Monday, April 15, 2019

Heard as we are

Progress in voice pedagogy can be like a slow moving vehicle. Considering that many techniques for classical singing have literally been practiced and passed down for centuries, the relatively new techniques for singing in contemporary styles have taken a while to earn credibility among some voice pedagogues. Little by little, however, progress is being made and we are catching up with the times.

Another area where vocal pedagogy has been lacking is in providing reliable information related to teaching transgender singers. My studio bookshelf has volumes dedicated to teaching sopranos, blues singers, adolescent singers, aging singers, gospel singers, vocally injured singers, choral singers, and even barbershop singers. But, until quite recently, there were almost no resources available on the specific needs of transgender singers. Thankfully, that has begun to be addressed through a flourish of articles, dissertations, and books. One of those new books is called The Singing Teacher's Guide to Transgender Voices by Liz Jackson Hearns and Brian Kremer. It's an outstanding resource that has had a strong influence on my teaching.

One quote in particular made an impression on me. In the book's foreword, Das Janssen, PhD, wrote:
"Human beings are social animals. We need one another and we need to be heard. And we need to be heard as who and what we are." 
This need seems especially applicable to those in the transgender community, for whom society has been decidedly unwelcoming throughout much of our history. Although, I think we all can relate to the basic human need to be acknowledged for who we are.

I believe music provides us a language to express ourselves when words seem insufficient. Considering that our voices are uniquely our own, when we sing, we reveal ourselves to the world in a way that is intensely personal. As Dr. Janssen implies, as social animals, what we are really hoping for when we sing is to be heard and to be accepted.

To that end, the primary reason we train our voices is so that our souls can more accurately be expressed through the sounds we make. It is not to get jobs. It is not to appear on Broadway. It is not for attention and praise. It is to be heard. Authentically.

When we, in turn, listen to others with the same openness and acceptance with which we ourselves wish to be heard, we build a society that honors individuals while recognizing that our greatest strength is found in community. That is the society we desperately need and absolutely deserve.

Thanks for a great year. I'm so grateful that you all have the courage to do this work.

And please, PLEASE keep sharing your voices as authentically and enthusiastically as you are able, as if the world depends on it. I'm quite certain that it does.


8 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaa I can't believe it's the end of the year! Mind=Blown. But seriously, this year has flown by and if this is what the next 3 years are like, oh boy. But I loved this blog! That's what I love about listening to people sing; everyone has their own unique instrument that belongs to them and only them. I've never thought about how singing could be considered 'personal', but under the logic of everyone wanting to be heard and sharing something completely unique to them, singing has a deeper meaning for me now. I've always loved singing and it's always been a way for me to feel happy, but what you said makes singing all the more important now!
    And yay!!! That is so cool that there are finally books and dissertations about transgender voices being published and being written. That is such a huge step of inclusion and I'm really happy that it is something that people can now study and learn more in-depth about their voices! Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still blows my mind that everyone has a completely unique voice and that none of us sound the exact same. It just shows you that we all have something to say (or sing) and that everyone brings a unique perspective on life and about the world around them. I think it's so wonderful that there is finally books and research out there for transgender voices so people can have the voice that they need to be who they are and speak their truth through. And it is a vital step towards inclusion to have these resources available for the trans community.
    And what a great thing to keep in mind for juries, that we all have a unique voice and to share it boldly and authentically. And Thank you for the great year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These past two years in the program have just flown by. You have worked wonders on my voice technique and me as a human being. This semester specifically I think I have really started to explore and discover the songs and material I enjoy singing as well as what I sound good on. I think I have also found new parts of my voice and working on my mix has been the biggest advancement so far. Thanks for everything thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the authenticity of the voice is something that can easily be overlooked if we are not careful. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the work, we forget (well at least I do) why we are doing it. I am glad to see more inclusivity in all types of styles and singers in the training aspect. I think there is so much to be learned about what and how we sing now, and how we will sing in 10 years. It’s interesting to see contemporary music growing, and I hope we can work ways to make the styles intertwine in this job field. Whatever aids in expression, like this post state is important and valid. I’m glad to have the opportunity to step back and look at the authenticity of voice and this type of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this year has gone by so fast. It seems like just yesterday we started. This blog is very interesting to me. It's not easy to remember that everyone has their own unique voices. Which transfers over into our learning techniques. Its crazy to think that everyone needs something different for their own voice, different warm-ups, different song selection and different vocal teachers. I feel that I have definitely discovered so much about my voice this semester, and many of the things we are working on are starting to click for me. I am extremely excited to see what journey the next three years take me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was literally JUST listening to a song and thinking "wow that person really can share a feeling with their voice". I think it's incredible when people are able to share an idea, feeling, or belief through songs. There's lots of songs where you can't even really make out the lyrics but you still understand what the music is trying to say. That's honestly my whole comment. I think it's amazing when people are able to share purely through their voices!

    -Michael Davies

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete