Sunday, September 27, 2020

Drivers Ed

    Learning how to drive was an important rite of passage for me in my early teen years. It was a big deal to be able to get behind the wheel so, once I was old enough, I was eager to start the process toward earning my driver's license. 
    The first thing I had to do was to pass a written test in order to get my driver's permit. This meant studying DMV materials until I could demonstrate a basic knowledge of laws, procedures, and general rules of the road. 
    Once I earned my permit, I was allowed to enroll in a summer-long driver's ed course. Besides a class component (with lectures and exams), this course also required that each student log a certain number of hours of supervised driving. 
    During my first of these supervised trips, my instructor had me drive around an empty parking lot, just to make sure I could stop and start smoothly and safely maneuver the car. He gave me step-by-step directions to make sure I did everything right: "Put your hands on the steering wheel at ten o'clock and two o'clock. Press the brake and put the car into drive. Remove your foot from the brake and slowly press down on the gas pedal." It all seems so rudimentary now, but it was my first time operating a motor vehicle, so it was important not to take on too much too soon. 
    Once I was sufficiently capable of these basics, we headed out into the relatively uncrowded streets of my small hometown. Instead of the wide-open space of the parking lot, now I had curbs and lanes to negotiate, complete with oncoming traffic reminding me of how important it is not to drift outside of my designated lane. 
    When I could handle driving at these slower speeds, my instructor eventually directed me onto the highway to see what it was like to drive at 55 mph. Now he directed my attention to what was further off in the distance, since higher speeds meant obstacles that seemed far off would need to be contended with sooner than expected. Inevitably, we would come up behind a tractor or a combine (this was Iowa, after all) and I would have to check my mirrors, use my turning signal, and safely pass these slow-moving vehicles. 
    My last supervised trip was into the big city (OK, it was Cedar Rapids, which was less than 110,000 people at the time...but it was big to a small-town boy like me!). Driving in a more populated area meant changing lanes in traffic, dealing with stop lights every block, and being aware of a LOT more cars on the road. I was practicing all of the same skills I had been learning throughout my driver's education (acceleration, braking, negotiating turns, adjusting to traffic, etc.) but I found it much more difficult in that situation. I could easily see why this driving challenge was saved until the end of my training. 
    I have often thought that learning how to sing is similar to learning how to drive. For those who aspire to be serious (and even professional) musicians, there is a certain amount of "book knowledge" that is necessary: music theory, anatomy and physiology, musical theatre history, etc. 
    Then, in order to build skills, we have to gradually take on increasingly difficult tasks. As those tasks become easier, we can move on to new challenges that will continue to stretch our abilities. 
    Now that I've had my driver's license for nearly 30 years, it seems funny to think that I ever would have been intimidated by driving in mild city traffic or that I would have had trouble passing a tractor on the highway. Similarly, I've been singing so long that it can be hard to remember when I gained certain aspects of my technique and what it was like not to be able to make certain sounds. 
    But I know that I learned both skills the same way: gradually, over time, with lots of instruction, lots of mistakes, and lots of refining amid lots of repetition. I'm confident the same process will help drive your success, as well. 
    How has your singing been this week?
    Now go practice. 

Knowing where you've been can help you plan where you're going.


14 comments:

  1. I love the analogy of comparing singing to driving. We start very unskilled, maybe with some natural knack for it, and must work our way up to more advanced work. Funny how I feel the same about hitting a curb and my voice cracking mid-song. Both are not great feelings, but are a sign I need to be more attentive and intentional.

    As for singing, I feel like I've had some good practice in recently. I'm trying memorizing exercises before I run through some songs in order to allow me to focus more on technique and acting within the song. I am also learning a lot of really good info in pedagogy that is helping me visualize what is going on while I am singing. This is helping me to break down my own progress and steps that I still need to take into more visceral steps and exercises. With us being almost halfway into the semester, I am glad that I have a swing of things and can use my time more efficiently now. I'll probably just have a hang of online classes right when the pandemic is over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I also love this analogy because it made me really break down my progress as a singer in the same way as my progress with driving. It really made me realize how much I’ve grown and can continue to grow over the many years.

      Right now I’m learning to love my voice more I love the sound of it and all I I can do. I’m also liking the cracks and breaks in my voice because it makes me aware of what I need to work on and apply the right Steps to grow that part of my voice. It has made me want to practice more and try new things and I like to see it where I can take my voice. Again, I love this analogy, and maybe I am not ready to go to 75 mph down the highway but that is something I can work towards.

      Delete
  3. This parallel is valid and I identify with it strongly. You must know the rules/and the foundations to move forward, and you must know the rules to break them. The distinct difference for me with this analogy vs. real life singing is that progress isn't exactly linear. I have noticed, at least within myself, that I will have a big breakthrough followed by a plateau. This pattern applies to all areas of this art form for me. While there is nothing wrong with progressing this way, there is something to be said for the frustration of waiting for results. You have to find joy in the work itself!And by you, I mean...me.

    Right now in my practice I am working on my tendency to rush, musical interpretation, agility, and consistency in my mix. Looking forward, I hope to tackle more materials outside of my studio pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it’s smart to compare the art of driving with singing, both have challenges in their own right, but they share the same method of learning; progression. Like many things in life, I think the method of progression is an excellent way to learn and excel at a skill or craft. For instance, with weight training, I’ve always built upon the progression of using a certain weight until that certain weight becomes easy, and then progressing with a heavier weights to produce muscle growth. Likewise, with singing, always challenging and pushing the boundaries of our abilities over time, brings improvements and breakthroughs in our training.

    This week I feel like I’ve had a breakthrough with motivation, and time management for which I had put on the back burner for some time. I have been consistently doing warm-ups the way I should and the progress of my songs have been coming along very nicely. I expect this trend to continue if I am wanting to become the singer I want to.

    - Josh w

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with that analogy! I never thought of it that way before but it makes so much sense. Both driving and singing are learned through progression. I was always nervous learning how to drive and the only way I was finally able to get good at it was through a lot of practice and time. It took until I was doing it every day driving myself to school for me to become comfortable with it. It took a while and was very slow and gradual at first but it was all necessary for me to get to that final place. Singing is the same way. I'm definitely not at that final stage but it's been easier ever since I accepted that its not a fast process and will take some time.

    This week of practice has been pretty good so far. I've slowly been getting better with time management and finding good moments to practice. I've also gotten better at implementing warm ups into my practice time. The exercises are starting to become easier. Everything has been going well so far so I hope to keep that momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your story and how you connect driving to singing and practicing. Trying to relate driving to singing (at least right now) is not ideal. I started driving back home in Manhattan (NYC) which is not the recommended course of action. I practiced with an instructor, learning how to navigate a city in a car at the same of learning how to navigate the car itself. This is kind of what the past week has felt like. It feels like I have been thrown into a crazy situation and I am doing my best to not only push through it. Not only that but when i am through that I am successful and have met the goals I set out. The week isn't finished just yet and I am almost there.

    - Will

    ReplyDelete
  8. This week of singing has been going well. unfortunatly i know that most of this semester has been online for all classes. being near the college and having everything shutdown practically for last week and this upcoming week just puts it into perspective. It makes me sad how used to all of this we are. i know it will end eventually but its been hard to look at the bright side. working on songs has helped get through it though. I am happy things aren't worse.
    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the circuit breaker it has been a weird time trying to find open areas away from people/private rooms. My motivation seems to have drifted from me with everything being online for so long, I know it will only take a bit more effort but it is still unfortunate to have to fight those lazy tendencies off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this week was hard to find designated times to practice because my schedule is so tight. But I was inspired by the singing that was around me, and it got me thinking about conceptually how to practice and learn ways of singing that can be replicated 8 times a week, so I am taking some more time on my Italian to go back to some basic things that I need a reminder of in my technique. I have not eaten my "vegetables" in a while lets just say that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been struggling a lot with musicianship and actually "singing" lately. Now that I am feeling more comfortable with the technique it is hard to remember how I didn't know how to do certain things, so I need to remember that my musicianship is ever growing and maybe in another year or 2 or 5, I'll look back on this moment and have a hard time remembering my limited capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a very very hectic school year so far. But music, and singing, have been a great respite for me during these trying times. I have to remember that I do love singing. And I DO! I just tend to forget it when I am trying so hard to sing my very best. JT Kaufman

    ReplyDelete