Saturday, February 23, 2019

High efficiency

We're going to be replacing our furnace pretty soon. Generally, furnaces last about 15-20 years and ours will turn 20 this year. (Yes, my furnace is older than some of you. *sigh*)

In the interest of being responsible consumers, and as people who try to be environmentally minded, we may buy a "high-efficiency" furnace this time. Although they cost more money, they can heat a house while using less energy than a standard furnace, which may save us money in the long run. In essence, high-efficiency furnaces get more output (heat) with less input (energy burned).

When we break it down, a primary purpose of voice training is to turn our voices into high-efficiency machines.

One of the greatest inhibitors of efficient singing is unnecessary tension. Of course, singing is not a lazy or completely relaxed activity—there must be a dynamic balance of tensions in order to make sound. But too much tension in the wrong places can lead to problems.

In the book Singing with Your Whole Self: A Singer's Guide to Feldenkrais Awareness through Movement, authors Samuel H. Nelson and Elizabeth L. Blades explain that when we unnecessarily tighten a muscle (or a group of muscles), it takes more effort and force to complete tasks (like singing). This extra effort leads to three things:
  1. We get tired faster.
  2. We're more likely to get injured.
  3. Our voices sound strained. 
The authors describe this further:
"As fatigue is a function of energy expended versus energy available, obviously, for any given task, the less energy used, the less tired we will be. With extra effort, injuries are more likely both because the extra effort itself leads to added strain and wear and tear and because as we tire injuries are more likely. As more effort is made, a tense quality envelops the musculature. Since the sound we produce is a product of our entire self, this tense quality colors our sound."  -Singing with Your Whole Self, p.28
One of the Awareness Through Movement (ATM) exercises they encourage in the book is similar to the head-and-neck exercise I have had all of you do at one point or another. Moving your head back and forth a few inches encourages a sense of looseness at the upper shoulders, neck, jaw, tongue, face, etc., which can release unnecessary tensions and increase vocal efficiency before you even start to make sound.

Sure, no one comes out of a performance and says, "Wow, that was some really efficient singing up there!" But when our singing is more efficient, our voices will last longer and we will be able to place more of our effort and attention on the expressive elements of our musical storytelling.

And, just like a high-efficiency furnace, the more bang (or belting) for your buck, the better off you'll be.

How has your singing been this week? How can you bring more efficiency into your singing?

Now go practice.
Our cat (Claude) knows that although the fire on the TV is more impressive,
the actual gas fireplace is more efficient at getting him warm.

4 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to get a little hint of what this blog post would be about during our last lesson because we were talking about efficiency. For me, I was using multiple different parts of my mouth while trying to sing a vowel sound, but you pointed out that I was using too many and that if I limit and just use the only parts I actually need to sing that vowel, that I'm saving my body that little bit of effort and keeping it in reserve for later. Really cool mini-lesson you gave me, because I never thought of efficiency within the body that way before. I never figured that when you stop to use only what you need that you are conserving for what you may need down later. Having played sports, I wish I would've realized this a couple years sooner.
    Love the relation you made with your cat to the fireplace and the video of the fire, cool to have a picture of the idea that when you realize what is more efficient and helping you out that you will then go towards that because you know the positives it will provide for you.

    I'll see you Tuesday for the masterclass.

    -Connor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as though learning to sing more efficiently is more or less my main goal right now. I want to be able to sing all those impressive tenor songs and not feel like I’ve just been lightly (but effectively) punched in the throat afterward. I’m able to get there sometimes in lessons, but it’s really been hard for me to recreate that when I’m practicing at home. I don’t know if it’s because it is just not in my voice yet and I need someone there to tell me minutely and specifically what to do, but I guess I’ll just keep working at it. In other news, I haven’t been sleeping as much as I would like to lately and it’s having an effect on my whole body, voice included. I don’t really see that changing in the near future with audition this weekend and next week but I suppose I’ll just have to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely aware of all the tensions I like to habitually hold while I'm singing, but I am glad I am at the point where I am aware of where I hold these tensions and I know exercises to encourage the muscles to relax. I also now have a sense when I start to push and know if I keep that up I will start straining. It's so funny that even with this awareness it still happens on a daily basis and once you remove tension from one place it moves somewhere else so its more of finding a way to balance where it is.
    Singing this week has been good, still getting over a cold but it's almost back to 100% which is great! I also have been working on a lot of RP dialect work and coincidentally, the dialect is at its best when you can relax your jaw, remove all tension and keep space behind your back teeth, which is also the same placement I've been working on singing from and getting the most sound with basically no effort. So I'm curious to see if all the work i've been doing on that will help improve the efficiency of my singing as well. Crazy how all voice work is connected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was practicing my sides from Dracula for the upcoming season auditions I discovered the placement for the notes I sing at the top of my range! As I was working with some friends on the acting part of the side, I discovered a certain lift that I have only found a couple times before! Tension, as you know has been a huge issue for me especially in the jaw, neck, and forehead regions! I'm working on trying to find this placement more often than not because I have found it helps a lot to decrease it!

    ReplyDelete