Sunday, February 14, 2016

Speak easy

No, this post is not about Prohibition or bootlegging. (sorry to disappoint)

There is an old Italian, bel canto phrase that says, “Si canta come si parla” or “You sing as you speak.” The idea is that if you have bad habits in the way you speak, those habits will impact your singing voice. Conversely, if you use your speaking voice efficiently, that bodes well for your singing.

One of the negative practices we can fall into is speaking too loudly. Just as singing loudly uses more force and pressure than singing at a medium dynamic level, speaking loudly can similarly cause vocal fatigue.

We often get subconsciously tricked into speaking louder than is necessary. Try this experiment: get in a car and, before starting the engine, turn on the radio to an acceptable sound level. Then turn on the engine and start driving and notice how much louder you need to turn the radio volume in order to hear it (especially if you’re driving at interstate speeds). This tells us just how much noise our voices have to compete with when we’re in the car. This applies to any noisy environment (loud restaurants, music or sporting events, classes with theatre majors, etc.). We always have to be guarded about how loudly we are speaking but especially when we are competing with background noise.

Another pitfall is speaking below our optimal pitch level. We all love the sound of deep, radio-announcer voices and our culture definitely tells us that low voices are viewed as powerful, sexy, and authoritative. But the truth is that most of us speak at a lower pitch than is ideal for our voices.

As we all know, the vocal folds lengthen for high notes and shorten for low notes. Interestingly, one study I read pointed out that, when going from silence to speaking, most of us actually shorten our vocal folds. This means that when we speak, our vocal folds engage to take on a shorter position (using a lower pitch) than when they are at rest.

A common rule of thumb is the “uh-huh” test. When we say “uh-huh,” as if we are answering “yes” to a question, the pitch we use tends to be pretty close to where our natural speaking voice sits.

One other inefficiency is the use of glottal fry (also called vocal fry). This phenomenon usually happens when we drop in pitch or trail off at the end of sentences. In recent years, however, it has become an unfortunate trend in the way people speak—especially young women.

Watch this video to see what it is (and to see how annooooooying it is):

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/faith-salie-on-speaking-with-vocal-fry/

While speaking in vocal fry is not necessarily harmful, per se, it is definitely inefficient and in no way benefits our singing. Author and Speech-Language Pathologist Karen Wicklund points out that vocal fry can play a role in some voice therapies, but in singing it may encourage imprecise onset.

There are lots of ways we use our vocal folds that can have negative impacts on our singing voices, like throat clearing, coughing, and sneezing. Given how much we speak throughout the course of a day, it’s a good idea to pay attention to “how” we speak as well.

Si canta come si parla.

Now go practice.

13 comments:

  1. I think that you bring up a really interesting point. I recently attended one of Kristen's master classes and while working with the majority of the students she spoke about pushing. There is an epidemic in the singing world to have a bigger and deeper sound than is natural. I know while singing, I often want to revel in a climactic note and push the sound out, but that is not conducive to 8 shows per week. Kristen spoke about how simple and easy singing should be, and that is something I need to constantly be reminding myself. I don't need to push, because more volume doesn't necessarily mean more resonance. I need to breath deeply, focus my sound, use intention/energy, and trust that the volume will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a healthy way of speaking has been a goal of mine for a long time... one which I often forget about. I have a habit of speaking below my optimum pitch (D flat - D) and occasionally slipping into vocal fry, which I've noticed will quickly tire out my voice, making it feel scratchy and raw. This has been extremely counter productive. However, I've noticed that when I make a special effort towards speaking in my optimum pitch without vocal fry, not only does my throat feel better when I speak, but I feel less pressure being applied, and it's easier to sing. I've had to clear my throat less when I speak correctly, and I've noticed that I can sing for longer periods of time. So speaking correctly is still something I really need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it can be incredibly easy to forget not to strain myself. More recently I have remembered to always sing healthy and not belt so much. I am constantly working on making my mix stronger and louder without hurting myself. I personally have a really soft sound, when I talk and sing. I know I have an ability to sing louder, but my muscle memory makes it harder. I am also trying to figure out a way to sing healthy, loud, and strong without hurting myself. I love to work on my mix and sometimes it can be difficult cause I push to hard. I need to remember not to push and let the sound come out, or else I will just be tired. This is probably the one thing I have struggled with for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the most interesting and new things I found in this blog post is that "when going from silence to speaking, most of us actually shorten our vocal folds... when we speak, our vocal folds engage to take on a shorter position (using a lower pitch) than when they are at rest." I have known for quite some time that a lot of us habitually speak in a range lower than our natural pitch range, and that this habit is neither effective nor helpful for voice users in singing and speaking alike. However, I never thought of how exactly it strains the folds more and how they are working harder to shorten from where they naturally sit when we are not vocalizing. I feel I am pretty aware of my speaking since voice use has been brought to my attention since high school and I am policed now in Voice and Speech class, but I definitely think that the more awareness and consciousness brought to this area, the better vocal health we can all experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my life. I often find myself screaming at something for no reason at all and AFTER the fact and Im like oh crap. But then when i try to monitor my volume i have a ridiculously hard time of figuring out if im being to soft and then everyones like "what did you say". The Struggle is real. I also forget all of the time in my practice sessions to vary the volume of everything. When I do it is very beneficial because its like different workouts doing the same thing. Control over the softer voice is a lot harder than a loud voice and there is benefit to be gained from that. I also think that reminds me of paying attention to composers dynamics in the song and paying attention to them. Sometimes i just sing as loud as I can

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally used to mix through the drive through window at dairy queen. Honestly. I would try and place my voice in a "maximum loudness, minimal effort" place, back when i was in a different form of training and before college, and i still try and do this now at louder parties or public events. Half the time i forget and end up not being in a healthy state at the end of the day. I talk CONSTANTLY and this week especially i've made it a goal of mine to talk in a well placed vocal register, to be able to be heard and understood without sacrificing vocal health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video had me laughing pretty hard. I sing way too loud in the car so I should definitely try out the car experiment. I find myself talking in funny voices a lot and I wonder what that does to my vocal chords. My old voice teacher used to get mad at me for coughing and clearing my throat so now(if i'm thinking about it enough) i try to just swallow deeply instead of coughing or clearing my throat. I think it's very important to take care of the voice, obviously, and especially if you're a singer. I find that when I have an audition I tend to take much better care of my voice (tea, not talking as much, eating better, less soda, more sleep). there's so much that goes into taking care of our entire instrument and I would love to start taking better care of my voice even when I don't have auditions so that my voice is continuously growing instead of having to take breaks to recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually keep up with loud environments very well. I am a pretty quiet sort of guy. I think the thing about this post that affects me more is the use of inefficient pitch. When I speak I do tend to be a little bit back further than I probably should be for proper voice production. I should try to be more aware of my voice throughout the day and hopefully that will help me when it comes to singing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the biggest offender of vocal fry, my voice literally rests in that spot and that is how I speak all the time only I didn't notice it until now. I mostly only allow my voice to do that when I am with friends and am completely comfortable with my surroundings. I put my voice on a higher, more welcoming placement when I am in a business/professional setting or I am trying to make myself come off as professional or comfortable. I'll have to pay more attention to what I am doing with the placement of my voice from now on because I had no idea that I was doing this until now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a really big issue with vocal fry and I have a hard time remembering not to do it. I am aware that the habitual for me is to place my voice in a lower register. I had never heard the adage "you sing as you speak" until I had started college, which really gave me a lot to think about in both my singing and my speaking habits. I realize that I need to improve both habits in order to find a healthy medium for my voice. I also realize that I am a huge offender when it comes to misusing my voice, as I have a habit of doing strange voices or sporadically singing something without warming up. In the near future, I am going to try and make it a habit to place my speaking voice in a better place and paying more attention to where my speaking voice is and how I am using it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had an old choir teacher once tell me that singing was just, "screaming on pitch," I never believed it -- while that may have some truth to it in some sort of roundabout way -- it was just an easy way to tell a bunch of high school kids how to sing a little properly. But after going through classes for Voice and Speech here at the U, and studying singing technique as well, it became easier to draw parallels between the speaking voice and the singing voice, how both work a lot more interchangeable than we think. One of the biggest things I've learned is that it's important to speak in a easy and free register and save the speaking voice for when I really have to work the muscles during singing. It's like trying to carry a backpack full of all your books everyday, it's easier to swap them out and lighten the load when you don't need to be working as much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This video was hilarious and I loved it. This woman is very expressive. One point that I thought was extremely interesting was that women who use vocal fry are often considered educated, urban oriented, and upwardly mobile. I find that this is true for some of my best friends (Mon... haha). I also have the complete opposite instict when I listen to other acquaintences use vocal fry when I run into them throughout the day. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't believe that vocal fry is one of my biggest issues. I mostly find myself using it in the morning when I have just woken up, when I'm in a venue where I feel like I can't be heard due to noise, or when I'm very tired. It's these situations where I'm sure I'm doing the most damage, but tend to forget about proper vocal use. I will make it my goal to focus on times when I'm using vocal fry this week in attempt to stop the damage as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete