life, I was completely off the Internet besides video games. I am grateful that from a very young age I was taught that most things on the Internet are untrue or they might be wrong so I shouldn't go running there for answers. This advice was extremely helpful for me. It probably helped me to not get too many ideas of how the voice works, because I came into this class with not many vocal “myths” in my head that had to be retaught. Sadly, however, we now live in an age where computers, the Internet, everything in that nature is completely necessary. This means that throughout the last year or two, I have seen a few myths that in class we have disproved. The main one that comes to mind is “You are born with talent and if you can’t sing then that is it, give up” and this phrase really stuck with me because as someone who doesn't really know how to sing, this kind of demotivates me to do anything related to singing. Which also means that when you explained to us that your voice can improve and everyone has the capability of singing, it really just awakened this drive in me to try and improve my voice, now with the understanding that your voice can improve. As for how my practice is going, I can say that when I practice alone, I feel very confident, but then whenever I try to sing in front of the class so far, my voice is tensed up. So, my practice is going well, and I feel myself beginning to get to the second stage of learning. I just need more live practice with people in get over that mental block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the internet. What a wondrous place, filled to the brim with people whose only goal in life is kindness. They just want to help! Right? Well....
    I am very grateful to my schools for teaching the importance of misinformation on the internet. One of my favorite teachers went out of his way to emphasize this by having the entire class undergo rigorous misinformation exercises, on the first day. It still admire him for it. He also created a space where students could openly discuss the information they found and seek help if they struggled, without fear of judgement if they had unfortunately been duped. Now, while I am not incredibly familiar with much of the singing practice, I can definitely say I've seen some of the videos you're describing (raise your yaw yaw yaw, anyone?), and as such, I am especially prone to the misinformation or clickbait. But that is how we combat the spread of this type of content: we must educate ourselves. Let our curiosity out. Because the minute we stop questioning is the minute we open the door to the potential danger that comes with this day in age. Anyway. Practice is going good! Or at least has been. It is going to great incredibly difficult to set aside time now that Hamlet rehearsals have started, and will be occupying a significant portion of my after-school time slot. Either way, I will do my best to fit it in as much as possible, even if it needs to be reduced to do so. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who uses TikTok and Instagram pretty frequently, I have to say that I haven’t encountered puzzling or misleading information about the voice online. Every time that I’ve stumbled across a video of a singer explaining certain vocal techniques or health hacks, they were very well-read and knowledgeable about what they were saying. However, this doesn’t mean that every vocal creator online is truthful and forthcoming about where they’ve learned certain singing tips or facts. Within every niche of the internet, there will be grifters who convince viewers to purchase overpriced courses from them, leading these people to pour their precious money and time into someone who doesn’t really know anything about the subject they supposedly “teach”. But, as stated previously, I haven't run into this with voice-related content creators, and I hope I never will.

    Regarding the before/after vocal videos that go viral on social media, I do have thoughts on that. Two years ago, there was this moment that went viral on TikTok at the Texas Thespians conference. Jodie Langel, a former Broadway performer and current vocal teacher was coaching a young girl, Athena Rae, through “I’d Rather be Me” from Mean Girls the Musical. Rae was struggling with singing a note that was in her higher register, and Langel had her sing this note on a tall “ya” to help release tension. Once Rae did this, she immediately hit the note, and all the other people in the workshop burst out into applause. Consequent to this video being posted on Langel’s page, it went viral, garnering millions of views. From my perspective, the main reason that this video got millions of views is because it has was “funny” and “silly”. Along with that, though, the video did find beginner singers as well, who have used it to improve their own vocal technique. Now, I don’t have a problem with people implementing the coaching from this video into their own vocal practice. That being said, I wonder how many of these beginner singers on TikTok stopped to double-check Langel’s credentials or considered the fact that this clip was just an edited and hyper-specific display of what it looks like to build vocal technique. If I had to guess, none of them did. When you’re on an app like TikTok, critical thinking skills go out the window, and at a certain point, people will listen to anything you say on there. Ergo, I feel that these beginner singers likely didn’t ask themselves if Langel’s technique on Rae would work for them, and definitely didn’t Langel’s page in a deeper way to learn what her credentials were. Next time a moment like this goes viral, I hope people stop and think about what they’re consuming, who’s verbalizing the message/advice, and remember that the post is just one tiny part of a larger moment. Being a skilled singer takes time, dedication, hard work, perseverance, and truthfulness, and I really hope we maintain that standard as an artistic community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! I could never, in a million years, believe someone would use the sacred palace of learning (which troglodytes may refer to as the "interweb" or "net"... I'd rather use the phrase "Zone Of Exquisite Knowledge For My Brain To Use" on account of my big, large brain) for such nefarious deeds as spreading misinformation! All jokes aside, I have run into so many "quick fix/hack" videos, especially for singing. Disappointingly, I have absolutely been influenced by material like that in the past. Even more disappointingly, when I was a younger and less experienced performer than I am now, I used the "blow into a straw and sing as hard as possible" trick before an audition; safe to say I hurt my voice and did NOT get the callback!
    I enjoyed what you said about how these videos hurt the growth of young performers. Especially those who may not yet have the confidence to start training their voice, as I once did. Young singers at no point should be told that there's some get-rich-quick scheme to better yourself instantaneously. The beauty of any art is the dedication and time you spend honing it; I find that especially poignant for singing. Young performers should be taught to relish the slow, intensive process of bettering themselves. When you learn to relish that process, you grow faster than you ever thought possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The age of misinformation that plagues the vocal world (as well as every other subject) has not been lost on me in the years I've grown up with the internet. I remember being taught to look for websites that ended in ".org" or ".gov" in elementary school instead of regular old ".com". The use of Wikipedia was forbidden, since anyone can add anything to those pages (hmm, sounds familiar). Nowadays, I find that in any form of research I do, if I don't find multiple peer-reviewed, scholarly articles that seem to mostly agree on the same topic, I can't begin to even believe whatever information they hold. I think one of the biggest threats to credible information is the rise of AI in every single platform and individual could possibly use on the internet. Every app has an "AI assistant". Google now has AI overviews that pull the most catchy lines from the top search results and wrap it up in a neat little bow for you. ChatGPT will write your college essay for you. Even the absolute insult of "AI Artists" have been sensationalized on the internet recently. Generative AI has been known to fabricate sources and facts to fit the wants/needs of whatever queries have been entered into its application. It will often plagiarize the works of artists off the internet with zero credit or care--it's a damn robot. I think it's inevitable for AI to also start to take over the voice world, especially on social media. Why would a voice teacher put in the work of filming and editing a video with a real student, when they could fake one with generative AI? Every single time I see a voice teacher TikTok reacting to somebody's performance to gain attention for their own account, or a before/after video, I just scroll, because I know it isn't helpful to me. I'd rather ask my real-life voice teacher! He's a Dr! (not that kind).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up with Instagram and TikTok has made everything feel so easy and instant, but it also means I see a lot of confusing or just completely wrong information every day, especially about singing. Those before and after videos are everywhere. They look impressive and get thousands of likes, but a lot of the time they only show the flashy moments. The real work of building a solid voice is slow and takes consistent practice, not just one breakthrough in a lesson. Sometimes the “after” sound is not even healthy long term. I’ve watched clips that made me think I should try something extreme, only to realize later it could mess up my technique. Privacy is another thing that hits close to home. I’m 19, so I still remember being a teenager and feeling pressure to say yes when a teacher wanted to post something. You don’t always think about how that video could stick around for years. A casting director or future boss could find an old clip of you sounding rough, and that feels unfair. I’ve also scrolled past so many posts and articles full of vague or risky advice. Things like “just improve your technique” or certain straw exercises that push too much air. Some people share it because they want to look like experts or get more followers. Others just repeat what they heard without checking if it actually works.

    Shirel Harrus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because of how targeted the internet has gotten and how a lot of social media apps and just software in general can target your personal interests I have seen a lot of "singing advice" or "how to magically change your singing" videos. a lot of them sell the idea that you make this one simple fix and you'll be singing like the greatest singer ever. though some of the information they are giving is correct about how to reach a correct placement, they always conveniently forget to tell you that you won't magically gain the skill right after you try it. it takes a very long time of consistent practice and care in order to sound like the people in the video. In addition they are benefitting off of not telling people it takes a lot of time to gain that skill. No one wants to be told it takes time effort and practice to build and establish a talent therefore the views and potential monetary gain if one were to be whole heartedly honest might go down. Knowing what I know from my years of personal training I can differentiate and tell if something is going to be useful honest and true. However, someone who doesn't have the knowledge I have gained could easily fall victim to these videos and do something unhealthy or have unrealistic expectations.
    To change topic to my practicing, Its been going okay, I have lost a significant amount of time in my day due to Hamlet rehearsals starting up. Most of my singing and practice has been in my car unfortunately. My mom is out of town and my brothers are at my dads house so I may be able to do some very late night practice sessions after I get out of rehearsal at 10pm but when my family is home its apparently "too late" to be belting my heart out. I do think I am sick though as I woke up with the throat tingle of doom this morning and it hasn"t subsided so wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a really intriguing blog post for me, as I had never really bothered to think about the validity of the information I was getting via social media regarding singing and vocal technique. Obviously, I know that things online have the potential to be fake or misleading, but for some reason my first instinct has almost always been to take what some random voice teacher on TikTok says as fact, especially before I came to college and started taking classes in our program. I think it’s a tricky subject to think about, because, as you mentioned in this post, some people are simply relaying what they have been taught to be true and have no idea that it’s actually false information. In this case, the “morality” of it all comes into play because they’re not necessarily trying to impose harm, but they do anyway, which I think is really interesting because how would one try to stop that? I guess you could leave a comment or send a DM, but then who’s to stop them from thinking that YOU are the one who is spreading the fake news, ya know? It’s just a really interesting scenario to think about and I totally got sent down a rabbit hole in my mind thinking of all of the voice-related media I’ve consumed throughout my years of having/ being active on social media platforms. I can’t necessarily recall a specific video or creator whose content I remember being “sketchy”, but I definitely think that some of the poor vocal techniques I’ve used in the past came about from a combination of watching singers or vocal coaches online do something and then trying to replicate it in their voice rather than my own. For example, if I was watching a video of a girl working on a song that is in reality very mix heavy, but her mix is just so bright and clear, or the acoustics in the video are so good that it sounds like she’s chest belting, then I might’ve gone and practiced that song in an unhealthy way thinking that I was doing it correctly. I hope that makes sense, but basically I just think that it’s so crazy how much of our technique and performance quality as singers is actually derived from the people that we listen to and watch on a tiny screen every day. Anyway, all this to say, my practice has actually been going pretty good so far & I’ve been feeling happy with the new things I’m discovering about my voice lately... although, I will now be on extra high alert when a singing-related video comes on my feed now because of this blog post lmao. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Misinformation truly is the epidemic of our era. It is beyond frustrating to see blatantly false reporting across a wide variety of sites and medians for a number of issues but especially surrounding things I care about like theatre or politics. I've (unfortunately) come across tons of voice misinformation, as well as engaged in comment "arguments" with people about things especially the voice. Most recently, a girl on TikTok lost her voice from a sickness and was asking for tips to get her voice back fast for her opening night the upcoming weekend. Tons and tons of comments had just incorrect information, especially surrounding random illness "curing" things like drinking honey and garlic, or throat coat tea actually fixing the cord inflammation. Lots of food information too, like completely cutting out any dairy and such. I left a comment repeating a lot of the information from vocal pedagogy (the best class ever!!), such as intermittent SOVT exercises coupled with vocal rest and lots of hydration for illness, and that no food/drink touch your vocal cords so the comments about dairy are inaccurate. To my shock and horror someone replied BACK to me saying I was WRONG in a very rude way! I never thought people were mean on the internet!! We commented back and forth a couple times before I gave up. It reminded me how stuck us people get in our beliefs and then how hard it is to change them. I mostly use TikTok voice coaches for their vocal warm ups if I find any that I like, and have definitely been sucked into the before/after videos at times. If "raise your yah-yah-yah" has taught us anything, masterclass videos can get you super famous even if you don't change much of anything in a student. No shade. Practice this week was unfortunately minimal due to my (ironic) sickness. Unfortunately the TikTok lifehacks with the garlic and honey or the potatoes in my socks didn't work like they said! Oh well I guess my body's natural immune system will have to do its job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well my first thought is my old vocal teacher told me to sing through a straw, so now it feels like my life is a lie lol. It's hard to know who to trust, especially on the internet. I completely agree that the amount of information available is a blessing and a curse. It's great because you really can find any information you want, but it's also very overwhelming and difficult to find the truth. I haven't watched much singing content online, but I've definitely seen videos where students are singing and then the teacher changes their posture and suddenly they have an incredible voice. It makes sense that these could be fake. I also think that people just like to spew their ideas or try to sound smart, especially in comments sections, so it's hard to filter out the noise. Practice has been going well - I'm working on caring less about the fact that my neighbors can hear me and practicing more full-out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find what you talked about with the before/after videos interesting. I have an example of this potentially hurting someone close to me. My girlfriends’ little brother found himself in a masterclass last year with the famous “raise your yah yah yah” lady, who asked everyone to bring in a song they were struggling with. He got the opportunity to sing for her in front of the group, and when he did, his voice cracked (because it was a hard song). She worked with him for a few moments and ended up posting his before and after video WITHOUT HIS CONSENT!! He ended up getting hundreds of super offensive comments because she wanted content on her page. 
there may very well be good techniques to learn from this woman, but the way she has a “one trick fixes all” approach is so weird to me. I see this type of message all the time on social media, and I think you’re absolutely right that if you are getting info online, it needs to be mixed with other opinions and fact checked. The most I’ve learned about the voice has been from in-person masterclasses and seeing how different types of voices respond to various direction. There doesn’t seem to be one “trick” that works for everyone and that’s okay.
I’m grateful for technology in so many ways, but sometimes it feels like there are so many conflicting opinions at my fingertips that it’s hard to filter out the incorrect ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The part of this that really stood out to me while reading was when you talked about how seeing an extremely contrasted before/after video can lead to the belief that becoming a “better singer” is about having big breakthrough moments rather than acknowledging the perhaps tedious ongoing work that is required when developing any kind of skill. I’ve seen some of these videos myself on TikTok - a student lets out a wailing noise. The teacher runs up, pushes on their stomach, aggressively says several things that I can’t remember, and then the student immediately does it again. They look around in disbelief at the sound coming out of their mouth as everyone applauds in awe. It appears a miracle has occurred! In a single moment, the student went from a complete inability to maintain a pitch, to moments later letting out a sound that made everyone’s jaw drops. 
I actually recall seeing another video, of a girl who posted from her own home/studio, and said, “listen to the difference in me seeing this same song, after taking a year of voice lessons.” Looking back this feels like it perhaps contributes a more powerful message. “Look at what I was able to accomplish through consistent, ongoing, long term hard work.” Vs “Look at how amazing of a teacher I am! I waved a wand and made magic come out of my student!” 
I also thought that students under 18, perhaps even under 21, should probably just never be posted online. With the rise of smart phones (and now glasses with hidden cameras) the likelihood is increasing that videos of someone are going to appear on the internet either without their consent, or without their full understanding of what the long-term repercussions of that are.
    I hate to bring up the book Mastery again on my third post in a row, but this post really makes me think about how to me it seems unwise to look for short cuts. Dedication to something and a massive amount of time spent in repetitions and practice seems like the way to master a skill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ve seen a lot of viral vocal coaches online. And while I do believe many of the singing principles they teach are accurate. It quick became apparent to me that the best way I was going to learn was from in person. Especially because online creator’s videos are edited and hand selected to show excellence, when I don’t think that’s what I should expect from myself when I’m first trying to learn.

    Still while I was starting in person singing classes, misinformation was very prevalent. I had a voice teacher say that for healthy singing you shouldn’t have any resonance in the nose, which I know now to be completely false. I also had one that described mix, as adding head voice while also singing in chest voice. Which while it might be a useful vision for some, isn’t accurate to what the vocal folds are doing.

    I’ve really appreciated lots of like this and one of my high school musical theater classes, Both of them put a lot of time to learn the anatomy of the voice that we can better understand the information that we hear.

    My practice has been going great. My voice has been on improving. My voice with the notes I received in my private voice classes. Right now I’m trying to find the balance between the bright and the dark sounds and the balance between residence and space, then I’m focusing on implementing clear open vowels into my actual songs.

    I’m also noticed that even though I haven’t been specifically working on improving my belt with Either you or a private Voice Teacher, My sustained healthy belt has improved by around 2 half steps, now Almost consistently belt an F4, and I’ve often been able to belt Gb4s.

    ReplyDelete