Sunday, March 21, 2021

Motivation: Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive

A few years ago, a new student was joining my studio and, in our first lesson together, we were deciding which elements of her training should be our first areas of focus. To help identify this, I asked, "What are the aspects of your singing that you love the most?" She seemed confused and asked for clarification. I said, "Well, what do you think you do really well vocally? What parts of your voice do you feel really good about?" She paused for a minute and said, "I guess I don't really know. No one has ever asked me that before." 

To be honest, her answer shocked me. And then it made me sad. This student had been studying singing most of her life and had even completed a musical theatre degree, but no one had ever asked her what she likes about her voice. The more I thought about it, however, the less and less surprised I was. 

I think there is a culture in musical theatre training that perpetuates the belief that you aren't getting your money's worth unless you are being constantly barraged with critiques and criticisms. Instructors may pass out a compliment here and there, but we've been made to think that the real work gets done when we are zeroing in on your flaws rather than building on your successes. 

There are a couple of problems with this. First, it can be discouraging and demoralizing to students if all they ever hear are criticisms. Like the student above, it can give the impression that someone's singing is mostly "wrong," when it may actually be quite proficient. Second, it's just bad pedagogy. 

My friend and colleague at the National Center for Voice and Speech, Dr. Lynn Maxfield, wrote an article for the Journal of Singing in 2019 titled "Incorporating Motivation Into Your Model of Motor Learning." In the article, he commented on the instruction (feedback) that teachers give to their students during voice lessons. He writes, 

"Feedback should focus on summarizing the successes of the learner, rather than drawing attention to failures. While this seems elementary on the surface, I would wager that most of us are listening to our singers with an ear to identifying and correcting what is going wrong. All too often, we then verbalize that list of what is going wrong back to our students as our primary mode of feedback." 

He points out that one of the more popular vocal pedagogy books when he and I were in school is called The Diagnosis and Correction of Vocal Faults. It's no wonder so many teachers feel it is their primary job just to call attention to "faults." But this approach is particularly useless if teachers do not also offer "corrections" by outlining a process toward improvement, complete with measurable goals that will indicate whether or not students are on the right path of skill development. 

Critique without correction is not education. 

Imagine if you took your car into the shop and the mechanic gave you a long list of things that aren't working with the vehicle, but when you asked about repairs you were told, "I'm just here to point out what's broken. You'll have to figure out how to fix it yourself." 

But focusing on what's broken may not be all that beneficial, anyway. As Maxfield describes, several studies indicate that learning improves when teachers focus their instruction on positive outcomes while reducing their feedback following poor outcomes. In other words, students learn better when teachers reinforce their positive attempts rather than pointing out their failed attempts. In one of those studies, positive feedback not only improved learning, but also served to increase the students' confidence and decrease their anxiety. 

It's logical to assume that this approach can work in your practice sessions, as well. Do you tend to pursue what is working or do you dwell on what is not working? If you try something five times and only get the intended result once, do you pick apart the negative attempts or do you focus on recreating the one that went well? 

As it says in Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen's famous song, studio teachers may facilitate learning when we "accentuate the positive." Students may never entirely "eliminate the negative," but they may make more progress if they can shift their focus in a way that allows them to "latch on to the affirmative." 

Now go practice. 



14 comments:

  1. I loved the quote "Critique without correction is not education." That really spoke to me. And as someone who loves to get direction and really examine what it is I am doing and what I can do to improve, correction is what I crave. I feel like I am in the same boat as your past student as well. I think that I know what I can bring to the table with certain songs, but with my overall voice, I struggle to find what my true strengths are. Also the part about positive reinforcement, really connected me with a memory from my psychology class that I took in high school. I remember learning about that with children and how to get people to improve or teach them what the right thing to do is. I really liked this blog because also I feel as students we should be able to recognize our strengths and play on those to benefit us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the message of this blog! This made me realize how often I focus on my deficiencies in singing, rather than the positives. If I am running through a song and come across a part that isn't working, I will often hyperfocus on what I am lacking. I find that I dismiss the times that it does work out as flukes, and that until it is consistently where I want it to be, it is not good.
    Also, this blog gives very good insight on the teacher's perspective. At some point in my career, I am interested in teaching, so it is a good reminder to focus on positives in students. In my past, I've had coaches/teachers that want to get their point across through aggression and tearing down. This is entirely ineffective to most people, especially me, as I require connection and a growth environment in order to get better. It is important to still be pushed for success, but that should never override cultivating a positive environment for the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this blogpost. I will say, that is something I have struggled with in college. Your class has been one of the first in my collegiate experience in which I have received, alongside corrections, positive reinforcements. I literally left my first lesson and called my mom to be like "holy shit my voice teacher just complimented me!!!"
    That's not to say that receiving corrections didn't serve me-it has been the basis of my education! But by reinforcing what I am doing right, I am sure not only continue doing so, but pursue doing so further. It feels like a more well rounded way to improve your singing. If you are always practicing from a "what am I doing wrong" way of thinking, that line of thinking is sure to follow you into other realms. I don't need to be showered in compliments (...feel free to do so though!) but I do need positive reinforcements alongside corrections (for technical AND emotional purposes) and I think that's totally okay to admit. Art is hard, but it's also supposed to be fun. Thank you for making my voice lessons a fun place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE this blog post! I agree that in musical theatre training (and in this program), there are many times when faculty and professors will solely focus on the negative aspects of our craft, rather than encouraging us and acknowledging our successes. And I think that this also reinforces students to solely focus on what they are doing "badly," versus the many good things that they are already doing. I know I do that ALWAYS! I NEVER focus on the positive aspects of my singing, acting, or dancing. I am always looking at the ways I can improve or beating myself up about how I could have done this or that better.

    Reading this blog post was very eye-opening, because this idea of positive reinforcement is so important and isn't talked about enough in our program! The negativity can be so harmful and will discourage students who are already insecure and unsure about their talents. That is not to say I don't want corrections, because OBVIOUSLY I (and we all) want to get better and improve. However, I don't think I can improve if all I am getting is criticisms and no methods to correct my "wrongdoings."

    This was also a wake up call to me to stop being so hard on myself. Even after every self-tape I record and edit, I will always say "I'm going to go back and redo this because this one SUCKS." But I have to appreciate and acknowledge that I AM getting better, I AM improving, and I think I need to start giving myself more credit, as hard as that is. That helps us as artists feel more confident in who we are, which is exactly what the people who are going to hire us want from us: to see who we are and use us for our talents and ourselves! Anyway, thanks for a great blog post, I loved reading this one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like you are one of the few teachers that says this and means it 100% of the time. I've never had you simply point out a flaw of something that I'm doing. You always have an idea for how to fix it. We discussed this in my lesson this week but I still feel like it's something that needs to be more focused on in general because my first year and a half here I almost exclusively focused on what I was doing wrong. But before I came here I had a voice teacher who was more like you and focused a lot on reinforcing what sounded good and had solutions to what didn't. So it was a big shift when I came here and got very little positive reinforcement. I've talked to so many students who it seems only get the criticisms and they have such terrible self esteem in the program even if their incredible performers.
    -Myles Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. You asked:

    "Do you tend to pursue what is working or do you dwell on what is not working? If you try something five times and only get the intended result once, do you pick apart the negative attempts or do you focus on recreating the one that went well?"

    I do a bit of both. I have always said that I am my own harshest critic, especially when I am under a lot of stress and anxiety. When I am in a less than positive place I only focus on the negative, regardless of how well I am doing. However, when I am feeling good, or even if I am in a mood that is not negative, then I tend to focus on what is working. By feeling better I am more likely to keep working, even if I am not getting the intended results.


    - Will

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this blog. This is stuff I really relate to and I feel is never talked about so I’m glad you did. I agree that I tend to focus on the things I do wrong the majority of the time. While I think it’s good to fix mistakes and try to get better from them, it’s not always the healthiest to only focus only on them. I usually dwell on the things I do wrong instead of well and that discourages me a lot of the time. I really love the message of this blog and will try to shift my focus on the things I do good more. It’s good to acknowledge the things we do right and to try and keep doing them. I think doing that will help keep me more positive and help me reach my goals just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the whole message of this blog: to focus on the positive rather than the negatives. I believe that confidence can really help an artist soar. An audience always appreciates the energy that is provided by confidence and the artist will be out of their comfort level and give everything they got. By focusing on the positives, the artist will realize their true strengths and be capable of growing so much. I am sometimes too hard on myself whenever I’m not capable of singing a song that I’m passionate about and I get discouraged easily and focus on the negatives, so to hear from an outside perspective what I’m doing well, helps so much in wanting to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this blog, I didn't realize until I read it but I hadn't been asked what I enjoyed about my voice until you Brian so it's nice to be reminded that I get to work with someone amazing in this program. I find it so easy to get lost in the imperfection and things I don't like about my voice so it is nice to be reminded there are good things coming about from all the work we have put into my voice.
    -Tate Foshay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian you dog you, how refreshing it is to hear you speak on the teaching tool I admire most in you as a professor; critique with a solution. Often in performing arts, I feel like there is a lot of expectation to understand our faults and immediately, unprompted, know how to fix them. Yes, it is not the educator's job to spoon-feed answers to us on how to sing/act a song or piece. That being said, identifying the incorrect parts I sang on a song in addition to the positive reinforcement of what I did right, can go a long way on the psyche of a "Am I making progress" type of mindset.

    I wish more teachers applied that mentality to teaching, as you have brian

    Josh W

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I think this might have been my favorite blog to read. It felt so incredible to realize that my voice teacher is seriously the best. This blog got me thinking on how I view my own work. I always dwell on what I did wrong and what sounded bad in a specific section .And rather than finding out how to replicate the good attempts I always dwell on just not doing it bad again. This made me realize my approach is so wrong. I need to motivate my work by finding what I love and building up my voice to always show off what it is that I love about it. This semester especially, I have been super hard on myself in regards to my singing, which has made me so frustrated. This blog has given me a whole new viewpoint on what is beneficial and what is not. I am really excited to start working this week after reading this blog.
    -Caden Tudor

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading these blogs. It feels like Yoda giving Luke advice and ways in which we can look at how we sing and other ways we can be motivated and view our accomplishment. I love what you had to say about looking less on our mistakes. I also have never been asked what I like most about my voice. and it is very hard to look at those things. Thank you for this!!!

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blogpost is positively stunning, and the energy it radiates is directly parallel to the supportive environment you have created within the Brian Manternach studio. I feel so blessed to have a teacher who is there every step of the way to ensure that I find success in my life.

      Speaking to the themes of your prompt, positive recollection is not my finest suit (particularly when it comes to my capacity to do something, artistic especially). Though, I am aware of the power that focusing on the positives can have. Why don't I do that? Well, I'll save it for therapy. What I must remember, is that any problem is only a "problem" if you give it the power to be one. So what if I can't sing a C5 right now. Odds are I won't need to in the next few seconds... Nope, just checked, didn't happen.

      These blogs always seem to line up perfectly with the lessons I am learning in life at any given time... Maybe Brian Yoda is...

      Delete