Sunday, November 8, 2020

What's the benefit of learning classical songs?

As many of you know, the curriculum for anyone taking voice lessons through the Department of Theatre includes study and performance of at least one song in a classical genre (opera, oratorio, art song) each of your first six semesters. For the first couple of years, this tends to involve songs from the good ol' 26 Italian Songs and Arias book. 

Why do we put you through this unique form of torture? Don't we understand that you are theater majors and not opera majors? These are fair questions. There are actually a number of practical reasons it can benefit theater majors to develop a vocal technique appropriate for singing in multiple genres, especially classical. 

First, there are musicals (and specific roles within musicals) that require a vocal sound that is much closer to classical than to contemporary mix/belt. This includes many musicals of the Golden Age as well as some modern shows, like A Light in the Piazza and A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

Second, an increasing number of professional opera companies are adding musicals to their seasons, and they generally perform those musicals with more of a classical sound. Case in point, several years ago, both the Pioneer Theatre Company and Utah Opera produced Man of La Mancha within a couple seasons of each other. Pioneer's production employed a more contemporary music theater sound, whereas Utah Opera's production was decidedly more operatic. Even so, both companies hired several of our department students and graduates for the productions because they had the vocal flexibility to adjust their sound accordingly. 

Third, many opera companies (summer-stock companies especially) hire resident artists or resident ensembles for an entire season at a time. Often, these seasons include shows like La Traviata alongside Pirates of Penzance alongside Hello, Dolly! Singers who understand the difference between classical and contemporary musical theatre technique (and who are comfortable singing in languages other than English) could be hired for an entire season of shows. 

Fourth, singers earning performance degrees are eligible for more jobs if they are able to perform with stylistic authenticity in multiple genres. That may involve singing in churches, temples, or synagogues, singing in professional choirs (like symphony choruses), or even being a singing server in a restaurant. One of my students was a waiter in an Italian restaurant and would often get asked to sing. Pulling off an a cappella version of Caro mio ben always earned him better tips!

Of course, in most of these situations, it's not enough to sing with a classical technique. You also have to have a body of classical repertoire that you can draw upon for auditions. Ideally, this would include at least two (if not five) contrasting operatic arias. It would be even better if these pieces are in multiple languages. 

Naturally, none of this is required of you. If you are only interested in performing music theater, that's fine. Even if you're only interested in performing contemporary music theater, that's fine, too. But it does limit your opportunities to get hired. I'm also pretty certain that performing in classical settings will build your musical and performance skills in ways that will make you a stronger music theater performer. It will also build your contacts in the performance world, and that may lead to additional opportunities down the road. 

How has your singing been this week? Now that we're in the last month of the semester, how will you adjust your practicing to make sure you are ready for your final performances? 

Now go practice.


13 comments:

  1. I definitely get the need for a large repertoire of music with contrasting styles. I would love to sing in an opera if I had the chance some day. Practice this week has been going steady, some bumps in the road but overall my voice has been doing alright. I would love to sing some more operatic songs in the future of my time working with you Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly have loved that we focus on a classical Italian piece each semester. I think it has opened me up to a new world of my voice and my capabilities.

    Nearing the end of the semester I think my two goals are to become completely solid on my set list and how I need to change/position my voice in order to best fit each song. Secondly to act my songs and really find the emotion in each and be able to convey an entire story in 16-32 bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% see the applicability of classical music in our repertoire. For me, being a baritone, there are many more roles that call for a more classical sounding baritone, especially in Golden Age musicals. Also basses/baritones are often needed in choirs, so flexibility of style would be incredibly helpful for me. I also just enjoy singing classical songs now! At first I struggled to get into it, but as my voice grows I find a lot of freedom and openness in classical music due to the purer vowels and lack of diphthongs.
    Practice has been good this week! In pedagogy we talked more about me needing to over-articulate and open everything more in order to help communicate the story. I do find that I often focus too much on how I'm sounding, and the sounds comes with the vowels so I look past strong consonants. I'm hoping to change this and use it to better strengthen my performance in both the acting and the singing aspect. At this point in my schooling, though, I'm really starting to feel an awareness and I am much better equipped to make positive changes in my voice. Last year I felt that I didn't have a solid grip on what my voice is and how it operates, so I could really only go off of vague ideas of what works and what doesn't. Further instruction and lessons have shown me so much in what my voice can be capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the beginning of my vocal training in high school my voice coach always had many classical songs that I would work on. They were never my favorite but looking back I look at the importance of learning those pieces of music and learning classical singing techniques. I fully agree that classical music is very important for any singer to learn. I have learned many things to help improve my voice through learning from classical voice teachers. My practice honestly has been going a lot better then it use to. I have been struggling a lot this semester on keeping up on things but looking at my practice time as more of a time to just enjoy singing and an opportunity to grow my technique has really benefited me rather then looking at it as an assignment. I am going to put all my effort into the last little but of the semester so I can get everything I possibly can out of it.
    -Sam Nakken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classical training has allowed me to have a head voice-opening a whole world of roles up to me. I will likely be playing soprano roles for the rest of my life, so having this skill set is crucial for me. The ability to learn music that is out of your comfort zone (for example-in another language!) is also very valuable. Being a well rounded singer is crucial in this industry-look at Jesse Mueller! She was in both Carousel and Waitress. That kind of versatility will be, if not already IS, expected of artists.
    If musical theatre is the meat, then classical music is the bones.
    -Abby D

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first started singing, I definitely did not see the need to practice classical songs if I wanted to do musical theatre. But the more and more time I spend in the program and in voice lessons, the more I have appreciated the classical side of my voice and classical repertoire. There is a beauty to it that can be comforting, and like Brian said above, we all need to be versatile if we want to be working out in the world. Classical singing also helps build our technique, which is required in any style of singing.

    Practicing has been pretty good this week. I have taken the time to warm up my voice every day, so I don't sound AWFUL during my jury. Right now, since juries are coming up, most of my practicing has been dedicating to just running my set and memorizing my songs. I will say, it's been difficult trying to sing for 9 minutes straight, but hopefully with practice, it'll get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it funny that you call classical singing and songs a "unique form of torture." While many students will agree with this statement, I don't, at least not on the whole. I find learning how to sing classically very helpful. While I love singing musical theatre, I find the challenge of singing classical songs intriguing and understanding not only the technique behind the singing but some of the theory behind it fascinating. I don't love everything I hear or that I'm asked to sing. However, I'm always willing to learn more.

    As for my singing over the last week, it has gone well. I worked on my four jury songs, and have been trying to figure out where my breath placement will be. One song in particular that I have been working on for a while I have finally nailed down (Lonely House). This is where learning how to sing classically comes in. While I started out singing this song entirely classically, to get the right feel for it I had to also throw theatre in as well.
    - Will

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do 100 percent see the benefit of singing these classical songs and i need to get past the technical parts and give that song just as much power as the others. this week has been different. in fact all of tomorrow i am driving back home so next time you see me i will be in my room. i will be working harder on each song to make sure they are already ahead of time.

    Alex Fish

    ReplyDelete
  9. My singing this week has been oriented towards my studio piece. I think because of that it has been very productive, I have to marry the movements and acting as well as the vocal requirements of the song and integrating all of those aspects to make it a real performance. I very much understand that classical training is beneficial to our overall training and I think it’s lost sometimes that the more flexible you are in not just our field, but rather any field, the more likely you are to be hired and that’s exactly what we are doing with the operatic type singing with the Italian songs. I definitely like a contemporary song over a classical however, I recognize the importance of it and will continue to grow hopefully with those Italian songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this? Make sure to sign your name so I can give you credit!

      Delete
  10. Not going to lie, as soon as I read your title blog, I got really excited. I used to absolutely hate classical music until I was exposed to ones that I really liked. Classical repertoire is very important and essential as it is the base of singing and it’s the foundation of a lot of the contemporary sound we hear in modern music. I’ve seen on Tiktok, opera singers belting Don’t Rain on my Parade, and they sound absolutely incredible. I do believe it’s crucial in our training and I love being able to sing Italian or other languages when I have the opportunity! I want to be able to be versatile and sing classically and contemporary. My favorite musical, which you have mentioned, is The Light in the Piazza, and I would love to play the role of Fabrizio one day if I have the opportunity to. I also completely agree that classical music can open up many doors for us performers! I was able to work in a church choir last year because of classical training and it was very fun! I’ve recently been listening to more opera and wondering if I should consider going into opera one day when I’m much older. A goal of mine by the end of the 4 years of my training here, is to be able to sing Nessun Dorma. IT’S SO HIGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't hate classical at all and I respect it but I know I never will be in love with it, at least it seems to be that way so far. My practice for Juries has been eh but I'll buckle down in these next two weeks and really polish them. However I have been exploring other genres of singing with my practice and that has been really illuminating to start see what makes my voice my voice, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
    -Brendan Lowry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really liked singing Italian. It made me feel like I was proficient, that I could sing pure vowels, and that my tone and vibrato was more consistent. I think having that as a baseline really helped my other rep. Excited for my jury this semester, I really like everything I'm singing and I've been feeling a lot more confident!

    ReplyDelete