Sunday, September 21, 2014

Just Breathe

In my reading and practicing this week I've really been thinking about the role of the diaphragm. Of course, we all have heard statements like "sing from the diaphragm" or "support from the diaphragm." In fact, you may have even heard those phrases from me from time to time (though probably not recently).

But two different sources that I've been exploring have once again challenged many preconceived notions about the diaphragm's function. First of all, we have to keep in mind that it is a muscle of INHALATION and, as such, it has almost no role in exhalation (i.e. phonation) (i.e. singing). Of course, we do feel resistance in the lower abdomen as we sing, which is the whole point of appoggio. But it's important to note that this 'lean' or 'resistance' is not necessarily the work of the diaphragm. In many cases it may be the work of the external intercostals (muscles of inhalation between the ribs) or the muscles of exhalation (internal intercostals [at the ribcage], external obliques, transverse abdominals, or rectus abdominals [6-pack muscles]).

Now, we may still 'feel' activity and resistance in the lower abdominal region or even at the rib cage. But we probably need to be honest and stop referring to the diaphragm when it comes to the resistance we feel when managing our breath for singing.

True, this may all be just a matter of semantics. But, in the interest of calling a spade a spade or, as I prefer, employing fact-based pedagogy whenever possible, it seems the diaphragm has a much less significant role in singing (actual phonation) than we had thought in previous decades.

I don't know that this has changed the way that I sing or the way that I practice, but as academics, as pedagogues, and as smart musicians, I appreciate this information so we can correctly identify what is ACTUALLY going on when we sing.

Breathe well. Sing well.

Now go practice.

8 comments:

  1. This doesn't have anything to do with the diaphragm, though that does slightly alter the way I think about how I sing. This is the first semester where I've done any worthwhile exploration with my belt and I've noticed two different things. One, though a little obvious, is that if I don't think I'm going to be able to go higher in my belt, I won't. But once I just relax and stop limiting myself my belt is stronger and usually higher. Also, I've noticed that when I include forward/belty exercises in my warm up, my weird middle mixed voice is a little stronger. I think. I'm just interested in continuing to strengthen my belt and seeing what it does to the rest of my voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have figured out with Breathing and diaphragm that i feel a lot warmer after a physical exercise. I feel like i can be aware of where my breath is because i have already warmed it up. i also feel like it gives me more freedom to get those lower breaths deep in the diaphragm and around back to the ribs! Also it opens my back space more! I feel because i have been warming up my body and breathing through out exercises my back space is freeing up which is awesome so i can hit those high notes!!!

    One more thing I also have figured out for me... Citrus does wonders for my voice.... since i have horrible allergies the acid in citrus takes away that unnecessary mucas out of my throat and clears everything up so i am ready to sing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing "from my diaphragm" has always been hard for me because it seems like such a far away muscle. It was inaccessible and distant and hard for me to think about singing from that place. Whereas, I can feel my ribs and my abdominals working when I breathe and sing. I think switching my thinking, which I have been working on doing recently, from my diaphragm to my ribs or abdominals will allow the possibility of better breath control and ultimately a better practice session.-- Keaton Wren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same experience as Austin where I felt like I was able access my breath, alignment, and make use diaphragm after physical activity. I find dynamics/yoga seem to really do the trick and makes the physical component of singing much more of a relief and my body is at ease. It's true that we're told to "use our diaphragm" or "engage our diaphragm" without logical knowledge of "what" it actually is and what it entails in use. In practice I have been breathing and releasing from my intercostal muscles and I have found a lot more access to breath and notes. This especially helped and allowed me to kind of metaphorically visualize the use of the diaphragm. My chest had cleared up from being sick towards the end of the week and I was very pleased that I felt "back to normal" again. I'm planning to work on my resonance, especially on my 'Aw' vowel this week (and weeks to come). I'm noticing that I am having to adjust my technique in Utah from the high altitude and lack of humidity still, even though it's been a few months since I've been here from New York. Singing is just so different on the east, and shall I say, a LOT easier. Alas, you can't rely on environment for vocal technique/performance and it's just a matter of sharpening my tools for a more release, easy, resonated, and correct way of singing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been MAJORILY sick for the past.... ever. I have that weird 3 week flu that has been going around, but no worries fellow singer, I am no longer contagious!!! My practicing has been pretty sparse this week as I am on lots of rest. But oddly enough, I am having an easier time accessing my upper register during my time of ailment... I am still making good strides with my rep material this semester (mainly with text) But I am stoked to get back to the hard work and healthy lifestyle of a normal human very soon!!! I have found a partial solution to my lost morning voice problem that I talked about last time... I have been keeping myself very hydrated and not eating or drinking 2 hours before bed, and that has made quite the difference, not perfect. But, it has helped A TON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week in Pedagogy we have been focusing a lot on the idea of suspension. I really tried to focus on this in my practice sessions recently and i find that I feel the breath pass through more easily. Ive started feeling the pressure in my neck and throat area when i take in a deep breath and suspend it. I also think that releasing that suspension helps with glottal shock. I find it especially helpful while working my legato italian arias.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week I have really been focusing on the breath. I have noticed that when I use my breath and breath more deeply I am able to project better. Working with breath during the run of Blue Stockings, as well, has helped me to be more emotionally available and physically available to my partners. I have also noticed how breathing fully and deeply has helped me to reach those notes that I can not usually reach with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andy Harrison
    I have been thinking a lot while practicing this week about having a more free less labored sound. So while working on appoggio, I thought about the down and out pressing sensation that the diaphragm has when inhaling and about prolonging that sensation through the outward breath during phonation. Now, i'm not sure if the diaphragm is actually doing anything here, but it has felt more free and less laboured. as I've

    ReplyDelete